Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's The Point....
Southernmama 05:52 AM 08-23-2012
What's the point of having a contract with rules and guidelines if parents ignore them??? Dcm drops off dcg says she is sick now had a fever gave medicine and it should be ok. Ummmmm grr! I did allow her to stay but said if her fever returns and is over 100 she will need to come get her. Honestly I'm just biting my tongue because I'm in the process of redoing my contract and these parents are in for a rude awakening! After this and my reoccurring late payers I am done be walked over and if they don't like my rules then they are more than welcome to go find someone who will let them do as they please. *sigh*
texascare 06:07 AM 08-23-2012
My contract changes yearly and after 25 years it is pretty detailed. I swear I put things in there just because of things parents do. Simple things. You have to pay me. I don not do this for free. You can't bring a child with a rash and 102 fever....you know what I am talking about. It's a live and learn business and I am still learning 25 year s into it! You have to have a backbone and stand up for yourself. My saying is I am not Walmart, I do not give refunds if you don't like it!!!
e.j. 04:49 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Southernmama:
What's the point of having a contract with rules and guidelines if parents ignore them??? Dcm drops off dcg says she is sick now had a fever gave medicine and it should be ok. Ummmmm grr! I did allow her to stay but said if her fever returns and is over 100 she will need to come get her. Honestly I'm just biting my tongue because I'm in the process of redoing my contract and these parents are in for a rude awakening! After this and my reoccurring late payers I am done be walked over and if they don't like my rules then they are more than welcome to go find someone who will let them do as they please. *sigh*
You have a contract to protect you from parents like the ones you mentioned. You have to be willing to enforce it, though, in order for it to work for you. If you don't enforce it, you're right.....there is no point to having it. I would have stopped the parent with the sick child right in her tracks, reminded her of my illness policy and sent her home with her child. No way would I have let a sick child stay at day care.
My3cents 05:29 PM 08-23-2012
What's the point of having a contract with rules and guidelines if parents ignore them???

The point of having the contract is that you are going to follow through with it, or not resent if you decide to waver certain things.

Make sure your contract is clear-

You had an opening and you still do actually, to say to this parent. My contract states that anything over a temp of 99 the child has to be kept at home or a doctors note stating the child can be in care. I also reserve the right to keep a child at home if I feel the child is unable to participate in the daily activities. I know I took her today but in the future call me so we can discuss what to do if your child is sick, and please don't medicate and think it is ok to still bring your child. You have to be firm but kind and its a learned art.

Be ready for that call- that is where you reiterate your contract.

You can't take in sick children, and subject everyone else to being sick. It is an avoidable situation.

I think we have all been there and done this and sometimes more then once. We try to have understanding for working parents that can't take time off but at the same time it is our responsibility to uphold our contracts or your right what is the point of having them.

Best-
daycare 05:53 PM 08-23-2012
I have to agree with the above poster...

not to sound rude, but you cant make rules and then expect not to have to enforce them.

Its the part I know that a lot of us like least about this job. BUT if we don't do it, then whats the point of even having rules, contracts, PHB right??

I know that it's annoying that parents don't read this stuff, that's why it is important for you to follow through and enforce them to everyone.

If you don't enforce your rules, no one is going to abide by them.
DCMama 06:05 PM 08-23-2012
It's sucks being nice to people just for them to turn around and take advantage of you. But really, without enforcing it people are like kids sometime and want to push their limits. Like I understand some people have uncontrollable circumstances that may cause them to not be able to abide by the rules. Sometime I will be understanding and be a bit flexible but at the same time letting them know that this will be the last favor. I heard sooo many stories about parents taking advantage of their daycare providers and as hard as it is to be firm its something I guess all of us have to practice. I got a taste of that when taking care of a family friend kid. it was not fun.
Reply Up