Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand foot and mouth
CrackerJacks 07:54 PM 05-03-2013
To top off the already bad week (see older posts about dcg who broke her ankle) I just was notified that on of my dcb has hand foot and mouth! At least it's Friday. Does anyone have a good exposure notice for hand foot and mouth I can use. Also, how long would you exclude. I was thinking the whole time blisters were present on the hands, feet or mouth. But some sites I've looked at say only need to exclude while mouth sores are present. I don't know if Im really comfortable with sores on the hands and feet though. Advice?
mamac 08:19 PM 05-03-2013
My ds got this when he was in dc 2 years ago. I found out 2 days after the provider knew about it and only because I noticed ds had a sore throat and fever and called to tell her I was keeping him home. She matter-of-factly told me that another child had been diagnosed with HF and M and to watch out for sores. She took it upon herself to decide that it was best they were all exposed to "get it over with." Nice to let me in on that decision.....

He was kept home on Friday and went back to dc on Monday with no issues. His only symptom was mouth sores that I first saw on Friday and were gone by Sunday. Exclusion time may be a tough one because they can be contagious for weeks.

From http://www.medicinenet.com/coxsackie_virus/article.htm
The individuals are most contagious for about a week after symptoms begin, but because the virus can be shed by the infected individual sometimes for weeks after the symptoms have gone away, the person may be mildly contagious for several weeks.
bluemoose_mom 07:03 AM 05-04-2013
Be forewarned, this can be miserable for kids (my DD got it when I first opened).

Make sure that when you define when he can come back, include being able to function normally. My dd was crabby, miserable, not able to get off the couch and function mess for a week.

My DH was one of the lucky adults to get it. He was the same way, just a little less than a week.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 05-04-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
To top off the already bad week (see older posts about dcg who broke her ankle) I just was notified that on of my dcb has hand foot and mouth! At least it's Friday. Does anyone have a good exposure notice for hand foot and mouth I can use. Also, how long would you exclude. I was thinking the whole time blisters were present on the hands, feet or mouth. But some sites I've looked at say only need to exclude while mouth sores are present. I don't know if Im really comfortable with sores on the hands and feet though. Advice?
Here is the fact sheet for providers and the fact sheet for parents that my licensing department gives us for reference.

Great info about exclusion, treatment and contagiousness and easily printable to hand out to parents

Provider sheet: http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...AND%20FOOT.pdf

Parent sheet: http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...t%20parent.pdf

HTH
Reply Up