Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Higher Lead Levels
Miss A 10:34 AM 04-12-2016
This AM at dropoff, one of my daycare babies parents informed me the baby tested positive for lead poisoning. I am freaking out, going through everything I have to make sure I have no old paint. I have painted all of our rooms in the last 2 years, so I know we are good there. I am really worried about my water though. We have a water filter that is rated to remove lead up to 99.9% clarity. Our well is also only 6 years old, and has been tested and was proven safe for drinking, and the results sheet States specifically that it is safe for I can't consumption. My fear is that there is trace amounts of lead in our water from our pipes, as we have an old Farmhouse. So, I ordered a lead test kit to ease my mind, as well as a new water filter. Daycare mom never suggested that the lead came from my house, and is thinking it is from their own house, but I just went into a panic worrying about it. It will be 2 days before my lead test and water filter are here, and I am hoping for some peace of mind before then!
Cat Herder 10:42 AM 04-12-2016
Scary. It is always in the back of my mind with our well also. The state was here last week to do the annual test. It is nerve racking, even with the whole house water filter systems.
daycarediva 10:48 AM 04-12-2016
Scary! When was dcm's house built? I had a dcb with 'slightly elevated' lead levels- it is not from here. Our house was built after 1972, and we gutted it.

Have your windows been replaced? Lead dust from old paint on windows is also a culprit.
Miss A 11:17 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Scary! When was dcm's house built? I had a dcb with 'slightly elevated' lead levels- it is not from here. Our house was built after 1972, and we gutted it.

Have your windows been replaced? Lead dust from old paint on windows is also a culprit.

DCM lives in an older model trailer. I am unsure of the year, but she has recently painted the walls. I do not know about the windows, trim, and flooring of their home.

My windows in the first floor were all replaced 5 years ago, and our 2nd story windows will be replaced this coming month. All of our window trim is stained, and not painted. I don't think stain carries the same risk for lead. We have not gutted our house, just completing projects as we can afford to.

In the back of my head I believe that the lead is not coming from my home, but from another source. I am still just dotting all the I's, and crossing all the T's to make sure my family is safe, as well as the other children in my care. I also looked up symptoms in adults, and i am showing no signs. I will have my lead levels tested next week at my usual prenatal appointment where they are completing my second trimester bloodwork.
sahm1225 11:39 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
DCM lives in an older model trailer. I am unsure of the year, but she has recently painted the walls. I do not know about the windows, trim, and flooring of their home.

My windows in the first floor were all replaced 5 years ago, and our 2nd story windows will be replaced this coming month. All of our window trim is stained, and not painted. I don't think stain carries the same risk for lead. We have not gutted our house, just completing projects as we can afford to.

In the back of my head I believe that the lead is not coming from my home, but from another source. I am still just dotting all the I's, and crossing all the T's to make sure my family is safe, as well as the other children in my care. I also looked up symptoms in adults, and i am showing no signs. I will have my lead levels tested next week at my usual prenatal appointment where they are completing my second trimester bloodwork.
One of my dcg2 tested high for lead. The first thing the doctor ordered was for their house to be checked. This was when dcg was 1 and sticking everything in their house. It turned out to be coming from their home. they had to have their windows replaced by a certified company and then take proof to the doctor.

Was the dcm nonchalant about the high levels? Usually doctors say it's a big deal
Miss A 01:08 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
One of my dcg2 tested high for lead. The first thing the doctor ordered was for their house to be checked. This was when dcg was 1 and sticking everything in their house. It turned out to be coming from their home. they had to have their windows replaced by a certified company and then take proof to the doctor.

Was the dcm nonchalant about the high levels? Usually doctors say it's a big deal
She was worried but more confused about where it was coming from. I know it's a small chance it is from my water, but as I do not provide care in their home or have been in their home, I do not know much about their living environment.
Thriftylady 01:33 PM 04-12-2016
Why are the lead levels all showing up now and in the recent past? Have they just recently started testing children for it?
LysesKids 02:02 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Why are the lead levels all showing up now and in the recent past? Have they just recently started testing children for it?
In certain older cities they always test children at their physicals if you rented a home that was older or the childcare was in an older building ( they also had to tell you that there was a potential for lead)... Baltimore City was bad for lead paint and I did everything I could to get out of one home ASAP when DD tested as a baby. thank goodness we found out quickly
Miss A 03:10 PM 04-12-2016
In Iowa Medicaid also requires infants to be tested by both ages of 1 and 2. I would never think of having my child tested for lead being as I have updated the paint and will have all new windows in my home, and our well tested safe. I guess I will know on Friday if my water really is safe.
Miss A 04:18 PM 04-14-2016
Just a quick update: water test came back negative for lead, and every other test was clear. Our drinking water is safe. And there are no other sources of lead in my home. Whew, sigh of relief!
Josiegirl 02:32 AM 04-15-2016

What a relief for you!!
Thriftylady 05:19 AM 04-15-2016
Great news! I am wondering if I should check mine. But the landlord would never do anything about it anyway. Sigh.
Baby Beluga 07:23 AM 04-15-2016
That's great news!

How does one go about testing for lead? Is it something you can do yourself at home or do you have to send the water sample away somewhere?
Tags:well water
Reply Up