Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCF Events
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 09-21-2017
I've only been doing these a couple of years and it's an uncomfortable thing for me to do, totally out of my comfort zone. But I've tried to have them late Friday afternoons, ex. from 3-picking up, just to make them easier for dcps to attend. However, putting something together while all the dcks are here can be a challenge.
So for our Halloween party I'm trying for a Saturday afternoon; I've already issued the invite so it'll be at least a 6 week notice. I already have 2 dcfs that can't come due to plans. Being me, I'm taking it personally and thinking why don't they want to come and what if NOBODY comes??? I'm over-reacting. Of course.
But my question is this....for those of you who do host family events, do you hold them during working hours or Saturdays? Which have you found gets more attendance and interest?
I've always felt parents are so darn busy anyways that adding another thing onto their schedule isn't exactly something they want to do, which is just another reason why I dread this kind of thing so much.
midaycare 06:43 AM 09-21-2017
I don't invite parents. Halloween and Easter are my 2 parties and only for the kids. I had a parent come once and it was awkward.

I generally don't want to see the parents more than I have to
MarinaVanessa 07:33 AM 09-21-2017
I don't host parties for DC families. I remember loving my DC provider back before I did DC and she would host them (she had a large DC) and I never went. Nothing against her but I just didn't feel like hanging out with a bunch of people that I didn't really know + a bunch of kids. I preferred to stay home or go out with my own immediate family. I'm also busy with my kids activities and school stuff during the week so weekends I'm playing catch up and have a ton of housework to do so given a choice to go to my provider's home for a get-together or stay home and catch up on housework or just relax ... I'm going to stay home.

I remember my provider saying that she was glad she had a large DC because less than half ever showed up. She'd joke about how if she ran a small DC only 2 would show up.
Baby Beluga 08:55 AM 09-21-2017
I also don't invite parents. The children and I have parties/fun events and I share photos with the parents.

Honestly, I have had parents complain before that their previous center/provider would hold parties and events and parents were expected to attend. I think at this age, many parents see it as unnecessary and one more thing that are expected to participate in when they don't really want to.

They DO love that the children get to participate though and enjoy seeing the pictures/hearing the stories from their children.
daycarediva 09:12 AM 09-21-2017
I used to invite parents, but as behavioral expectations declined over the years I have been more and more nervous about them. My last straw was two Halloweens ago. It was changing of the guard behavior, from 10 kids, and parents not doing anything. I had to take charge. ALL of the kids had a seat at the table. We chatted about behavioral expectations and what I KNEW they could do. Then *I* chose their activity. They frosted sugar cookies that we made that morning at the table. We ate them. We read a story and then I wrapped that 'party' up.

I had done the same as previous years- set up various centers with instructions for each game/activity and invited the parents to have fun with their child. I assumed (as in previous years) I would be with the child/ren without parents. NOPE. Instead, they let the kids loose to DESTROY the centers and did nothing but laugh and joke with each other that this 'party' needed booze. I said "Isn't this scary enough?" right before doing their parenting for them.

NEVER AGAIN.

Last year, several parents asked why no party. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I told them- oh we are having it- just not inviting parents this year.
Josiegirl 09:49 AM 09-21-2017
For that ridiculous part of STARS and parent events, we have to do 3 things annually, along with having a teaching event and something for a community service type project. Ugh. Otherwise, I'd host a small fun time for dcks only.....halloween food/cupcakes/goodie bags and then go home to run off their sugar high. Wham bam....
So now when I try to plan something I usually try to make it into a family affair. But depending on how many come to this event on a Saturday, I might stick to 90 minutes of funfunfun on a Friday afternoon and call it good.
redmaple 09:56 AM 09-21-2017
Can the 'events' be something smaller scale like muffins & tea or coffee to go for parents one morning before heading to work? Or a take out brown bag that their children decorated with muffins inside etc. Child hands parent the brown bag to go & you snap a picture. A few smaller events that take up both less of your time and client time might have higher turn outs.
laundrymom 11:56 AM 09-21-2017
I do a walking tour of our downtown farmers market in the spring and fall. I buy each child something from one of the vendors and we explore the market as a lazy group. If it gets too hectic or they lag behind I let them catch up but don't wait. Then I say goodbye, and pass out their treat at the end and head to a coffee shop.
Not everyone comes. But it's a fun morning.
Kajada 12:11 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I do a walking tour of our downtown farmers market in the spring and fall. I buy each child something from one of the vendors and we explore the market as a lazy group. If it gets too hectic or they lag behind I let them catch up but don't wait. Then I say goodbye, and pass out their treat at the end and head to a coffee shop.
Not everyone comes. But it's a fun morning.
That sounds wonderful!
kendallina 06:22 PM 09-21-2017
I do a fall family event where we go a farm for a couple of hours in the morning. I ask families to me know of mornings that are good our not good and i to schedule around that. I pretty much that parents have come i don't transport kids.

I also do evening party (usually a Friday evening) at Valentines day. Its apotluck and Sing along.

Sometimes i do Pastries with parents around Mothers day from 830-900 am Open house style.
Lil_Diddle 07:22 PM 09-21-2017
We do classroom parties, I do not invite parents and no one has ever offered to come. Which is fine by me. Party days are hectic enough and I know children behave differently when their parents are present. We do go on field trips and family is welcome, but not required. I do not mind that at all because every extra set of eyes and ears and hands are a blessing when we are out with young children.

For the first time this year I had a family fun day. The children and I just did a unit on apples so this past Saturday I invited families to come to the orchard with us and pick apples, play at the playground and have a snack. Only two families came and it was getting ready to storm (even though there was a minimal chance of rain). It went over really well and I'm already considering what to do for the next one.

I am a family childcare and I would not host a family fun day here because the kids are here all the time and I do not want everyone here more than they have to be. I also would make whatever we do something that parents can share the responsibility and the expense. I've even consider having like my own pta. And instead of me doing all the planning let them decide what we should do.
Unregistered 01:15 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I've only been doing these a couple of years and it's an uncomfortable thing for me to do, totally out of my comfort zone. But I've tried to have them late Friday afternoons, ex. from 3-picking up, just to make them easier for dcps to attend. However, putting something together while all the dcks are here can be a challenge.
So for our Halloween party I'm trying for a Saturday afternoon; I've already issued the invite so it'll be at least a 6 week notice. I already have 2 dcfs that can't come due to plans. Being me, I'm taking it personally and thinking why don't they want to come and what if NOBODY comes??? I'm over-reacting. Of course.
But my question is this....for those of you who do host family events, do you hold them during working hours or Saturdays? Which have you found gets more attendance and interest?
I've always felt parents are so darn busy anyways that adding another thing onto their schedule isn't exactly something they want to do, which is just another reason why I dread this kind of thing so much.
3 family events per year, on Saturdays
Snowmom 01:42 PM 09-22-2017
Back when I used to like adults, I'd have a summer party every June.

I'd do it on a Saturday- late morning.
Parents could choose to hang out or not. I presented it that way too. All families would come, but only 3 out of around 10 families would have a parent here hanging out. Usually the ones I really loved anyway.

I rented a bounce house and set up the slip n' slide. I'd have snack and finger sandwiches.
It lasted until around 1-2 pm.

I started really disliking the parenting styles I've seen in the last 3-5 years, so I stopped doing this. Instead, I still have a "summer party", but it's on a Friday for the kids only.
Tags:dcf
Reply Up