Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did I Do The Right Thing?
blandino 01:50 AM 11-10-2012
My usual posts, looking for validation. I have a back bone - but need validation after I use it.

DCB was out sick on Thursday with a stomach bug (he vomited and ran a fever Wednesday night), was fine all day Thursday (mom said no fever or vomiting). Came back to daycare this morning, and within an hour of being here had two episodes of diarrhea, one that went up the back while he was standing. So we called mom to pick him up. She seemed put off, but not angry. They are one of my favorite daycare families, so I really felt bad.

Our illness policy includes diarrhea, but normally I would wait for more than two bouts or another symptom (he had no other symptoms and seemed to be feeling okay). But then again, this was 2 in an hour - (which to me seems extreme) AND he had just gotten over a stomach bug and I'm sure the diarrhea was part of it.
cheerfuldom 03:24 AM 11-10-2012
I think you did the right thing. I understand parents get frustrated to have to come get a sick child but diarrhea that cannot be contained by a diaper is just disgusting and unsanitary. its not just about this kid, its also about considering the group....and yourself.....you will be spending so much time keeping this child clean and changed plus wiping down all the toys they touch and that type of thing.
countrymom 04:45 AM 11-10-2012
nope you did the right thing. Esp. sinc he was sick. I wonder if they gave him some medication. I find that some of my kids that get tylenol automatically get diarrhea.
makap 05:35 AM 11-10-2012
Originally Posted by blandino:
My usual posts, looking for validation. I have a back bone - but need validation after I use it.

DCB was out sick on Thursday with a stomach bug (he vomited and ran a fever Wednesday night), was fine all day Thursday (mom said no fever or vomiting). Came back to daycare this morning, and within an hour of being here had two episodes of diarrhea, one that went up the back while he was standing. So we called mom to pick him up. She seemed put off, but not angry. They are one of my favorite daycare families, so I really felt bad.

Our illness policy includes diarrhea, but normally I would wait for more than two bouts or another symptom (he had no other symptoms and seemed to be feeling okay). But then again, this was 2 in an hour - (which to me seems extreme) AND he had just gotten over a stomach bug and I'm sure the diarrhea was part of it.
I am this way too. So not afraid to use my backbone but once I do I feel guilty and afraid that the parents are upset.

I sent a 2 year old dcb home on Thursday for aggression and right after calling his mom to tell her that he needed to be picked up I started second guessing myself.

I do know that I did the right thing though just as you did for the diarrhea.

It does feel rough sometimes after though for a little while but it goes away.
dave4him 05:56 AM 11-10-2012
Miserable sick kids need parents. Enough said
e.j. 11:14 AM 11-10-2012
Originally Posted by blandino:

Given that he had just had the stomach bug, I'd assume the diarrhea was just part of that same bug. I'd have sent him home, too.
littlemissmuffet 12:41 PM 11-10-2012
Of course you did the right thing!

The parent was in the wrong for acting put out by having to take care of her own ill child. I'll never understand why any parent would think that ANYONE would want to clean up their child's poop or puke!
providerandmomof4 02:37 PM 11-10-2012
This is why parents should have a backup (family member for emergencies). They may not be able to take off for every stomach bug however they can't expect you to put up with it.
phoenix 05:29 PM 11-10-2012
You absolutely did the right thing. I caught the stomach bug last year when 2 of my dcks, who had both been sick, came back and had multiple awful runny diapers. In hindsight, I wish I had sent them home, bc when I caught it, I had to close
saved4always 05:45 PM 11-10-2012
You totally did the right thing, especially with the diarrhea coming out of the diaper and in light of the child's recent stomach bug.
Tags:backbone, illness policy, validation
Reply Up