Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The 24/48 Rule
childcaremom 02:57 AM 01-25-2016
Has anyone had any upset dcps over this rule?

I am changing my illness policy to this today, effective immediately, and wondering how your parents reacted to the changes or this rule?

I have been contemplating this for a while now and the past few weeks of infection passing around have made me eager to get this implemented. The tipping point was last week, I am sure dcks had fevers here: checked temps and nothing out of the ordinary. But they all just seemed off. Turns out my thermometer was broken so chances are good that they all had one. So I am armed with 2 new thermometers (ear and forehead!) this morning and will be checking at drop off. But I'm tired of being a gatekeeper and want the parents to take the initiative to make sure their children are healthy, kwim?

I have included a note to highlight that it is for their child's benefit as it will help to maintain a healthy and sanitary daycare environment and is not meant to be punitive in any way. That I take care when sending children home from care, etc. I don't think my dcps will have an issue but, like any changes I make, I always worry.
mamamanda 05:49 AM 01-25-2016
I just have a 24 hour symptom free policy, but I do love the 24/48 rule. If I had more children I would implement it for sure, but the 2 families I am currently working with are wonderful in this area. In the past when I first implemented the 24 hour rule I had one family take issue with it. There was always a reason for the symptom that they felt I shouldn't exclude for. Had to stand my ground. Even got a call one day after they left asking if I could watch dcg for the day. At first I said yes thinking it would be nice to see her again, but then upon asking more questions found out that she had been sent home from daycare for vomiting the day before and they wouldn't allow her back, but mom was sure she wasn't sick. She must have just gagged on food. I quickly changed my tune to no way!
Most families will be good with it. Especially if they are genuinely concerned about the health of their children. The ones that have a problem with it are the reason we have to implement these rules in the first place.
Don't feel bad at all. Do what works for your program and they will adjust. In the end, you will all be better off for it!
Blackcat31 05:51 AM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Has anyone had any upset dcps over this rule?

I am changing my illness policy to this today, effective immediately, and wondering how your parents reacted to the changes or this rule?

I have been contemplating this for a while now and the past few weeks of infection passing around have made me eager to get this implemented. The tipping point was last week, I am sure dcks had fevers here: checked temps and nothing out of the ordinary. But they all just seemed off. Turns out my thermometer was broken so chances are good that they all had one. So I am armed with 2 new thermometers (ear and forehead!) this morning and will be checking at drop off. But I'm tired of being a gatekeeper and want the parents to take the initiative to make sure their children are healthy, kwim?

I have included a note to highlight that it is for their child's benefit as it will help to maintain a healthy and sanitary daycare environment and is not meant to be punitive in any way. That I take care when sending children home from care, etc. I don't think my dcps will have an issue but, like any changes I make, I always worry.
IME, I've had some "puzzled" looks from parents when I've mentioned this rule but I seem to have no issues with parent accepting and understanding it after I sell it to them.

I use the route you mentioned and "sell" it as a major benefit to THEIR child and THEIR schedules/time etc.
Ariana 02:51 PM 01-25-2016
I just tell them that it is to keep everyone healthy and so they don't have to miss work every time someone gets sick. This seems to go over well and I have never had any issues. I would refrain from saying things like "it is not meant to be punitive" because immediately they are going to think it is. Why mention it? They probably weren't thinking it but now they are kwim? I never put ideas in peoples head. Just because you think they might be thinking it doesn't mean they are!
childcaremom 04:13 PM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I just tell them that it is to keep everyone healthy and so they don't have to miss work every time someone gets sick. This seems to go over well and I have never had any issues. I would refrain from saying things like "it is not meant to be punitive" because immediately they are going to think it is. Why mention it? They probably weren't thinking it but now they are kwim? I never put ideas in peoples head. Just because you think they might be thinking it doesn't mean they are!
Yes, that makes sense. But... I already sent out my notices.

If anything comes of it, I'll deal. I know the reasons why it's beneficial so I'll just explain that to my dcps. And as most of them I've never had an issue with, I really shouldn't be that concerned.
Ariana 10:00 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Yes, that makes sense. But... I already sent out my notices.

If anything comes of it, I'll deal. I know the reasons why it's beneficial so I'll just explain that to my dcps. And as most of them I've never had an issue with, I really shouldn't be that concerned.
LOL! Oh well no point in worrying if it's sent!!

I am sure no one will have an issue
Cat Herder 11:41 AM 01-27-2016
I explain that parents have a greater responsibility to make sure their child is healthy enough to attend childcare. If one parent brings their child in and infects others, it effects the entire extended family of our closely knit group.

I explain that it is their responsibility to look their child over in the mornings and use their best judgement. I then tell them that if I have to be the one to send their child home, there will be an additional day added to their exclusion to allow me time to disinfect and more closely monitor the rest of the group once they have been exposed.

The simple fact is they all keep them home more often than I would to make sure they are not "that" parent the rest of the group resents. Peer pressure, my friends. I send home a kid about once a year.
nanglgrl 01:39 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I explain that parents have a greater responsibility to make sure their child is healthy enough to attend childcare. If one parent brings their child in and infects others, it effects the entire extended family of our closely knit group.

I explain that it is their responsibility to look their child over in the mornings and use their best judgement. I then tell them that if I have to be the one to send their child home, there will be an additional day added to their exclusion to allow me time to disinfect and more closely monitor the rest of the group once they have been exposed.

The simple fact is they all keep them home more often than I would to make sure they are not "that" parent the rest of the group resents. Peer pressure, my friends. I send home a kid about once a year.
Yes, exactly this. My clients are overly cautious when their child isn't feeling 100%.
Tags:24/48, illness policy, policy changes
Reply Up