Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy Cups
dave4him 06:44 AM 08-05-2014
At what age is a good age to get rid of the sippy cups? My twins will be turning four on Saturday and I am wondering if they are really necessary, or if they are just causing dental problems
daycarediva 06:47 AM 08-05-2014

I transitioned to straws, then open cups at that age. All kids in my program age 18m-5yrs, use open cups. I don't offer sippies.
dave4him 06:48 AM 08-05-2014
Straws..... probably a good idea.
melilley 06:56 AM 08-05-2014
I start practicing with open cups when they are around 2. Surprisingly, most do very well with them! The only problem I run into is teaching them that it's not ok to dump out what they don't drink. If a child isn't doing well with the regular cups, I give them a sippy or straw cup for meals and they practice at other times.
AmyKidsCo 07:07 AM 08-05-2014
I start at 2 also. First with water, then about an inch of milk, then more milk as the child gets better. By 4 they should be able to handle open cups at meals and water bottles when traveling.
TheGoodLife 07:08 AM 08-05-2014
I try to phase them out by 2. My youngest DD stopped at 18 months, but she had her big sisters to watch. They may (will) be a few accidents here and there, but it's good for them to practice. And I second the straws if they have trouble- but I don't start with them; it is very different to just sip a straw than to tip a cup and at 4 they are probably ready Good luck!
Meyou 07:10 AM 08-05-2014
I use sippies until about 18 months. I currently have a 13 month old transitioning to a open top cup because he seems ready. I would definitely take sippies away from a 4 year old and only allow them an open cup at the table.
dave4him 07:12 AM 08-05-2014
I think since they are heading into preschool next week, its going to be listed among the changes around here.

Heidi 08:49 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I use sippies until about 18 months. I currently have a 13 month old transitioning to a open top cup because he seems ready. I would definitely take sippies away from a 4 year old and only allow them an open cup at the table.

Reply Up