Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little one chokes on apples - advice?
Baby Beluga 05:54 PM 10-05-2015
DCB who is 2 (turned 2 in June) has been choking on apples when he eats them at home. I serve apples maybe once a week here and he has never choked on them here. Any idea what might cause this?
Controlled Chaos 06:00 PM 10-05-2015
How big does mom cut them up? Does he rush one place and not the other? Does she peel it?
Baby Beluga 06:05 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
How big does mom cut them up? Does he rush one place and not the other? Does she peel it?
I'm not sure - we have talked about it before. I explained that I leave the skin on and cut them very thinly with a ceramic knife. He has never choked here on them. But had two incidents of eating and then throwing them up over the weekend at home. When I first explained how I served them here she said she served them the same at home.
Play Care 03:07 AM 10-06-2015
Was she supervising him while eating? Kids that age are notorious for stuffing small pieces in their mouths.

I would just reassure mom that you closely supervise while eating and will continue to keep a close eye on dcb.
Unregistered 05:05 AM 10-06-2015
Could apples be an excuse for bringing a child with a stomach bug to care?
Baby Beluga 06:01 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Could apples be an excuse for bringing a child with a stomach bug to care?
With some families, I would say yes. With this family not likely. They have always been very respectful of my illness policies and have kept their children home when they suspect they are sick.

This particular DCB has diagnosed sensory issues. Here he will eat and when I won't give him seconds/thirds (per mom he will over eat b/c of the sensory issues) he will chug 12 ounces of water in one sitting. I suspected he was doing this to fulfill his sensory need so I give him half a cup of water/milk with his meal and then more after his tummy had settled. I wonder if he is chugging water at home and the fullness of the water is what is making him throw up vs the apples?
nothingwithoutjoy 09:09 AM 10-06-2015
Many kids roam while eating at home. Any chance he's allowed to wander?
littletots 09:54 AM 10-06-2015
Or getting up from table and rough housing w full tummy.
BabyMonkeys 10:03 AM 10-06-2015
Maybe it's the type of apple? If I buy softer apples the little one (14m) can eat them just fine, but if I buy the more firm apples he ends up only able to chew them up and spit them out. Thankfully he hasn't actually choked on them! That would scare me to death. Pretty sure that would be the official "No apples at Miss Kristy's house ever again" rule.
finsup 10:33 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
With some families, I would say yes. With this family not likely. They have always been very respectful of my illness policies and have kept their children home when they suspect they are sick.

This particular DCB has diagnosed sensory issues. Here he will eat and when I won't give him seconds/thirds (per mom he will over eat b/c of the sensory issues) he will chug 12 ounces of water in one sitting. I suspected he was doing this to fulfill his sensory need so I give him half a cup of water/milk with his meal and then more after his tummy had settled. I wonder if he is chugging water at home and the fullness of the water is what is making him throw up vs the apples?
I have a dcb like that. If he gets a full drink he'll chug it and throw up anything he's ate. I switched to half a cup before and half after too and fixed the problem. Worked at home too...he just drank too fast and it made him sick. Maybe mom could try that and see if it helps at home?
laundrymom 10:45 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

Holy cow. 12 oz?! No wonder he's puking.
Here I use a 4 or 6 oz cup.
They get the required amount of milk for their age with their meal. They may have a matching amount of water after eating. My crew are drinkers and We have water always available but I limit to 4-6 oz at a time.
Baby Beluga 01:20 PM 10-06-2015
Thanks everyone!These are all awesome questions and point that you have asked! Mom asked me to refrain from servings him apples this week. I agreed and will try again next week. If he does not choke (which I don't suspect he will as he never has here) then I plan on emailing mom and saying "here are a few things I have thought about on why he doesn't choke here" and go from there.

I know it was scary for mom to see this, and I am sure it was uncomfortable for DCB. I just don't know why he would do okay here but not at home.
sahm1225 08:43 PM 10-08-2015
She could also be asking you to not serve dcb apples because apples are not recommended for young children because they are a choking hazard. Maybe at her well check visit they gave her the flyer of things that kids under 4 shouldnt eat or something like that?

My dd is 3, but I remember at her 3 year check up I was given a flyer of things she shouldn't eat and apples were on there.
Lorna 05:21 AM 10-09-2015
I would just cut in smaller pieces for that child. She is probably cutting too large. But watch him it might be he likes them alot and is shoving them in and not chewing. Mouth too full and choking. Just remind him to chew and swallow. No more in his mouth until he is finished what is in his mouth. Common stage for kids. Thats why I never leave kids alone during meals.
Reply Up