Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Won The Lotto
Boymom 12:43 PM 11-01-2016
Just for the heck of it!!

If you won the lotto, would you still keep your daycare?
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 11-01-2016
Nope. I'd close immediately.

I wouldn't even give notice other than to say I won!

Sorry, but that's the truth.

This is my job and although I do like my job, if I didn't have to go, I wouldn't go.

I'd like to think I'd be kind enough to give a little notice but I gotta be honest...I probably wouldn't.

I highly doubt a single one of my daycare parents would give me notice....they'd probably just pay the final two weeks (with lottery winnings of course) and never look back.
Boymom 12:48 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope. I'd close immediately.

I wouldn't even give notice other than to say I won!

Sorry, but that's the truth.

This is my job and although I do like my job, if I didn't have to go, I wouldn't go.

I'd like to think I'd be kind enough to give a little notice but I gotta be honest...I probably wouldn't.

I highly doubt a single one of my daycare parents would give me notice....they'd probably just pay the final two weeks (with lottery winnings of course) and never look back.
Haha I love it!!! I honestly would do the same thing! I would say BYE BYE!
Pepperth 12:52 PM 11-01-2016
Nope. I'd be one of those volunteers at my son's school.
Gemma 01:14 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:

Assuming I won a considerable large amount of money, I would stop enrolling new kids, see this group through (I only care for toddlers and pre-k) and then quit!
Gemma 01:16 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Kimskiddos 01:18 PM 11-01-2016
I would give 2 weeks notice and then be done. Only reason I'd give the notices is because 2 of my families are very good, very long term families (8+ years) and I just couldn't dropped them without warning.

But after that, yes I would be so done!
Second Home 01:19 PM 11-01-2016
Ummm........... No.
midaycare 01:23 PM 11-01-2016
Nope. I'd homeschool my ds and travel the world with him and hubby
Controlled Chaos 01:28 PM 11-01-2016
I would give a months notice. Lotto money doesn't appear in your bank over night. I'd want to give myself some time to hire a good financial advisor and get the money deposited in my account before quitting

I would be a SAHM until youngest goes to school. Maybe teach part time middle school again - just one class. Maybe get my masters... travel...work out alot, like at the crazy posh places that have flavored water out in pitchers
LostMyMarbles 01:32 PM 11-01-2016
I would text them all..yup text! And I would be to busy doing the happy dance that I would not, I repeat, NOT, give any notice. Let's be honest, they would not give notice. I agree with BC. They would pay the two weeks and be long gone.

I think anyone who got a substantial amount would be done at a drop of a hat. We all want to be super nice and give 2weeks, but......yea that's not happening.
Cat Herder 01:37 PM 11-01-2016
Right now I think I'd expand. Maybe as a non-profit, for special, medical and exceptional needs. There is nothing to meet this need in my community. I'd also like to open one for seniors for the same reason. Obviously, it would have to be one heck of a payout.

In reality, though, I'd prefer to not have the kind of problems large payouts like that bring to people. I think I'll keep my nose to the grindstone and enjoy my peace.
bklsmum 01:44 PM 11-01-2016
I would keep most of my current crew until they aged out and not take anymore on. I would also hire more help so I could take more time off while I did remain open.
Josiegirl 02:25 PM 11-01-2016
I'd close. No doubt about it whatsoever. I'd tell the dcps to find alternate care asap but I don't think I'd close the doors one day and say no coming back.
"Have a great weekend, dcps. Oh and by the way, I'm leaving Monday for a trip across the country and I'll be back...NEVER!"
Sunchimes 05:11 PM 11-01-2016
It would be hard. I have one child who is like family, closer than my grandkids ever were. She was a special needs, very fragile baby who came here 3 weeks from NICU. Her issues required us to get very involved with her family, and I suspect they will always be part of our family. My husband's son wants us to move closer to him, to a town we love and has always felt like home. However, depending on my husband's health, we have decided to stay put until this child goes to school in 2 years. I don't think the lottery would change that, but I might give the others a 2 week notice.
e.j. 06:05 PM 11-01-2016
I love the families I have right now so I think I'd keep doing day care for as long as they needed me. I just wouldn't take on any new families. I reserve the right to change my mind if I actually ever do win!
Luke25 06:15 PM 11-01-2016
I'd give notice but no way would I keep doing it!
All my families have become like family to me so we'd all keep in touch but I would want to just be a mom!
daycare 06:28 PM 11-01-2016
no way..

my sister and I already have the plan.

we would both quit our jobs and sell everything. Take our children from public schooling. Travel the world with our children and home school them while showing them the world. We would do this until they graduate HS and then move back home to be with our family.

I would probably let my assistants continue the daycare for their own financial sake, but I would be done from day one.
Mike 06:34 PM 11-01-2016
Since I haven't started yet, I can't be positive, but I think I would continue the care, hire someone to be the provider, and start a non-profit child care center.
debbiedoeszip 06:38 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:

Oh, heLL no! I'd become a perpetual student, pursuing one degree after another, chosen strictly based on my interests. During summers (4 months long), I'd travel the world.
lovemydaycare0912 07:34 PM 11-01-2016
Nope. I'd give at least 2 week notice though.
AmyKidsCo 07:50 PM 11-01-2016
Depends on how much I won.

First I'd pay off our house, buy better cars, then put away college tuition for the younger 4, reside the house, redo the driveway, THEN if there was enough to live on I'd close.
jenboo 07:51 PM 11-01-2016
Bye Felicia!!
daycare 08:02 PM 11-01-2016
lol someone of you are cracking me up.

I did forget to ask how much we would win. That would completely change my answer.
Nurse Jackie 08:35 PM 11-01-2016
I would most definitely quit. I would give notice though because I am extremely close with a couple of my kids and I'd want to make sure their parents found great care for them. With that being said it probably would be the longest 2 weeks ever!
nanglgrl 08:36 PM 11-01-2016
I would quit even though I have pretty great clients. I'd want to be done the day I won but I would give notice because karma. I would probably give options: two week notice but you can leave as soon as you find anew provider or last day tomorrow and I give you $500. Lol
I would travel more, take my children to visit other countries, finish my degree and then probably never use it, work out, pay someone else to finish remodeling our house so we wouldn't have to do it ourselves anymore. Then I'd probably set up a non-profit charity type thing to help battered women or single mothers who are trying to change their circumstances but are having a hard time.
hottie8962 09:06 PM 11-01-2016
I would continue to do childcare buy a mansion fill it with toys and spoil them rotten. I have had mine long term since they were babies so we are very close more like family .I probally wouldn't take any new kids or hire someone to do everything while I take them to all the fun places.
Controlled Chaos 09:26 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol someone of you are cracking me up.

I did forget to ask how much we would win. That would completely change my answer.
I assume we will be FILTHY rich! Like just silly rich. Like buying pre sliced mango rich.
CityGarden 09:54 PM 11-01-2016
Most people who win the lotto still need to work.... at least at some point. Taxes take a HUGE chunk of the cash especially if you get a lump sum.

Assuming it is a good sum of $$$....

I would likely invest a good chunk of the winnings toward securing a commercial space for my preschool program. I would also aim to move more into a Director / Administrative role. I love teaching but love my time (and energy) with my family more. Only a high paying writing job would pull me completely away from education not the lotto.
LostMyMarbles 03:11 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Bye Felicia!!
Ohhhh myyyy goodness......best answer ever....I just had my coffee coming out of my nose from laughing
DaveA 05:57 AM 11-02-2016
I'd like to think I'd be nice and give DCPs a couple week's notice, but I have to admit the moment the check cleared there would be a group text saying "HAHAHAHA!!! See you suckers!!!!"
cassiesue 07:42 AM 11-02-2016
I'd quit effective immediately. To be nice I'd offer to pay for 2 week's care at a local center of their choice.
MissAnn 09:39 AM 11-02-2016
I need to start playing the lottery! Yes, I'd quit in a second. I'd also use much of the money for good. I'd like to be like Ellen and scout out well deserving people to help. People who don't ask for it. Oh that would be the best job in the world!
sharlan 09:50 AM 11-02-2016
Depending on the amount, as others have said, I would quit.

I would not tell anyone that I won the lottery beyond my immediate family. Too many cockroaches come crawling out of the woodwork for my peace of mind. True story - a friend of my dd's father won a couple of million in the lottery. He went back to his native country to share some of the money. His brother became jealous and angry over the amount he was given so he killed his brother.

I would give my families a 1 month notice, just tell them that I am retiring. I would sell my house and move without telling my neighbors that I was moving.
Gemma 09:56 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'd close.
"Have a great weekend, dcps. Oh and by the way, I'm leaving Monday for a trip across the country and I'll be back...NEVER!"

284878 10:28 AM 11-02-2016
Too heck with the Lotto, I want to win the PCH, 10,000 a week for life.

I would .... (in random order)
Pay off my house, - then remodel and add on
Buy out my neighbors house and land than make them move
Home school DD
Start college fund
Adopt kids
Buy or build a vacation cabin in the woods
Pay off Parents and DH parents debt
Buy brand new vehicles
Rebuild DH Le-mans
Donate, donate, donate anything not wanted or needed
Hire a housekeeper and landscaper (plus caretaker for the cabin)
Send DH to art school
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:34 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Depends on how much I won.

First I'd pay off our house, buy better cars, then put away college tuition for the younger 4, reside the house, redo the driveway, THEN if there was enough to live on I'd close.
This I would have to do 2 weeks.... if it was a huge amount I would enable my mom's that wanted to stay home to do so... pay off their house etc so they could.
daycarediva 11:12 AM 11-02-2016
Since it takes time to get the money, I would wait and then give notice. (and be counting down the minutes) ha.

I would pay to renovate our new house (we are doing it ourselves to save money, dh is a contractor but it's slow going with 1-2 guys and me on weekends)

I would buy out the properties surrounding our land and give them to family, friends.

I would buy the 18 acre open lot behind us.

I would homeschool my kids, hire a private tutor/therapists for ds (ASD).

I would set up college funds for my kids.

I would foster kids again.

I would paint, and build furniture, and have a studio put on my land to pass my time.

I would donate our current home, mortgage free, to a working family in need.
daycarediva 11:14 AM 11-02-2016
This is also amount dependent, obviously.

I don't think I could/would quit if I won 5 million or less. I would finish our house, move and take time off. Put the rest in college funds and an ira for dh/I, but I would continue to work.
Rockgirl 12:56 PM 11-02-2016
I'd give my dc families 2 weeks' notice, but I'd keep caring for my grandbaby.
spud912 01:49 PM 11-02-2016
2 weeks notice to fulfill my contract. I don't think any of my families would sue but I would definitely want to end on a positive note.

My dh and I also talked about paying back the child care fees the good families paid over the years.

For us, we would look into getting a house built to our specifications, get new vehicles, pull the kids out of school to home school and travel.

For our immediate family, we would pay off their homes and debt and set them up to have an income (whether that be with rental properties or another business venture).

We have some plans already in place for extended family and friends.

For charity, we would pay a lot back to the charter school my children currently attend. I personally would do a lot for charity (things I've wanted to do previously but was unable). I would also have the TIME to volunteer, which would be wonderful!!
tenderhearts 02:16 PM 11-02-2016
If it was a lot of money that I could live on the rest of my life. I would not enroll any more kids, keep the group I have until they all go off to kinder, then quit and when grand babies come, then watch them, or actually give my daughter and son n law money so she can be a stay at home mommy and we can all hang out
Unregistered 08:40 PM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Most people who win the lotto still need to work.... at least at some point. Taxes take a HUGE chunk of the cash especially if you get a lump sum.

Assuming it is a good sum of $$$....

I would likely invest a good chunk of the winnings toward securing a commercial space for my preschool program. I would also aim to move more into a Director / Administrative role. I love teaching but love my time (and energy) with my family more. Only a high paying writing job would pull me completely away from education not the lotto.
This. I'd buy a big building and be the owner. I'd have security cams so I could see everything from home. I wouldn't even want to be the director. My current crew, I'd direct to said center but there have been kids in the past I would stay with.
Boymom 06:11 PM 11-03-2016
I love all of your responses!! "BYE FELICIA" cracked me up because I say that all the time and have accidentally taught my son to say it, oops!

I don't even know what I would do if I won! I would probably pass out ha! Although I love my daycare kids, I would not keep my daycare.
Crazy8 12:08 PM 11-04-2016
It really would depend on how much I won but if it was one of those multi million dollar tickets I would definitely quit daycare. I would give them some notice, because well it probably takes a few weeks to get the money rolling in.

I would pay off my house, put money aside for all 3 kids college. I would love more for DH to retire than for me to retire but he's got the big income so it would really have to be a good amount for that to happen.
debbiedoeszip 07:53 AM 11-05-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Bye Felicia!!
Best answer yet LOL.
Annalee 01:28 PM 11-06-2016
I would pay my house off, and build a building outside of my home for child care, but remain a licensed family child care. I would also help a family member, in particular, become financially stable in hopes they would move back home. I would want a good savings as well so I could use for myself and others when needed.
Meeko 05:46 PM 11-06-2016
Quit. Pay off everything. Retire. Enjoy.
childcaremom 12:38 AM 11-07-2016
I would def. quit. I don't even have to spend any time thinking about it. I would give notice but would hire someone to come in and work the notice period. Pay off current debt/mortgage and allot an amount to be set aside for my children and their education.

I would then live my life as I want. A comfortable winterized home on the ocean. Huge tract of land. Small cabin on property where I could hold my classes and sessions.

Travel in the summers with my children. Allowing them to experience a taste of cultures and life beyond their experiences.

Back to school for me.

Much relaxing.
Unregistered 01:52 AM 11-12-2016
I'd do some traveling and then open a private kindergarten. My heart belongs to kindergarten!
Mom2Two 11:11 AM 11-12-2016
I would still want to work with kids, and I would keep the kids that I have, but I would be more picky about exactly what I do. I would love to teach more in my daughter's homeschool co-op.
Jupadia 02:14 PM 11-13-2016
No I would shut down (if it was enough money) or go to part time care not di Fridays or something (if less money). I would give two weeks notice for a couple reasons. I love my DCK's and their parents (I've got a good current bunch for the most part) and would want to make sure that their parents had a chance to at least look for good care else where, also I state in my contract that at least two weeks notice is due to end the contract and the last thing I want is someone suing me and my lovely lotto money and taking some of it away.
Josiegirl 02:59 PM 11-13-2016
I've been dreaming of winning the lottery so I could give my own kids oodles of money. They're all such hard workers and my 2 youngest have such high bills, I have no idea how they do it. I would love for them to have life a little bit easier.

Guess I should buy a ticket or 2.
Country Kids 10:14 AM 11-14-2016
I don't know honestly what I would do. In my mind I say quit but money honestly runs dry quickly with lottery winners it seems. I would love to set up trust funds, pay off the house, college funds, etc. So after all that is set up, I might as well keep working

A guy here won 9 million! After payout he was down I want to say to 3 million. Bought a motor home, last Shelby truck at the dealers and a car for his wife. That was a chunk of change right there.

If he was left with say 2 million that's only good for maybe 20 years, if not much sooner and then what! Back to work?
Tags:lottery
Reply Up