Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many "Me" Days Is Too Much?
CountryRoads 09:08 AM 09-27-2019
I find myself getting angry and stressed out over small things and think I need more time off. Like a "mental health day"? Is that a thing?

Does anyone else give themselves random days like this?

If so, how many days is reasonable?
Annalee 09:21 AM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I find myself getting angry and stressed out over small things and think I need more time off. Like a "mental health day"? Is that a thing?

Does anyone else give themselves random days like this?

If so, how many days is reasonable?
Do what works for you! I find each month I'm counting down to the that one day or several days I am off....everyone needs time to catch up,regroup or to simply do nothing.
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 09-27-2019
I think it is a personal choice. Right now my calendar has 25 paid days off per year, including Federal Holidays.

I may start taking substitution days for the Federal Holidays that fall during the weekend soon. I have not decided.
e.j. 09:32 AM 09-27-2019
When my kids were young, I decided to take all holidays off so when they were off from school, they'd have their home to themselves. I also took Fridays off so I could attend school meetings and functions, make dr. and dentist appointments, etc. Now, even though my kids are adults, I've kept those days off for myself. It definitely helps me avoid burn out. For the past several years, I had agreed to work Fridays for several families. As much as I was happy to do that for them because the kids and parents are all awesome, I'm just as happy now that the kids are school age and come only once in awhile.
Annalee 09:44 AM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
When my kids were young, I decided to take all holidays off so when they were off from school, they'd have their home to themselves. I also took Fridays off so I could attend school meetings and functions, make dr. and dentist appointments, etc. Now, even though my kids are adults, I've kept those days off for myself. It definitely helps me avoid burn out. For the past several years, I had agreed to work Fridays for several families. As much as I was happy to do that for them because the kids and parents are all awesome, I'm just as happy now that the kids are school age and come only once in awhile.
This is exactly what I did as well. Today is a do nothing day for me but it started with my own kids years ago
Ac114 09:46 AM 09-27-2019
I’m still trying to figure that out myself but I can tell you that NOT taking time off for yourself is a bad idea. My very first year I was petrified of upsetting parents that I worked myself to death. I only took off 3 days and that was for Christmas, thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. I came down with shingles and from the shingles I got mastitis (the breakout was right under my breast) it was a reality check that I need to put myself first. My health mattered and my mental health matters. So I say do you. Whatever you feel you need.
Meeko 11:53 AM 09-27-2019
Some of my DCM's think THEY need at least two days a week "me time".

I wonder what they would think if I told them I needed that too.......
DaveA 12:10 PM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Seriously- most people need some breaks from work or they go batty. Especially if you work from your home. Since we didn't do a vacation this year I staggered my vacation days so when combined with holidays I had at least one day off almost every month. I'm seriously considering making that a permanent situation.
Ariana 05:09 PM 09-27-2019
I give myself 5 paid sick days and 5 paid personal days. My contract says anything above these 10 days is unpaid, so I am not necessarily limited. I also give myself 4 weeks of vacation a year.

I find I need at least one long weekend a month sometimes but I do try to save then up until I am feeling really burnt out. With my two kids though I end up using it on things other than “mental health days” like concerts or kid appointments I don’t want to miss

My families are really understanding though and I never get grief! Super grateful for that
Ariana 05:12 PM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:

Seriously- most people need some breaks from work or they go batty. Especially if you work from your home. Since we didn't do a vacation this year I staggered my vacation days so when combined with holidays I had at least one day off almost every month. I'm seriously considering making that a permanent situation.
I like this idea too! This year I took two weeks off and then had a bunch of long weekends over the summer, it was sooooo nice!
e.j. 08:15 PM 09-27-2019
I forgot to include 2 weeks of vacation each year, unpaid. When I see it typed out, it seems like a lot of time off but it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes! Take the time you need in order to avoid feeling burnt out.
lblanke 02:00 AM 09-28-2019
If you think you need a mental health day, you probably do. Take care of yourself first. Enjoy your time off.
Annalee 10:13 AM 09-28-2019
I forgot to include 2 weeks of vacation each year, unpaid. When I see it typed out, it seems like a lot of time off but it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes! Take the time you need in order to avoid feeling burnt out.
Yes, mine looks like a lot when I am going through the contract/policy during interview and I take a deep breath every time I get to that part Some do not even flinch and some stop listening at that point, but that's OK. I would rather be half full with clients that pay with no issues than to be full with clients I have to fight with every week. I know there are things said behind my back, I am not that naive but as long as they pay every Monday 52 weeks a year it is all good.
Unregistered 06:48 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:

They would probably be confused, but glad to save the money for those days since you wouldn't be charging for those days.
Tags:days off, paid days off, personal days
Reply Up