Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not to Sure What to Think About Interiew I Had
elle73 08:55 AM 09-04-2010
I had a interview yesterday with a mom who wanted daycare for her 2yr old son, first of all she shows up and leaves her husband and son in the car, which I thought was weird because ususally both parents like to meet with me and the child to see how I interact with him. Then she started asked me about my insurance and how much it was and she wanted to know if it was a million dollars. She never asked one question about my routine with the kids, how many kids I have or anything about what we would do during the day it was all about the insurance. She also said to me oh I guess you don't ever go outside, I said yes we do everyday and she actually asked me how we got outside?? The whole interview took maybe 5min, it was very strange. I told my husband that I got a bad feeling about her and would not take her child, he agreed with me.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had interviews that just make you shake your head?
safechner 09:16 AM 09-04-2010
It sounds strange to ask you those questions! Your right, you don't want to take her child. I wouldn't take her child either. It sounds like she is trying to find a daycare who have a million dollars insurance if something happens to her child so they can sue you to get a lot of money. I would hate some people if they are looking for money!!!
DCMomOf3 10:42 AM 09-04-2010
Those questions are strange and I would have been very uncomfortable answering them. Go with your gut for sure.
kendallina 10:46 AM 09-04-2010
Eek...strange!
tenderhearts 10:52 AM 09-04-2010
All I can say is WOW!!
elle73 11:04 AM 09-04-2010
I felt like asking her if she was planning on suing me lol.
My Daycare 11:05 AM 09-04-2010
My licensing rep only gave me one piece of advice ever and it was...Get insurance, but if anyone ever asks if you have it, then don't take them.
alyssyn 01:14 PM 09-04-2010
No Way would I take this child!! Sounds to me like she would be waiting on the slightest incident to occur and try to sue you. STAY AWAY!!
anappleadaycare 06:55 AM 09-05-2010
that's crazy! i don't blame you for not taking the little boy
Unregistered 08:12 AM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by elle73:
I had a interview yesterday with a mom who wanted daycare for her 2yr old son, first of all she shows up and leaves her husband and son in the car, which I thought was weird because ususally both parents like to meet with me and the child to see how I interact with him. Then she started asked me about my insurance and how much it was and she wanted to know if it was a million dollars. She never asked one question about my routine with the kids, how many kids I have or anything about what we would do during the day it was all about the insurance.
Some articles about child care provide a sample list of questions for parents to ask when interviewing child care providers. I've seen some lists that do tell parents to ask about insurance coverage because accidents can/do happen at day care. I wouldn't be overly concerned if a parent asked about insurance if it were just one of many questions she asked. The fact that this parent's only concern seemed to be insurance-related would send a red flag up for me, though, and I wouldn't be inclined to taker her as a client either.

I once had an interview in which the mom was sitting with me at the kitchen table, asking me questions about my day care while the dad brought their little girl into the next room to play with the toys. Under his watch, the little girl toppled over and bumped her head. The father said, "Did I ask you if you have insurance?" He was very dead-pan when he said it so I couldn't quite tell if he was trying to be funny so I shot back, "No you didn't. Did I tell you my opening is no longer available? We all laughed and they've been one of my best. long-term day care families. I now have their 2nd child in my care and despite a few boo-boos here and there, they have never brought up the issue of insurance again. ;-)
professionalmom 11:17 AM 09-05-2010
OMG!!! I can't believe how the whole interview went. If it was 1 of many questions - understandable. But the entire focus (with the except of the outdoor question) of the interview, not bringing dad or child in, etc.? Unlike the other posters, I do not think she was planning on suing you over the slightest thing that happens. I think she is looking to sue someone - period. I have seen cases where parents have used their own children to enact revenge on another person by accusing them of sexual abuse. I personally know of a family where the grandparents had visitation rights with their granddaughter and the mom accused them of physical abuse. Well, there was no evidence. So, less than 3 days later, mom calls the authorities again to accuse the grandparents of sexual abuse and had trained the little girl to talk about acts I can't even think about. The day it supposedly happened, I was there the entire time and nothing happened. Plus, both of the grandparents took polygraph tests and passed with flying colors. They were cleared by the police, CPS, and everyone. But, talk about the fear it instilled in them. They relinquished their visitation rights shortly after that, for fear of being alone with the granddaughter again and having more false allegations. It was a sad situation for them and for the little girl.

So, these parents may be gearing up to make false allegations against a daycare, thinking that if you have insurance, you (and the insurance company) will settle out of court for a hefty sum just to avoid a trial and having your name and your daycare dragged through the mud. I would stay far, far, far away from anyone focusing on this issue.
MarinaVanessa 03:20 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Some articles about child care provide a sample list of questions for parents to ask when interviewing child care providers. I've seen some lists that do tell parents to ask about insurance coverage because accidents can/do happen at day care. I wouldn't be overly concerned if a parent asked about insurance if it were just one of many questions she asked. The fact that this parent's only concern seemed to be insurance-related would send a red flag up for me, though, and I wouldn't be inclined to taker her as a client either.
This is what I was thinking. I have people that have asked me whether I have insurance or not, or if they don't ask then I offer that information with a quick "Let me tell you about us. We are licensed and insured, .... ) etc. but thats it. I understand that some people want to make sure their child is safe but realistically insurance is there for our benefit, not theirs. If a child, God forbid, was seriously injured and a provider was sued then at least we have that insurance as a cushion so that the costs don't come out of our pockets and we don't potentially put ourselves in a financial bind.

If a parent asked about my insurance policy and wanted details about how much etc. and that's all and didn't ask much about my routine, policies, dicipline, activities etc. then I would be seriously worried. I don't like it when families come in and don't ask me about these things and don't ask anything about my insurance policies. If they don't ask about my program I just don't take them. IMO those are the parents to watch out for. If they came by and didn't ask about my program AND asked a bunch of questions about my insurance policy, I would be seriously freaked out.
elle73 06:02 PM 09-05-2010
I thought it was strange too that she just kept asking me about the insurance, I understand parents are concerned that accidents happen but for that to be the main focus of our interview was very weird. The other thing that really bothered me was that she didn't bring her son in to meet me she left him in the car with her husband, its very important to me that I meet with both parents(if they are both available) and the child before I make a decision weather I will accept them or not. I thought I was over reacting so I'm glad you guys feel the same way.
marniewon 09:13 PM 09-05-2010
Honestly, I think if I was in an interview in that position, with the child and husband sitting in the car and the thread was all about the insurance, I probably would tell mom that the interview was over and I no longer had a spot for her child. Get her out of there asap. Other than "do you have insurance" and "yes, I do"....if it went any further than that I would ask her to leave. Too scary! Especially nowadays where everyone is so litigation happy! Other than "yes, I have insurance", the rest is none of their business. Like someone else said, get insurance but if they ask, don't take them on. And like someone else said, insurance is for our benefit, not the parents, so it really is none of their business.
DBug 06:29 AM 09-06-2010
Just curious -- did you actually see the husband and child in the car? With the way this interview went, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a lie. And I'm betting she asked you about how you get outside for outdoor time because that was how she was planning to sue: claim that her child got hurt (fell down the stairs, etc) while you were taking the kids outside.

It's good to hear your experience though, because this is something we all need to be on the look out for. It's so sad that there are con artists like this around, willing to use their child for selfish gain
Former Teacher 06:33 AM 09-06-2010
Stay away FAR away from these kind of people!
Lucy 06:37 PM 09-06-2010
Never had one quite that weird, but had an odd statement from a mom. She said she knows a Daycare day can be busy and exhausting for the Provider, and wondered how I manage to get in little breaks for myself. Actually a pretty good question. She wants to make sure I'm not wigged out towards the end of the day. So I said naptime is usually a good time to relax and get things done. Her response, and I'm quoting exactly. She sighed, rolled her eyes, and said "Oh .... the myth of the nap." I guess meaning she doesn't believe in naps??? She left shortly thereafter and I knew I'd never see her again. I didn't care.
tymaboy 05:25 AM 09-07-2010
In one of my training classes the instructor had mentioned that if a parent asked about insurance all you need to do is tell them yes you have it but dont go into detail about it cuz it realy is none of their business. If they want to know all the details then it is a red flag cuz how does it effect the way you take care of their child. If they want to know all the details then it like they waiting to sue you for anything they can.
Tags:interview
Reply Up