Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those Who Baby Wear
AnythingsPossible 03:40 PM 05-17-2011
I have a question for those of you who wear your babies. What is the oldest you have continued to wear them?? I have a little one who is 6 months old and very cranky. I generally just let him CIO, but with summer coming and my own children home and my windows open, I don't want everyone to have to listen to him. For the most part he calms down if I am holding him, however, I would like to have my hands free for other things.
I saw a woman once with a sling type that she was essentially holding the little one on her hip with no hands. So, how long have you done it, where do you find them/what are they called.
I truly thank anyone with advice to give me!!
akmama 03:43 PM 05-17-2011
I dont much experience with sling, but iv carried my own very cranky son around for 10 months in the ergo carrier..and he is 25 lbs now :-) i had to switch him to my back, but he still seems happy in it
PeanutsGalore 04:01 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
I have a question for those of you who wear your babies. What is the oldest you have continued to wear them?? I have a little one who is 6 months old and very cranky. I generally just let him CIO, but with summer coming and my own children home and my windows open, I don't want everyone to have to listen to him. For the most part he calms down if I am holding him, however, I would like to have my hands free for other things.
I saw a woman once with a sling type that she was essentially holding the little one on her hip with no hands. So, how long have you done it, where do you find them/what are they called.
I truly thank anyone with advice to give me!!
I put my own son in a carrier on a regular basis. I went through almost all of them, but the one I like the best is the Ergo. I also tried the moby wrap, the baby bjorn, and a kangaroo carrier. The Ergo distributes weight across the shoulders and lower back, and I find it's the sturdiest support for the baby out of everything else I tried. The bjorn also worked well, but was much more uncomfortable, though lighter-weight for summer months. It distributes weight across the shoulders alone.

You can buy them online. Amazon carries a good selection of ergos. If you're in a crunchy-type community, you can probably find them in a locally-owned shop, and I got my bjorn from Target clearance.

Just google baby carriers, baby wearing, or baby sling, and something useful will come up.

Good luck, hope the baby-wearing helps to free your hands this summer!
youretooloud 04:24 PM 05-17-2011
Usually no more than 18 months. Or 25 lbs, but occasionally the older ones if I need to.

I was in Target last night and noticed that they sell what looks like a pretty nice Ergo type carrier by Infantino for $39. I was tempted to buy it. But, it looked hotter than the mei tai.

http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Wrap...7&sr=1-2-fkmr0 <--Mei tai.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1206&bih=683# Ergo type carrier. (I think this is the one I saw in Target)

Avoid the type where the baby's legs hang down.
Symphony 05:19 PM 05-17-2011
I still wear my 2 1/2 year old and I'm 7 months pregnant. It is so much easier on your back to wear a baby than carry one!

I have a moby, a hotsling, a mei tei, an ergo, and multiple ring slings. Love the moby for little babies, but larger ones aren't going to be as supported in a stretchy wrap and it is more stressful to your body. Plus in the summer they can get hot for both of you. If you love wraps, go with a guaze or woven wrap that won't stretch. I know some people who wear their older babies in the hot sling, but it isn't my favorite past 6 months. The rest I rotate between what we are doing or what I feel like!
DancingQueen 05:52 PM 05-17-2011
you can go all the way up to 3yrs or more if wanted/needed.

I haven't had to do that. Once my kids got mobile they didn't really want to be worn.
But I do the backpack up to beyond a year (I still consider that wearing).
ammama 06:18 PM 05-17-2011
I wore my DD until she was almost 2 and 30lbs. I love my ergo too. I would probably use a wrap for a younger baby (under 6 months) - I find slings kind of hard of the shoulder and back except for a very young baby.

For your situation, I would use an Ergo.
CdnMumof4 08:47 PM 05-17-2011
if I wasn't expecting, I'd still wear my 2.5yr old in my sling. I believe you can wear them up until they're around 40 lbs but some carriers have a higher weight limit. I love my sling, it's fantastic. [my trusted sling is a Hotsling] back packs are great too, like a Kelty Carrier or Mountain Equipment Co. but they're pretty big on your back- GREAT for walks though.

I sell them actually [Seven Slings] , but only ship within Canada at the moment. Send me a message if you want more info on that
KEG123 04:42 AM 05-18-2011
I wore my son until 1+. Depending on the carrier of course.

Moby for babies.
Ergo for bigger babies/toddlers.
Cat Herder 04:56 AM 05-18-2011
I tried it here with one of my littles for new enrollment transition and outdoor time with the rowdy toddlers.

It was wonderful (all my babies are teens) but only lasted 2 weeks.

She became a squirmer and wanted out.
Meyou 05:46 AM 05-18-2011
I love my pouch sling. It's a basic one with no stretch but it fits me well. I wear kids from babies until close to 3 if they need it. You can hip wear, back wear and front wear with no hands. I've had many a baby sleep on my back while I cleaned or gone about my day. I always have it with me and because there are no buckles or straps it folds up really small in my purse.
SilverSabre25 06:14 AM 05-18-2011
I just bought a Moby for my baby. I like ring slings for hip carries. Mei Ties are nice for older/larger children. I am hoping to get an Ergo when my babe gets bigger. I'm absolutely positive that wearing my baby (and the other babies I have coming into care over the next 9 months) is going to be the only way I'll survive, lol.

heck, I wore my three year old while we were on vacation last summer!
AnythingsPossible 06:26 AM 05-18-2011
I am thinking of making one of these. They look fairly comfortable, but boy are they expensive to buy! I am fairly handy, so hoping it won't be to tough to make. http://www.scrapits.com/baby-sling-pattern.html
Symphony 06:52 AM 05-18-2011
I am thinking of making one of these. They look fairly comfortable, but boy are they expensive to buy! I am fairly handy, so hoping it won't be to tough to make. http://www.scrapits.com/baby-sling-pattern.html
They are super easy to make! I adore my ring slings

This is the pattern I use...

https://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php
SimpleMom 08:16 AM 05-18-2011
Anyone else having issues with ticks?? My kids have gotten them a couple times already this last two weeks. One of my DC kids got one the other day. We are going on lots of walks on the trails...I'm thinking that's the cause. Also, may have been from the backyard. NEVER had ticks on my kids before. Yuck!
youretooloud 08:27 AM 05-18-2011
I've never made a sling, but I've made Mei tais.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48370988...facet=handmade I want this orange fabric. But, I'm having a hard time finding it. (not the suede though... ak.. how hot must that be?)

I have two patterns for mei tais if you want links to them.
Tags:baby clothes, babywearing
Reply Up