Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>So Frustrated...Eating Issues
lovemykidstoo 09:42 AM 10-16-2012
I have 3 year old twin girls that I take care of. Sweetest girls in the world, but the eating habits are terrible. Seems like no matter what I make, the one little girl looks at it and cries and then if I have her take a bite, she spits it up/throws up on the table. I serve a wide range of foods. If she could eat chicken nuggets everyday, she would. The other twin used to eat good and now she's picking up on this display and she's acting the same way. I guess it's the same at home, except that they will give them cereal at dinner if they don't eat what is served. I was so frustrated today that I had them leave the table. I have 6 kids today and I am not making special lunches for each of them. Any suggestions?
itlw8 10:33 AM 10-16-2012
You cook it.. and serve it They eat or go hungry.... You might suggest to the parents as long as they serve them cereal instead of dinner it will continue... Hopefully it is not a sugar cereal...
lovemykidstoo 10:36 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
You cook it.. and serve it They eat or go hungry.... You might suggest to the parents as long as they serve them cereal instead of dinner it will continue... Hopefully it is not a sugar cereal...
Oh it is from what they tell me.
grandmom 02:53 PM 10-16-2012
Serve it and be in a good mood. Do not force them to eat. Let them make their own decision. You only control what's on the plate. They control if it goes in their mouth.

Let them be hungry at snack time. Serve their lunch plate again at snack time. If they don't eat it then, they will be hungry when they go home.

You can't control what their parents do. Unfortunately.
kristine 07:37 PM 10-17-2012
Here are some useful tips for you to make your kids eat:

1. Make a schedule. Children need to eat every three to four hours: three meals, two snacks, and lots of fluids. If you plan for these, your child's diet will be much more balanced and he'll be less cranky, because he won't be famished. I put a cooler in the car when I'm out with my kids and keep it stocked with carrots, pretzels, yogurt, and water so we don't have to rely on fast food.
2. Plan dinners. If thinking about a weekly menu is too daunting, start with two or three days at a time. A good dinner doesn't have to be fancy, but it should be balanced: whole-grain bread, rice, or pasta; a fruit or a vegetable; and a protein source like lean meat, cheese, or beans. I often make simple entree soups or Mexican chili ahead of time and then freeze it; at dinnertime, I heat it up and add whole-grain bread and a bowl of cut-up apples or melon to round out the meal.
3. Don't become a short-order cook. A few years ago, I got into a bad habit. I'd make two suppers -- one that I knew the kids would like and one for my husband and me. It was exhausting. Now I prepare one meal for everybody and serve it family-style so the kids can pick and choose what they want. Children often mimic their parents' behavior, so one of these days, they'll eat most of the food I serve them.
4. Bite your tongue. As hard as this may be, try not to comment on what or how much your kids are eating. Be as neutral as possible. Remember, you've done your job as a parent by serving balanced meals; your kids are responsible for eating them. If you play food enforcer -- saying things like "Eat your vegetables" -- your child will only resist.
5. Introduce new foods slowly. Children are new-food-phobic by nature. I tell my kids that their taste buds sometimes have to get used to a flavor before they'll like the taste. A little hero worship can work wonders too. Marty refused to even try peas until I told him that Michael Jordan eats his to stay big and strong. Now Marty eats peas all the time.
6. Dip it. If your kids won't eat vegetables, experiment with dips. Kathleen tried her first vegetable when I served her a thinly cut carrot with some ranch salad dressing. My children also like hummus, salsa, and yogurt-based dressing.
7. Make mornings count. Most families don't eat enough fiber on a daily basis, and breakfast is an easy place to sneak it in. Look for high-fiber cereals for a quick fix. Or, do what I do and make up batches of whole-grain pancake and waffle batter that last all week. For a batch that serves five, sift together 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 Tbs. sugar. When you're ready to cook, mix in 2 Tbs. ground flax meal, 2 cups water, 3 Tbs. canola oil, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, and 2 Tbs. applesauce.
8. Sneak in soy. Even if your kids don't have milk allergies, soy milk is a terrific source of healthy phytochemicals. My kids don't like soy milk but don't notice when it's hidden in a recipe. I use the low-fat, calcium-fortified kind in some recipes that call for milk, such as oatmeal, mashed potatoes, and sauces.
9. Sprinkle some sugar. Julia eats her cooked carrots with a bit of brown sugar, and I mix a little root beer into her prune juice to make prune-juice soda. Kathleen and Marty like a sprinkle of sugar on their fruit. I know that they'll eventually outgrow this need for extra sweetness, but in the meantime, they're eating fruits and vegetables.
10. Get kids cooking. If your children become involved in choosing or preparing meals, they'll be more interested in eating what they've created. Take them to the store, and let them choose produce for you. If they're old enough, allow them to cut up vegetables and mix them into a salad. Although Julia refuses to eat fresh fruit, she and I make banana or apple muffins together -- and she always eats them once they're done.
11. Cut back on junk. Remember, you -- not your kids -- are in charge of the foods that enter the house. By having fewer junk foods around, you'll force your children to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products.
12. Allow treats. Having less healthy foods occasionally keeps them from becoming forbidden -- and thus even more appealing. We call candy, soda, and cookies "sometimes" foods. I generally buy only healthy cereals such as Cheerios and Raisin Bran, but I let my kids have sugary cereals when they visit their grandparents or when we're on vacation. And I treat them to McDonald's for lunch every so often.
13. Have fun. The more creative the meal is, the greater the variety of foods my kids eat. We make smiley-face pancakes and give foods silly names. (Broccoli florets are "baby trees" or "dinosaur food.") Anything mini is always a hit too. I often use cookie cutters to turn toast into hearts and stars, which the children love.
14. Be a role model. If you're constantly on a diet or have erratic eating habits, your children will grow up thinking that this sort of behavior is normal. Be honest with yourself about the kinds of food messages you're sending. Trust your body to tell you when you're hungry and when you're full, and your kids will learn to do the same.
15. Adjust your attitude. Realize that what your kids eat over time is what matters. Having popcorn at the movies or eating an ice-cream sundae are some of life's real pleasures. As long as you balance these times with smart food choices and physical activity, your children will be fine.
Michael 02:15 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by kristine:
Here are some useful tips for you to make your kids eat:

1. Make a schedule. Children need to eat every three to four hours: three meals, two snacks, and lots of fluids. If you plan for these, your child's diet will be much more balanced and he'll be less cranky, because he won't be famished. I put a cooler in the car when I'm out with my kids and keep it stocked with carrots, pretzels, yogurt, and water so we don't have to rely on fast food.
2. Plan dinners. If thinking about a weekly menu is too daunting, start with two or three days at a time. A good dinner doesn't have to be fancy, but it should be balanced: whole-grain bread, rice, or pasta; a fruit or a vegetable; and a protein source like lean meat, cheese, or beans. I often make simple entree soups or Mexican chili ahead of time and then freeze it; at dinnertime, I heat it up and add whole-grain bread and a bowl of cut-up apples or melon to round out the meal.
3. Don't become a short-order cook. A few years ago, I got into a bad habit. I'd make two suppers -- one that I knew the kids would like and one for my husband and me. It was exhausting. Now I prepare one meal for everybody and serve it family-style so the kids can pick and choose what they want. Children often mimic their parents' behavior, so one of these days, they'll eat most of the food I serve them.
4. Bite your tongue. As hard as this may be, try not to comment on what or how much your kids are eating. Be as neutral as possible. Remember, you've done your job as a parent by serving balanced meals; your kids are responsible for eating them. If you play food enforcer -- saying things like "Eat your vegetables" -- your child will only resist.
5. Introduce new foods slowly. Children are new-food-phobic by nature. I tell my kids that their taste buds sometimes have to get used to a flavor before they'll like the taste. A little hero worship can work wonders too. Marty refused to even try peas until I told him that Michael Jordan eats his to stay big and strong. Now Marty eats peas all the time.
6. Dip it. If your kids won't eat vegetables, experiment with dips. Kathleen tried her first vegetable when I served her a thinly cut carrot with some ranch salad dressing. My children also like hummus, salsa, and yogurt-based dressing.
7. Make mornings count. Most families don't eat enough fiber on a daily basis, and breakfast is an easy place to sneak it in. Look for high-fiber cereals for a quick fix. Or, do what I do and make up batches of whole-grain pancake and waffle batter that last all week. For a batch that serves five, sift together 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 Tbs. sugar. When you're ready to cook, mix in 2 Tbs. ground flax meal, 2 cups water, 3 Tbs. canola oil, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, and 2 Tbs. applesauce.
8. Sneak in soy. Even if your kids don't have milk allergies, soy milk is a terrific source of healthy phytochemicals. My kids don't like soy milk but don't notice when it's hidden in a recipe. I use the low-fat, calcium-fortified kind in some recipes that call for milk, such as oatmeal, mashed potatoes, and sauces.
9. Sprinkle some sugar. Julia eats her cooked carrots with a bit of brown sugar, and I mix a little root beer into her prune juice to make prune-juice soda. Kathleen and Marty like a sprinkle of sugar on their fruit. I know that they'll eventually outgrow this need for extra sweetness, but in the meantime, they're eating fruits and vegetables.
10. Get kids cooking. If your children become involved in choosing or preparing meals, they'll be more interested in eating what they've created. Take them to the store, and let them choose produce for you. If they're old enough, allow them to cut up vegetables and mix them into a salad. Although Julia refuses to eat fresh fruit, she and I make banana or apple muffins together -- and she always eats them once they're done.
11. Cut back on junk. Remember, you -- not your kids -- are in charge of the foods that enter the house. By having fewer junk foods around, you'll force your children to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products.
12. Allow treats. Having less healthy foods occasionally keeps them from becoming forbidden -- and thus even more appealing. We call candy, soda, and cookies "sometimes" foods. I generally buy only healthy cereals such as Cheerios and Raisin Bran, but I let my kids have sugary cereals when they visit their grandparents or when we're on vacation. And I treat them to McDonald's for lunch every so often.
13. Have fun. The more creative the meal is, the greater the variety of foods my kids eat. We make smiley-face pancakes and give foods silly names. (Broccoli florets are "baby trees" or "dinosaur food.") Anything mini is always a hit too. I often use cookie cutters to turn toast into hearts and stars, which the children love.
14. Be a role model. If you're constantly on a diet or have erratic eating habits, your children will grow up thinking that this sort of behavior is normal. Be honest with yourself about the kinds of food messages you're sending. Trust your body to tell you when you're hungry and when you're full, and your kids will learn to do the same.
15. Adjust your attitude. Realize that what your kids eat over time is what matters. Having popcorn at the movies or eating an ice-cream sundae are some of life's real pleasures. As long as you balance these times with smart food choices and physical activity, your children will be fine.
If you are going to copy information from the web you should reference where it came from: http://www.parents.com/kids/nutritio...to-eat-better/
Cat Herder 04:47 AM 10-18-2012
Meals should be 100% stress free for kids. (same for potty time )

Set the timer, put the plate down, busy yourself with naptime prep and let them chose to eat or not. When time is up, off to the potty/handwashing station they go. No fuss, no muss. Consistently.

Personally, I serve one food group at a time, family style, to encourage them to eat more veggies. Veggies first, while they are at their hungriest works like a charm for me. Water with food. Milk last so they don't fill up on it.

During the toddler-preschool phase their growth and development slows significantly from the rapid phase of infancy, taking with it their appetites. They simply do not need as much food, the serving sizes necessary for healthy growth are very small.
lovemykidstoo 04:56 AM 10-18-2012
If this was something new I wouldn't be so concerned and frustrated with it. It's been going on over a year. She is very very small and does not look healthy at all. She seriously will bust out crying as soon as I put the plate down. I understand that kids go through stages, my son did the same thing, but this is an ongoing issue both here and at home. The difference here is that I'm not going to make her a separate lunch than the other kids. I will try what you all have suggested though, I'll make the lunch, put it down and not say another word about it.
Cat Herder 05:01 AM 10-18-2012
After a week or two of the stress free pattern she will probably stop the crying.

Once you get there it will be much easier to assess for texture issues, sensory issues, food allergies, lactose intolerance issues, transition issues etc. Look for patterns, as I am sure you know.

IMHO, Once they are in the anxiety mode it is impossible to tell what has set them off for sure.
lovemykidstoo 05:10 AM 10-18-2012
I actually have tried just ignoring it and that really hasn't helped either, she still doesn't eat. It's not as if I yell at her or anything. I did have them leave the table the other day because it was naptime right after lunch and I told both of them that if they weren't going to eat then they could just go to the bathroom and hop in bed. I know that sometimes they feed off of us if we're upset, so I'm always very careful not to let her know that I'm frustrated with her. I think if I did like mom and dad and put a bowl of lucky charms in front of her she would chow down.
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
It's not as if I yell at her or anything. .
FWIW, I was not trying to imply that. I was not even thinking that.

I was giving you the best advice (with a few personal tweeks) I got from my ridiculously expensive, out of pocket, training on food issues in daycare. I tried them and they actually worked well for me. That is all.

The key, for us, is not to worry about how much they eat as in years past. We used to have to write down everything they ate and then qualify the "reason" why they ate little with parents every day. (I know you know this I am clarifying for future readers and parents following google searches, btw )

By also not giving "treat foods" at snacks eventually they will make better choices. Natural consequence is being hungry. Kids are not born preferring junk food, they are taught by good intentioned adults.

You can sneak in a pediasure or two during the day to ease your mind, though. I do with my underweight kiddos.
lovemykidstoo 05:55 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
FWIW, I was not trying to imply that. I was not even thinking that.

I was giving you the best advice (with a few personal tweeks) I got from my ridiculously expensive, out of pocket, training on food issues in daycare. I tried them and they actually worked well for me. That is all.

The key, for us, is not to worry about how much they eat as in years past. We used to have to write down everything they ate and then qualify the "reason" why they ate little with parents every day. (I know you know this I am clarifying for future readers and parents following google searches, btw )

By also not giving "treat foods" at snacks eventually they will make better choices. Natural consequence is being hungry. Kids are not born preferring junk food, they are taught by good intentioned adults.

You can sneak in a pediasure or two during the day to ease your mind, though. I do with my underweight kiddos.
Oh No, I know you're not telling me that. I sincerely appreciate your advice. I just wanted others to know that I am not yelling at her. Well, maybe on the inside I am LOL. You know how kids are though and they can still sense if we're upset with them. So, I will take your advice and change my perspective. Maybe if I dont' even feel the frustration inside, she won't get that vibe from me either. I really do appreciate your tips!
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 10-18-2012
I know! Changing the perspective is hard!!

Buying good quality food, spending time preparing it, agonizing over menus, worrying about rising food costs, knowing that proper mental development relies on proper nutrition, having 75% of our rules and regs focused on meals THEN watching it go into the trash can can make you NUTS. OK, so it used to make me nuts.

Sadly, we just have to let go of all that and be patient.

The good news is that after a while of not giving in with treat foods the kids do start eating. Now to get Moms and Dads on board and this whole topic would go away. Oh, but to dream.
lovemykidstoo 06:11 AM 10-18-2012
I know! Changing the perspective is hard!!

Buying good quality food, spending time preparing it, agonizing over menus, worrying about rising food costs, knowing that proper mental development relies on proper nutrition, having 75% of our rules and regs focused on meals THEN watching it go into the trash can can make you NUTS. OK, so it used to make me nuts.

Sadly, we just have to let go of all that and be patient.

The good news is that after a while of not giving in with treat foods the kids do start eating. Now to get Moms and Dads on board and this whole topic would go away. Oh, but to dream.
Oh mom and dad are definately not on board. They get frustrated too, but immediately give her cereal when she doesn't eat. I give up on that. My son tried this for a very short time when he was 2 or 3 and what we did was wrap up his dinner and then at 9:00 when he was saying he was hungry, guess what he got. That took about a week and he started eating his din din again!
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 10-18-2012
Years ago I had a DCK just like yours. He ate nothing. I think he was here for almost 2 years before Grandma moved to town and took over care duties.

This little guy ate nothing. Seriously not one single thing while he was here. He was here from 8-5 Monday through Friday. He wouldn't eat a taste, a nibble, nothing. zero. He wouldn't even drink water or milk.

His parents knew they had unhealthy eating habits and junk food or fast food for meals and snacks and had all sorts of good intentions about changing how they ate once they seen that their son was lacking in good eating habits but nothing ever changed.

I spent countless hours trying to bribe, reward lure and coax him into eating something. anything. I mean at this point I would have felt successful ahd he eaten crayons...kwim? But he never ate anything I served. Not even pizza.

I finally just gave up. I made lunch and snack every day and simply served. He sat quietly with the other kids but never lifted his utensils. He just sat and watched the others eating.

Every day at pick up I would tell his parent that he didn't eat a single crumb of anything. So of course, to the "Golden Arches" they went

In the end I realized that there was NOTHING I could do that I hadn't already done so I wasn't going to stress about it.

Kids are funny, Make your meals, serve them and leave it at that. If she isn't going to eat with your positive support and encouragement, she isn't going to eat so stop stressing. That is mom and dad's job.
morgan24 07:19 AM 10-18-2012
Meals should be 100% stress free for kids. (same for potty time )

Set the timer, put the plate down, busy yourself with naptime prep and let them chose to eat or not. When time is up, off to the potty/handwashing station they go. No fuss, no muss. Consistently.

Personally, I serve one food group at a time, family style, to encourage them to eat more veggies. Veggies first, while they are at their hungriest works like a charm for me. Water with food. Milk last so they don't fill up on it.

During the toddler-preschool phase their growth and development slows significantly from the rapid phase of infancy, taking with it their appetites. They simply do not need as much food, the serving sizes necessary for healthy growth are very small.
I have the same twins only they are a boy and girl. The boy will not eat anything I think my dcb is holding out because his dcm brings cheez-its and juice for the 5 minute ride home everyday. When you serve the veggie first what if they don't eat it? My dcb would just sit there and not even try it. Right now I give them all a small portion of everything to start, he will say he doesn't want to eat so I send him in to go potty and then he lays down.

Would you start with the veggie and set the timer and if he doesn't eat it, let him get down and go potty and to nap?
lovemykidstoo 07:21 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Years ago I had a DCK just like yours. He ate nothing. I think he was here for almost 2 years before Grandma moved to town and took over care duties.

This little guy ate nothing. Seriously not one single thing while he was here. He was here from 8-5 Monday through Friday. He wouldn't eat a taste, a nibble, nothing. zero. He wouldn't even drink water or milk.

His parents knew they had unhealthy eating habits and junk food or fast food for meals and snacks and had all sorts of good intentions about changing how they ate once they seen that their son was lacking in good eating habits but nothing ever changed.

I spent countless hours trying to bribe, reward lure and coax him into eating something. anything. I mean at this point I would have felt successful ahd he eaten crayons...kwim? But he never ate anything I served. Not even pizza.

I finally just gave up. I made lunch and snack every day and simply served. He sat quietly with the other kids but never lifted his utensils. He just sat and watched the others eating.

Every day at pick up I would tell his parent that he didn't eat a single crumb of anything. So of course, to the "Golden Arches" they went

In the end I realized that there was NOTHING I could do that I hadn't already done so I wasn't going to stress about it.

Kids are funny, Make your meals, serve them and leave it at that. If she isn't going to eat with your positive support and encouragement, she isn't going to eat so stop stressing. That is mom and dad's job.
You guys are right, I have to throw in the white flag. I have started to serve her less. Why throw everythiing away. I hate throwing a full lunch down the drain. I give her 1/2 of what I used to and if she eats and wants more, I gladly give her more. I have to stop worrying about it. It's just that she's so tiny and I worry about her. Does anyone think this is anyway related to autism the way she instantly cries when she sees the plate or do you think she's just being a stinker?
Cat Herder 09:06 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by morgan24:
When you serve the veggie first what if they don't eat it? My dcb would just sit there and not even try it.

Would you start with the veggie and set the timer and if he doesn't eat it, let him get down and go potty and to nap?
No. I am legally required to offer a complete meal. I just do it slowly to allow them time to eat some of each component. I also use the "My Plate" charts to educate the parents.

If I give them the plates completely made they will inevitably eat the fruit, grain, chug the milk and be done.

I serve the veggies, walk back into the kitchen slowly, grab the serving bowl of protein and return very slowly to serve next round. I follow the same pattern, every time. Water. Veggies. Proteins. Fruits. Grain. Milk.

It takes a bit longer, but I have great success with it.
morgan24 10:12 AM 10-18-2012
No. I am legally required to offer a complete meal. I just do it slowly to allow them time to eat some of each component. I also use the "My Plate" charts to educate the parents.

If I give them the plates completely made they will inevitably eat the fruit, grain, chug the milk and be done.

I serve the veggies, walk back into the kitchen slowly, grab the serving bowl of protein and return very slowly to serve next round. I follow the same pattern, every time. Water. Veggies. Proteins. Fruits. Grain. Milk.

It takes a bit longer, but I have great success with it.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to try that.
clep 12:15 PM 10-24-2012
I have had this issue with many, many children when the first came to me. I put a very small amount of food on their plate, something I KNOW they can eat unless they are sick. I serve all the food at once. They are required to eat ALL of what is on their plate. I will literally start out with three tablespoons. Any child can eat that.

If they don't eat it I just provide that at the next meal. If it goes on consistently, I just provide something that isn't the one child's favorite at morning snack, and lunch that is their favorite. Pretty quickly they are eating their snacks and lunch.

I ignore children that aren't eating. Children that are eating receive LOTS of positive praise and encouragement. I often go sit beside the best eater to share the spot with them.

I don't have any poor eaters here. I used to have a child that was fed with a tube when he first came because he refused to eat. He was in my care for two years and became a fantastic eater. He was always tube fed at home unless it was cookies or chocolate milk.
LK5kids 06:41 AM 11-11-2012
I had a boy like this years ago. His mom warned me when he started that he probably wouldn't eat anything until he got home. I thought, "Oh, right. He won't eat anything all day." I thought he'd at least eat snacks, which I would have let him eat. I would have been happy if he had ate some cheese and crackers/juice. Well, she was right. NOTHING except a tiny nibble of a snack once in a great while.

He would only eat meat as in roasts, steaks, pork chops etc. I didn't serve those kinds of meals. He wouldn't touch typical kid food like Mac 'n cheese, pizza, spaghetti, etc. He wouldn't touch most snacks either. He drank a little milk at meals. That's it. He just sat there. I served him the same meal (tho I did give him a little less). I never said a word to him except at snack time once in awhile, like are you sure you don't want those grammy bears?

He was never coaxed to eat by me or made to get down and get ready for nap. He just sat there. But he didn't sit there and cry, which would have been different. I would have had to have him leave the table or at least I would have pushed his plate away, so it didn't cause such a melt down. It just was a non-issue even tho it did seem odd to me. His mom always said he'd go home and eat supper fine. One thing was he was not tiny and frail, I didn't have those worries. He was average weight. Not thin at all. I knew he was at least eating at night and it wasn't Lucky Charms.
Chipmunk 06:22 PM 11-11-2012
Books can help, too.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar talks about junk food making you feel yucky and good food helping you grow.

Bread and Jam for Frances talks about trying new foods - and REALLY helped my super-picky DD around that age.

I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato (Charlie and Lola) by Lauren Child is great and VERY funny!
lovemykidstoo 04:32 AM 03-12-2013
Well an update to this thread is the 3 yr old dcg is eating slightly better. She hasn't cried at lunchtime in quite awhile which is good. Now, I have a dcb that turned 3 and boy does he act like it. Whoever said that 2's were bad were so wrong, it's the 3's! Now when he comes in the morning I can hear him coming because he's hysterical. This week I don't even let mom come in the house, I just take him at the door. I tried consoling, having him lay down, distracting him with his fave toys etc. Not working. So, yesterday, I brought him in, gave him only the good morning, glad to see you talk and then left him to play. He stood in the middle of the room crying for a straight 15 minutes. He's feeding off the attention I think, so I figured I tried everything else and it didn't work I would try the straight up ignore routine. We'll see how he does today. Well, this same boy has decided that he no longer likes any of the same foods he ate 2 weeks ago here. He sat there yesterday and didnt' even touch his plate. AFter everyone was done, I asked him if he was done. He looked at me like he was waiting for me to say something about how he didnt' eat anything. Nope, just turned around and threw the plate in the garbage. He looked bummed that I didn't say anything. Kinda made me chuckle inside.
mamac 11:47 AM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Holy cow!! You just described my ds exactly! Although he was at one DC where he went from eating seconds to eating absolutely nothing at another DC. He wouldn't fight or argue. He would just sit quietly until everyone else was finished. I think he was being extremely stubborn because he was now in a DC where he wasn't allowed to do whatever he wanted and the new place actually had rules to follow. I'm not even sure how the first DC got him to eat because I can't even do it. ???

His dr recommended Pediasure and Carnation breakfasts just for the calories, but after a few weeks of that he refuses to touch them now. He has always had eating issues as an infant. (preemie) He spit up more than he ate so he went thru every type of formula, reflux meds, you name it. I think that's why he probably has no interest in eating anything or trying new foods right now. I am hoping that he will eventually outgrow this.
kimmills 10:41 AM 04-23-2013
If the kids don't eat don't pressurize them. Tell them to it what is served or go hungry. This way they will have to eat what is served to relieve their hunger.
AmyKidsCo 11:41 AM 04-23-2013
The thing is, you can't make a child eat. Our job is to offer nutritious meals; it's the children's job to decide what and how much to eat. And the bigger power struggle it becomes the more the child will fight to "win" - especially if they're strong-willed. I agree with what others have said: Offer the food, let them choose what to eat and how much, when meals are over they're done. I do encourage my children to take a "practice bite" but never force them to. Usually if one or two children are enjoying the food the rest will at least try it.

Good luck!
kelliott 10:42 AM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Serve it and be in a good mood. Do not force them to eat. Let them make their own decision. You only control what's on the plate. They control if it goes in their mouth.

Let them be hungry at snack time. Serve their lunch plate again at snack time. If they don't eat it then, they will be hungry when they go home.

You can't control what their parents do. Unfortunately.
completely agree!.. my son, who will be 3 in June weighs 27lbs..my friends son, who just turned one in Janurary weighs 33lbs!.. i've talked to my sons doctor about it-trying to make sure it's not something i need to worry about..she told me the worst thing you could do is try and FORCE a child to eat.. my son is what they call a "grazer"..he'll take a bite..leave..then come back and take a couple more... as long as thier cheeks aren't boney and their tummy is distended..they're healthy

make your daycare kids their meals..if they don't eat it right away, leave it on the table available for them to take a bite if they get hungry.. i wouldn't conform to giving them what they want and when..the real world doesn't work like that when ur an adult..so daycare sure as heck shouldn't work like that when you're young!
NeedaVaca 11:33 AM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by kelliott:
completely agree!.. my son, who will be 3 in June weighs 27lbs..my friends son, who just turned one in Janurary weighs 33lbs!.. i've talked to my sons doctor about it-trying to make sure it's not something i need to worry about..she told me the worst thing you could do is try and FORCE a child to eat.. my son is what they call a "grazer"..he'll take a bite..leave..then come back and take a couple more... as long as thier cheeks aren't boney and their tummy is distended..they're healthy

make your daycare kids their meals..if they don't eat it right away, leave it on the table available for them to take a bite if they get hungry.. i wouldn't conform to giving them what they want and when..the real world doesn't work like that when ur an adult..so daycare sure as heck shouldn't work like that when you're young!
This would not happen in my daycare. They are served at snack time, when snack time is over plates are cleared. Same thing with lunch, when lunch is over plates are cleared. I would NOT leave food on the table so kids can just go eat when they feel like it. They eat when it's time to eat
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:49 AM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
This would not happen in my daycare. They are served at snack time, when snack time is over plates are cleared. Same thing with lunch, when lunch is over plates are cleared. I would NOT leave food on the table so kids can just go eat when they feel like it. They eat when it's time to eat
Same here. Leaving it out for longer than the allotted time would be breaking food program rules and licensing guidelines.
kelliott 03:17 PM 05-05-2013
perhaps i should clarify... i don't mean make them a morning snack and leave it there 'til the end of the day when the child goes home.. i just meant to leave it on the table for them to eat...(don't baby them and spoon feed them to get the food in their bellies) leave it in front of the for the "snack time" period but absolutely clean it up when everyone else is finished..soon they will understand that THEY will have to conform to the way you run things.. they will learn that if they don't want to go hungry, they need to eat what and when everyone else is eating
Cradle2crayons 03:56 PM 05-05-2013
I don't even let my own kids graze..l they are offered it... If they don't eat it they wait until the next snack time or meal time. Grazing is actually not good for them at all. And I certainly don't and will not spoon feed a child that age.
NeedaVaca 06:12 PM 05-05-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I don't even let my own kids graze..l they are offered it... If they don't eat it they wait until the next snack time or meal time. Grazing is actually not good for them at all. And I certainly don't and will not spoon feed a child that age.
It also teaches them proper manners. No getting up and down from the table and taking a bite here and there. They need to understand what meal time is and be able to sit at a restaurant! Especially at age 3...
Cradle2crayons 06:39 PM 05-05-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
It also teaches them proper manners. No getting up and down from the table and taking a bite here and there. They need to understand what meal time is and be able to sit at a restaurant! Especially at age 3...
Amen to that!!
Tags:eating issues, eating tips, family style meals
Reply Up