Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lesson Plan Idea for Demo Lesson ~ Thoughts?
bunnyslippers 09:38 AM 04-25-2013
I have to go and perform a demo lesson on Monday for a public school integrated preschool position. It is down to me and one other candidate, and I REALLY want this position. It is a perfect fit for me and my family.

I only have 20-30 minutes to complete the lesson, and it has to tie into the new Common Core. I want to make sure that I am actually teaching a skill, and not just putting on a show for the administrators and staff watching. I will have 15 kids total (age late 4 early 5,half of them having some level of special need).

I am thinking of a recycle or trash theme.

1. Start of reading the book The Journey of a Plastic Bottle (cute story about the trip a bottle makes, told from the perspective of the bottle)

2. Hand each child a picture of something we would find in our world. Have each child come up and tell the group what their picture is. Sort the picture into either the trash can or the recycle bin.

3. Review the categories when they are done.

4. Have each child make a musical instrument (shaker) out of a plastic bottle and other recyclable materials (only do this if time allows, and it probably won't)

Targets:
Sorting
Categorizing
Learning to be active member of community
Respect for our world
Vocabulary Development
Turn Taking
Literacy
Making connections between literature and real world experiences
Listening skills
Group skills
Fine motor development

So what do you guys think? Too basic? Too much? Any other ideas to go along with this theme?

Thanks in advance ~
My3cents 10:04 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I have to go and perform a demo lesson on Monday for a public school integrated preschool position. It is down to me and one other candidate, and I REALLY want this position. It is a perfect fit for me and my family.

I only have 20-30 minutes to complete the lesson, and it has to tie into the new Common Core. I want to make sure that I am actually teaching a skill, and not just putting on a show for the administrators and staff watching. I will have 15 kids total (age late 4 early 5,half of them having some level of special need).

I am thinking of a recycle or trash theme.

1. Start of reading the book The Journey of a Plastic Bottle (cute story about the trip a bottle makes, told from the perspective of the bottle)

2. Hand each child a picture of something we would find in our world. Have each child come up and tell the group what their picture is. Sort the picture into either the trash can or the recycle bin.

3. Review the categories when they are done.

4. Have each child make a musical instrument (shaker) out of a plastic bottle and other recyclable materials (only do this if time allows, and it probably won't)

Targets:
Sorting
Categorizing
Learning to be active member of community
Respect for our world
Vocabulary Development
Turn Taking
Literacy
Making connections between literature and real world experiences
Listening skills
Group skills
Fine motor development

So what do you guys think? Too basic? Too much? Any other ideas to go along with this theme?

Thanks in advance ~
I think your on your way with what you have. I would try to tie in the bottle making project even if they didn't get a chance to finish it during your presentation. I just wonder if it is a bit over their heads, depends upon your group of kids. I would scope that out first if possible. What other topics did you have in mind that you could do instead. I am just thinking age wise. Good luck~
bunnyslippers 10:09 AM 04-25-2013
I am going with the recycle theme because I know that the class is already covering it right now, so they will have prior knowledge of the subject matter and that it is in line with the class level. They aren't giving me much information about what the class make-up is like...

I hate demo lessons. So stressful!!!!
MamaBearCanada 10:12 AM 04-25-2013
I think it's a great theme but I don't think you will have time for a sorting activity and making the instrument.

Time yourself reading the book aloud & going through the motions of doing the lesson. That will give you an idea of what you can accomplish.

If you don't have time for everything I would probably:
read the book
talk about trash vs recycle & why we should recycle
Take in some objects for the kids to sort & deposit
Take in premade bottle inatruments as an example of recycle/reuse (this cuts down on mess for your demo but you could explain that if you were doing this theme over more days you would get them to make them)
Sing & shake to a song about recycling

Great lesson plan!
NeedaVaca 10:28 AM 04-25-2013
I think you are in good shape with what you have planned, Here are a couple of songs I found online that you could use with your recycled music makers. If you don't think you have time for it maybe you could make them in advance and they could use them for the songs? That way they at least get to see how you can make fun stuff out of recycled materials?

Recycling For Our Earth
(Sung to: "Mary Had a Little Lamb")
Sub. by Jenny
Hear the cans go crunch, crunch, crunch,
Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch,
Hear the cans go crunch, crunch, crunch,
Recycle for our earth.

Hear the bottle go ding, ding, ding
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding,
Hear the bottle go ding, ding, ding
Recycle for our earth.

Hear the paper go crinkle, crinkle, crinkle
crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle
Hear the paper go crinkle, crinkle, crinkle
Recycle for our earth

Pick up Litter
(Sung To: "If Your Happy And You Know It")
Sub. by Freta
If you see a piece of litter pick it up
If you see a piece of litter pick it up
You will make the world look better
If you pick up all the litter.
If you see a piece of litter, pick it up
Reply Up