Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sick Of All This Rain!!!! What Do You Do?
Christina72684 09:31 AM 07-02-2013
I live in Indiana and it won't stop raining!!!! We had an extra 4-5" in the month of June and it seemed like we had more days with rain than without. We try to go outside when it's not raining, but everything is muddy and wet. If it was warmer I told them we could go play out in the rain as long as there wasn't thunder and lightning, but it's been in the high 60's and low 70's.

After being cooped up for so long they are driving me nuts! I don't blame them about wanting to go outside and run around and burn energy, but we just can't. What do you do when kids have all this energy and no way to let it out? We dance a lot, but not all of them are into dancing. I have a big enough area that sometimes I'll let them run a little bit as long as nothing's in the way, but it seems like someone always get hurt or close to it. I have no patience and with 8 kids ages 4-7 and me being 34 weeks pregnant, I need to figure out something soon! Thank goodness we're closed for the 4th and barely have any kids on Friday!!!
daycarediva 09:50 AM 07-02-2013
Raincoats, boots and OUT IN THE RAIN! I only NOT take them if it's down pouring and/or thunder and lightning.

We also went through a big rainy spurt, and we did more indoor things that were time consuming; cloud dough, bubble dough, ice cream dough, different kinds of homemade play doh, gak, foam bath paints. I taped tracks on the floor from one letter to another and they did them with cars, cardboard houses/forts that they were able to decorate, marble runs, that kind of thing is a HUGE hit here.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:16 AM 07-02-2013
We go outside every day unless it's truly dangerous (lightning, tornado...). Rain pants, rain coat, boots...or bare feet and/or bathing suits if it's warm enough. When I'm sick of playing in the rain, we go for a walk. Sidewalk chalk is fun in rain (brighter, smoother colors), so are bubbles. If the rain's not too hard (to wash it away), we sometimes bring out the clay. Mud play and splashing in puddles have got to be some of the greatest joys of childhood.
BumbleBee 10:30 AM 07-02-2013
I'm in SW MI & we're getting a bunch of rain as well. Since I seem to have parents that think their children will melt in the rain (trust me, they aren't THAT sweet) here's what we do:

Make play doh, make books, painting, sensory bins, dancing, tumbling (one at a time), action cards (I make cards with things like "jump 4 times, spin in a circle for 5 seconds, run in place for 20 seconds, etc.) Board games, "I spy",

I'm sure I'll think of more later, I'll post again when I have more ideas.
Familycare71 10:34 AM 07-02-2013
Wow- I am not into playing in the rain! . We maybe do once a year in the summer.
We have had a TON of rain in NY too!
Luckily my group now is pretty mellow but there has been a movie day, coloring, my school agers are doing a reading journel to earn tries for the claw machine (genius idea for behavior reward!!!). We have been doing board games and just free play too.
I will def have to look at my Pinterest tho for some fun play dough or food recipes to try too!
My3cents 10:36 AM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I live in Indiana and it won't stop raining!!!! We had an extra 4-5" in the month of June and it seemed like we had more days with rain than without. We try to go outside when it's not raining, but everything is muddy and wet. If it was warmer I told them we could go play out in the rain as long as there wasn't thunder and lightning, but it's been in the high 60's and low 70's.

After being cooped up for so long they are driving me nuts! I don't blame them about wanting to go outside and run around and burn energy, but we just can't. What do you do when kids have all this energy and no way to let it out? We dance a lot, but not all of them are into dancing. I have a big enough area that sometimes I'll let them run a little bit as long as nothing's in the way, but it seems like someone always get hurt or close to it. I have no patience and with 8 kids ages 4-7 and me being 34 weeks pregnant, I need to figure out something soon! Thank goodness we're closed for the 4th and barely have any kids on Friday!!!
ask the parents to bring in rubber boots and rain coats and make it known that you will be going outside if it is lightly raining. I did today and they had a blast. I let them play in the mud. Came in changed clothes and because I let them go to town in the mud I am washing their clothes this time. I usually send the dirty clothes home. It was fun and just what we needed.

If you can't get out, treat it like you would winter time and do indoor stuff- It does get old. We dance, or I will do touch your toes, touch the sky, stand on one foot etc...

best-
Lyss 10:57 AM 07-02-2013
We go out, if we didn't we'd only get out 2.5 months a year as it rains a lot here. 60-70 degrees is perfect temp for playing in the rain imo. The only time we won't is if its 60 or below and/or windy.

If we can't I have kids yoga videos, tents/tunnels, hula hoops (jumping in/out), music...
Starburst 11:03 AM 07-02-2013
I would love for it to rain here, we have been having heat waves like crazy.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:14 AM 07-02-2013
I think we had 5 inches in two days! Again unless there is thunder and/ or lightening we still go out, even if it is just for a walk. (unless I really don't feel like it) One of the best play times we had lately was when we went out, it started to sprinkle, then it started to rain. They were running around having such a good time I couldn't bring them in! If it is warm I don't worry about raincoats etc. I just consider it water play!
If we stay in, we usually do paracute and music time to get some of the energy out.
If it is not storming and you don't want to get wet do you have anyplace that is a little sheltered? a porch, carport, or canopy? There really is nothing like being outside.
Sorry I didn't read the cooler temps.. then yes, ask for raincoats and boots
DaycareMom2012 12:21 PM 07-02-2013
Xbox Kinect or wii is a good way to have the kids be active. Since those game systems can be used hands free they are not sitting down playing video games. (I would never suggest) They make lots of games appropriate for kids that are very active. I have used the Kinect I have in my home when it was cold last winter. (Otherwise the thing is only ever used as a DVD player)
Just an idea if you already have one or could buy one cheap, but it is a fun way for the kids to jump up and down and get good exercise and make them tired. Lol
BABYLUVER21 03:37 PM 07-02-2013
I suggest you send it all to CO right away! We'd love to get some real rain in our location sans lightning and thunder, of course! We are in a drought and most people have seen all over the news that a lot of our state has burned in the last year so we will be happy to take it!

Side note: Many people complained of the TWO winter storms we had in our area this year. Our DCP for our kids took them out to play in it and enjoy it! I bet if you dress up the kids, they can go in the rain too
nothingwithoutjoy 05:21 PM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
Wow- I am not into playing in the rain!
What about getting yourself one of those screen houses or shade tents so they can play in the rain and you can stay dry?
Evansmom 07:22 AM 07-03-2013
I have tried to make sure my kids get some safe indoor physical outlet on days when it's been raining. We had an extra twin mattress that I would drag out onto the floor and kids would take turns jumping on it
Also set up an indoor obstacle course with things to jump over, hoola hoops etc.
A fun game is to take hoola hoops and place them touching on the floor. Then have children hop from one to the other. After each turn you move the hoops apart inch by inch until they are so far apart the kids can't jump into the middles anymore.
Also kids exercise videos or dance videos.

I have a very small group tho, 3-4 kids. So I think I can get away with letting them jump around more than someone with a larger group.
coolconfidentme 08:20 AM 07-03-2013
I have a huge covered deck that we can ride big wheels on in the rain. Sad thing is, most parents don't dress their kids appropriately for outside. What what???
2grls4us 08:44 AM 07-03-2013
My 4 kiddos are 3 and under. But we do things like hop like a bunny, frog, fly like birds, swim like fish etc. We also like to just build forts and hang out in them. Not much to burn energy but we have lots of fun.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I have a huge covered deck that we can ride big wheels on in the rain. Sad thing is, most parents don't dress their kids appropriately for outside. What what???
I don't GET IT!!!

I tell parents REPEATEDLY that no matter HOW they are dressed, they are going outside. Oh, you brought brand new white converse sneakers? CUTE. No back up sneakers? Sneakers are now mud colored (yes, this happened) I also am not opposed to tossing a disposable poncho over a child without a rain coat and still taking them out.

We are play based, and I believe kids thrive outdoors and we spend the majority of our time there, in all seasons.
Hunni Bee 10:07 AM 07-03-2013
Cry!!!

I could absolutely cry. It rains 4-5 times per DAY here lately. (I'm on the East Coast). Its raining at this very moment.

We just send them out in it. We would never go out if we worried about rain. If it gets to serious soaking then we bring them back in...but sprinkles, drizzles and sun showers - we go for it baby. Its usually between 90 and 95 degrees daily so its not like its chilly either. have wood chips btw, so it isn't a whole bunch of mud.
AmyKidsCo 03:36 PM 07-03-2013
I feel bad requiring rain boots and slickers for my kiddos because I know when my children were in daycare we couldn't have afforded them. But we go out when the yard is wet and when it's sprinkling, but when it gets serious we come in. So far we've been lucky and the rain has fallen around our usual outside times.
Sugar Magnolia 04:09 PM 07-03-2013
Down here in tropical paradise (swamp).....we deal with it. Every. Single. Day. Oh it's 4pm? Rain. 15 minutes later, over. And it comes again. Them it's over. I have literally seen it rain on one side of the street and not on the other, kid you not. We have two seasons: Tourist season and Rainy Season. Wait......I got another one......we have two seasons, January and Summer.
We would not exist without some serious drainage.

We just dodge it. And go out more in the morning and less in the afternoon. I have a small army of towels. And willing helpers. We dry stuff off, and try to keep butts off the ground.

But we're used to it. Life in the swamp, err I mean "tropics".
Tags:rain
Reply Up