Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCKs Birthday Parties
Brooksie 06:08 AM 10-05-2013
Do you all attend their personal parties if invited? I would normally say no, its not my place because its a business relationship, but one of the girls who has an upcoming birthday has become DDs 'best friend' and the other birthday coming up is a little guy who was first brought to me his first day out of the hospital for his interview and is about to turn 1 in November. I'm totally torn on all this. Especially with the dcg turning 3, because I know dd is REALLY going to want to go and I know dcg is REALLY going to want dd there. Advice?
hope 08:24 AM 10-05-2013
I go to dck's birthday parties if invited. Parents tell me that I spend more time with their children than anyone so it would be only appropriate for me to celebrate with them. When I'm there I treat it as though it is a party from one of my own kids class mates. I mingle and make sure to keep a bit of a distance from the birthday boy or girl so that their parents can enjoy the time with them that day. I also don't want the child to need for me to care for them that day. I am a guest not a worker that day.
se7en 10:49 AM 10-05-2013
Naturally your own children will form some friendships w 8th the daycare children if they are near the same age and with each other each day. You and the daycare parents are now mutual p parents of friends. You still have a business relationship with the parents, but the kids are close and can go to each other's parties. No big deal. Now if you are invited to the mom or dad's birthday celebration, you may have to think that over.
Cradle2crayons 10:58 AM 10-05-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Do you all attend their personal parties if invited? I would normally say no, its not my place because its a business relationship, but one of the girls who has an upcoming birthday has become DDs 'best friend' and the other birthday coming up is a little guy who was first brought to me his first day out of the hospital for his interview and is about to turn 1 in November. I'm totally torn on all this. Especially with the dcg turning 3, because I know dd is REALLY going to want to go and I know dcg is REALLY going to want dd there. Advice?
I go to them all if invited, and take my two kids. Since I do afternoon care, if my dck are here, we all go.

Last week my son was invited to a birthday party of a little girl classmate at pump it up, I took all 7 kids and we had a field trip. Of course I asked the birthday girls mom if it was okay and I took money to pay the difference but since they were allowed 25 kids and not all of them showed up, birthday girls mom refused to let me pay because there was nothing to pay.

We love birthday party field trips lol
Starburst 06:04 PM 10-05-2013
The lady I used to work for would go to parties if invited, if she was busy she would just drop off a gift and visit for a few minutes and leave or send a gift home with the child on a Friday before a weekend party. She would also once a month have a mini b-day celebration for all the children who had birthdays that month (and sometimes she would send the presents home with them then or let them just open it there).

If you do still have a child at home and she is friends with the DCG, then I would go because it is technically an invite for your daughter.

Even if you don't have your own child to take, it is still actually a good business move because you can mingle with other parents whose children may not be enrolled in your program and it's a way to promote your business (bring a few business cards in your purse just in case, maybe you or your daughter can wear a shirt with your daycare name or logo, just try not to make it look too obvious- maybe wear a sweater over it). The parents that invite you do so because they love your program and most of the time they tell their friends about you too. It's a great way to network with other people, some of their friends may not yet have children of their own or may be expecting and are starting to think about child care options.

I went to the birthday of the boys I used to babysit (brothers with close birthdays; not twins) and the mom always told me how she always told her friends how much she loves when I watch her children and she introduced me to a mom friend of hers who were looking for a babysitter. The mom I currently sit for yesterday invited me to her son's birthday next month.
spinnymarie 06:13 PM 10-05-2013
Yes, and we've invited the DCKs to my children's Bday parties as well
Lil'DinoEggs 09:04 PM 10-06-2013
I treat is like a business opportunity. I am introduced as such and such's provider. Then the other parent's have a question or comment on how hard it is. I say yes, but it is fun. I was so sad to see this one random kid go because parents had some random reason. Then they say,"you have a spot open still?" like taking candy from baby
Play Care 03:16 AM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
I treat is like a business opportunity. I am introduced as such and such's provider. Then the other parent's have a question or comment on how hard it is. I say yes, but it is fun. I was so sad to see this one random kid go because parents had some random reason. Then they say,"you have a spot open still?" like taking candy from baby

littlemissmuffet 06:24 AM 10-07-2013
Under no circumstances do I have any personal doings with current business clients. I have absolutely NO interest in seeing any of my clients outside of "work".
jenn 06:51 AM 10-07-2013
Depends. My daughter usually is a big part of the decision. Some of my DCK's are her friends, some are not. That may not be politically correct, but it is what it is.
If we are invited to a party of one of her friends, we go. If we are invited to a party that we don't want to attend, we just don't. I do send a gift though.
I do not feel obligated to go and don't feel bad about not attending. Weekends are family time, and I'm not doing things that my family does not enjoy.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Under no circumstances do I have any personal doings with current business clients. I have absolutely NO interest in seeing any of my clients outside of "work".
Same here.

I also don't feel I would want it to be a business opportunity.... I wouldn't really want clients that ALL hung out together in the same social circles.

It could lend to way too much added drama should a relationship with one of those clients sour.

Also I mentioned this to one of my DCP's and she said that if I attended one of her child's birthday parties as a means to solicit business, she would be a bit upset....since the party would be for her child (not a business convention for me) so I would definitely make sure you check with the host before handing out business cards.

Some may not mind at all...
Michelle 08:42 AM 10-07-2013
I do go to parties and I ask that they introduce me as a friend of the family because I get approached constantly by parents wanted to place their kids with me and I am full with a long waiting list.

Also they ask me for advice, which is flattering but the weekends are for me to dummy out and feel like an adult.
Reply Up