Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CA - Licensing On-Line Compliance History Search
MarinaVanessa 01:04 PM 06-26-2014
I just found out so I figured there were other FCC in CA that hadn't heard.

The CA Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing Division has launched an on-line database search that is going through a "soft opening" phase. Parents can go online and search a facility file to look at visit and non-compliance information. They haven't announced it yet because they want input about it first.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing and do think that we are behind in the game on this part because there are many other states that do this already. I have been playing around with the site and looking up other providers (and let me tell you I have definitely seen some ) so test the functionality of it.

So far I have my opinions about certain things and how they work but I'll save that for later. I just wanted to Post the email I got and get other CA providers opinions and ideas for improvement on it. I'm planning on writing an email to the CA DSS about it but want to get different opinions before I do that. Thanks for looking.

Here is the email ...

Originally Posted by :
Sharon Coleman
President, California Association for Family Child Care
www.cafcc.org

The Professional Provider Resource Guide
www.sharoncolemanassociates.com

Owner, Director
Loving Care for Kids FCC & Preschool
www.lovingcareforkids.com

Licensing Posts Violations on their Website

Licensing started putting providers’ public records on their website. They called this a soft launch because it isn’t intended for public use yet. Licensing asked agencies to give them feedback before they make it fully public. For small licensed family child care homes, the exact name that’s on the license is needed to access the record, so it makes it more difficult.

The Department of Social Services has been under a lot of public pressure to post citations for licensed facilities. The federal government is also requiring states to make licensing violations publicly accessible. So this is here to stay.

Link to facility search: https://secure.dss.ca.gov/CareFacilitySearch/

What we can do:
  1. Check the site to see if it has correct information on our family child care home. If not, contact licensing right away.
  2. Give our feedback to Licensing. Email: cclwebmaster@dss.ca.gov. cc: fccasf@gmail.com
  3. 3. Contact legislators on AB 2621 (Garcia & Olsen). More information will follow when we know which legislators to contact.
  4. 4. Make sure that our family child care homes are in total compliance so we won’t get any Type A violations from now on.

Problems with the way records appear on the website:

a. The number of complaints is listed. Licensing investigates complaints and comes to a determination. It is not appropriate to show the number of complaints.

b. Addresses and maps should not be listed. At a minimum, providers should be able to “opt out” and not have their address and street map shown.

c. Violations, once corrected, should come off the site after 2 years.

d. There should be a process for correcting errors immediately.

See below for the great feedback Nancy Wyatt submitted to Licensing.

Governor Signs State Budget

Let’s just say that it’s not as bad as it could have been for family child care providers:

· Most new funding for additional slots are in the state child development centers. There’s nothing specific for infants & toddlers.

· The Regional Market Rate Reimbursements will be adjusted effective January 1, 2015. Overall, it should be about a 9% increase statewide, but it depends on how the state chooses to work the numbers. There’s only $20M for rate increases and will go in effect in January 2015.

· Licensing annual fees will increase by 10% but the awful proposed citation increases will not happen this year. We can claim victory for stopping them for this year. Let’s stay connected because it will come up again next year.

Legislative Bills Update

SB 837 (Steinberg) - Transitional Kindergarten)

This bill was going to require school districts to offer all 4 year olds one year of Pre-Kindergarten. In response to loud protests from the field, Steinberg’s office assured us that the senator was not moving forward with the bill. However, the senator managed to include more money in the governors’ budget for 4 yr-olds in the state funded child development programs.

SB 1123 (Liu) – This bill was changed to focus on quality and parent involvement:

“The Superintendent shall develop standards, rules, and regulations for the implementation of high-quality, evidenced-based infant-toddler services, based on, but not limited to, the federal Early Head Start model”

Family Child Care Feedback Facility Search Web Site: New Features June 2014

Respectfully submitted June 23, 2014, by Nancy Wyatt, CalKids Moderator

The following comments and concerns were gathered in just a few days from providers who are members of the California family child care e-group called “CalKids.” Members recently discovered the new facility search website pages. We appreciate Licensing’s invitation to offer feedback. It is so important that the state recognizes that providers are important stakeholders, without whose input, no system for public posting of providers’ information should be fully implemented. Since providers’ feedback is being requested now, we are counting on the state to still have the capacity to make changes and respond to providers ‘input. We will start with the two features that received the most attention and then make a few additional points.

Posting the Providers’ Addresses and the Showing of Google Maps

This address/map feature seems to have elicited the most concerns. Large capacity family child care home providers wanted the state to understand that they, too, work out of their private homes. When they have fewer children in care, they work alone. Several were greatly concerned that public address listings with maps could endanger the children in their care. Unwanted visitors are a potential endangerment because they might hurt the children or rob the providers. Many providers prefer to choose who may have their address information and they prefer to schedule appointments with potential clients at the safest possible times for the children and themselves. When people must call them to obtain information and schedule appointments they believe that they are better able to protect the children.

Other providers might not object to the public posting of their addresses and might see this as a marketing advantage. The public posting should be an option that the provider may choose or not choose. Any good programmer can easily place a condition on the display of information in the address and map fields. A message such as, “Please call the provider for address information,” could replace the address lines and map when the provider has chosen this option when an address option field is filled with “yes or no” data.

Posting Inconclusive Complaints

Some of the providers and advocates expressed concerns about the posting of complaint information that could be misleading to parents, damage their reputations, and threaten their businesses and children’s access to the benefits of family child care homes. These providers believe that complaints that cannot be substantiated are all too often submitted maliciously by parents who owe money, disgruntled employees, competing providers, or neighbors that do not like children. When the provider cannot prove that a malicious or erroneous complaint is not substantiated, a judgment of “inconclusive” goes in the provider’s file and is now posted on the public website. Posting complaints that are not substantiated is an injustice and better policies promoting due process need to be developed and implemented so that the children and their caregivers are not mistreated.

A Few Additional Points:

The Numbers for Complaints/Citations: Dividing and relisting the number of complaints and or citations under various tabs presents an opportunity for confusion. People are too likely to think that these are additional times rather than realizing that they are subdivisions of the total number.

Years of Operation: We were glad to see that you are working on this information during the next few weeks. When the provider has been licensed for many years or at more than one location, the parents should have this information and licensed dates should reflect the true number of years as a licensed provider.

Corrections: We must have a way to correct errors quickly.

Baby lady 01:17 PM 06-26-2014
I really hate the fact that the addresses of large FCC homes are published, but not those of small FCC homes.

" Why can't I find the addresses for Small Family Child Care homes (less than 8 children)?
Because these are Child Care providers’ homes, the publication of addresses is restricted. To find Small Family Child Care home providers in your area, contact the Resource and Referral Network or call 1-800-KIDS-793. The Network can also assist you in searching for the right child care for your child and can provide you with addresses of facilities in your area."

It's the provider's home just as much ...
SignMeUp 01:28 PM 06-26-2014
I'm not in CA but our addresses are are the licensing look-up site.
And it appears that every daycare site in the country then uses it to populate its info pages, because my name, address and phone are listed all over the place.
And I have never advertised online.
Annalee 01:31 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I just found out so I figured there were other FCC in CA that hadn't heard.

The CA Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing Division has launched an on-line database search that is going through a "soft opening" phase. Parents can go online and search a facility file to look at visit and non-compliance information. They haven't announced it yet because they want input about it first.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing and do think that we are behind in the game on this part because there are many other states that do this already. I have been playing around with the site and looking up other providers (and let me tell you I have definitely seen some ) so test the functionality of it.

So far I have my opinions about certain things and how they work but I'll save that for later. I just wanted to Post the email I got and get other CA providers opinions and ideas for improvement on it. I'm planning on writing an email to the CA DSS about it but want to get different opinions before I do that. Thanks for looking.

Here is the email ...
We have always had the report card on the web but beginning July 1 this year, our compliance history will be available as well. It is unclear if after the violation is corrected, if this will be noted. I have been told that the licensing number will be placed by a violation in order for person to call for more info....which I think is a bad rap. If a provider corrects it, it should be noted, not left to a phone call. My licensor was unclear on a lot of things, but I think something of this magnitude should have state licensing on the same page....but like all the other issues going on now, the state changes hourly it seems like. Providers are left to "guess" too many times and hope it is the right thing. I think you are doing a good thing jumping in....and I wish you luck.....while it can be frustrating, I like to stay in the "know" even if I totally DO NOT AGREE wth the state.

We do have the addresses with maps as well on the web!
sharlan 01:39 PM 06-26-2014
I think it will be difficult for parents to use. I had to put in 3 different names before mine popped up.

I think it would be easier if they used license #s instead of name.
Annalee 01:40 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I think it will be difficult for parents to use. I had to put in 3 different names before mine popped up.

Our state's website is easy to use, but I am not sure many parents use it!
TwinKristi 01:50 PM 06-26-2014
The crazy part is searching the small family providers. I cannot for the life of me figure that out! I cannot find myself at all!
Annalee 01:56 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
The crazy part is searching the small family providers. I cannot for the life of me figure that out! I cannot find myself at all!
Ours list in 3 sections...Family (7 children) Group (8-15) and Centers (it will have the specific number listed). You click on the county and it lists all daycares for that area.

http://www.tn.gov/accweb/
mom2many 02:42 PM 06-26-2014
They said you need to enter the exact name that is found on the license. I did that, but mine did not come up either. I'm a small FCC home licensed for 8.
MarinaVanessa 02:42 PM 06-26-2014

I thought about this too. I use a DBA (doing business as) so instead of the typical "Brown Family Child Care" I have my business name on my license. I couldn't even find myself and tried some other FCC provider friends DBA's as well and couldn't find them either.

Definetely should have a license number lookup. Actually I think that having a few options would be best. There should be options to look FCC up by provider name, facility name & license number. If you can call the licensing office and use all of those options to have them look up a facility then what's the difference?

As far as the address posting goes, I think that by default provider's addresses should not be posted. I'm one of those that doesn't freak out about having my address posted however I don't think that the choice should be taken from all FCC providers. I think if the provider is comfortable with having their address posted then that should be her choice and she can contact DSS and tell them. Large or small a home is a home.

I do however think that at minimum having the city that the provider lives in should be required. I looked up Perez Family Child Care and got 37 results statewide. Having to click on each to read the first name is way to complicated. I found 3 Maria Perez's 2 of which have the same Licensing Contact Office ... how are parents supposed to know which one is the right one?

I personally like the tabs. I don't however like the limited info that is posted on the site.

I have the feeling that the general consensus will be to not post violations that have been corrected however I don't think this is a good idea. What about providers that constantly get violations that they correct only to have another visit later and more violations? I think that the on-line reporting should be more detailed and include what type of violation and whether it was corrected. I would go even further than that (although I doubt they will take the time for it) to include why they got the violation.
For example:
Brown Family Child Care
Visit 07/19/2001 Type A Citation Over capacity Corrected
Visit 06/26/2004 Type A Citation Failure to maintain smoke detectors Corrected
etc.

This way a parent can check for themselves when they first became licensed, the type of violations they had, what the violation was for and the dates of the violations. Then they can look at a provider like the one above and might say "Oh, they got some violations during the first few years they opened but haven't had any more in 10 years". Why not? If a parent can call the office and get a copy of a site visit which has all of this info anyway then why not put this info on-line too? Heck put copies of the site visit for download. Our addresses aren't on there anyway so why not? Otherwise there's no point to the site because to get good info you have to call the office anyway.

I also think the whole system needs to be reworked and that a major overhaul is needed. Clear rules and regulations and a list of specific violations and attached fines are needed so that one provider in northern CA isn't getting a citation for something that a provider in southern CA isn't. We should have a CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT IS AND ISN'T OK.

The same applies for complaints. I'd want to know what the complaint was about and what the outcome was.

The whole process of having to cancel a license when we move or stop doing daycare for a while and then get a new license number for our new address or when we reapply for a license again needs to be changed. According to the website a provider that starts off as a small FCC and then upgrades to a Large FCC 10 years later and continues care for 5 years has been "licensed" for 5 years because her original license number does not follow her and the time clock "restarts" itself when you get a new facility number. Facility numbers should follow you when you move and remain your number even if you stop doing daycare and restart again.

Providers get complaints and then close down for a few years and then reapply years later and get a new facility number and start again with a "clean slate". As a parent, that's not cool. I want to know if the provider has been doing DC for a long time and if the provider has a history of violations or not.

These are just a few of my thoughts.
TwinKristi 02:46 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by mom2many:
They said you need to enter the exact name that is found on the license. I did that, but mine did not come up either. I'm a small FCC home licensed for 8.
Yep me too!
MarinaVanessa 02:51 PM 06-26-2014
Yep me too!
Me too.

Edit: Nevermind. I found myself. There is a name error on my license. lol
TwinKristi 03:01 PM 06-26-2014
What did you put in? The FCCH part too?
TwinKristi 03:03 PM 06-26-2014
Found it!! They have my Last name, First name FCCH.
MarinaVanessa 03:12 PM 06-26-2014
Found it!! They have my Last name, First name FCCH.
Each is different I think. Mine is long though because of my DBA.
Mine was [last name] FCC AKA [daycare name] and there was an error on my license that I just now noticed
My DBA is [name] Childcare, they put Child Care.
TwinKristi 03:15 PM 06-26-2014
Can you change your license name easily or do you have to do the whole shabang all over again??
MarinaVanessa 03:25 PM 06-26-2014
Can you change your license name easily or do you have to do the whole shabang all over again??
No it wasn't hard. I got my DBA before applying for my license but when I got married and had to change my last name I called my analyst and all she asked for was a new LIC 279 and a copy of my new drivers license. I mailed them in and got my new license 2 weeks later.

I'm assuming if someone gets a DBA later all they need is a copy of the stamped form from the county saying that the DBA is yours and LIC 279.
TwinKristi 03:28 PM 06-26-2014
But do I need a DBA or can I change it to "(my name) Family Childcare" like I advertise?
MarinaVanessa 03:41 PM 06-26-2014
But do I need a DBA or can I change it to "(my name) Family Childcare" like I advertise?
You'll need a DBA, licensing won't give you a license that says your business name on it without one. You can advertise with a business name without having it be an actual DBA but if someone comes along and takes your name you have to stop using that name once they register it with the state.

Getting a DBA takes some time but isn't too complicated.
daycare 04:29 PM 06-26-2014

ditto on this...plus I don't go by my legal name
daycare 04:30 PM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
You'll need a DBA, licensing won't give you a license that says your business name on it without one. You can advertise with a business name without having it be an actual DBA but if someone comes along and takes your name you have to stop using that name once they register it with the state.

Getting a DBA takes some time but isn't too complicated.
Of course, I was told that even with a DBA, LIC will always only see you as your full legal name, because without proper documentation you can not change it.
Tags:ca data base, ca licensing look up, ca provider search, compliance search
Reply Up