Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Ordering dinner on interview nights
Baby Beluga 12:34 PM 09-28-2015
When I have an interview scheduled, I always run to the drive through and get dinner for DD and I. Because of the interview, I do not have time to cook and clean up prior to the interview taking place.

Is this meal deductible on taxes?
Leigh 04:37 PM 09-28-2015
I doubt it is deductible, but I wonder this every time I do the same thing (only I have dinner delivered those nights).
Thriftylady 05:25 PM 09-28-2015
I doubt it also. You can't call it a business meal because the family interviewing isn't eating it with you.
permanentvacation 07:44 PM 09-28-2015
Here's the question... Are you PREPARING for the interview WHILE eating your meal? If the answer is yes, I believe your meal would be deductible. It would be the same as if you were out shopping for daycare items and ate lunch while shopping. Even though no clients were eating with you at the time, you were doing business work and had to eat while working.
Baby Beluga 08:27 PM 09-28-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Here's the question... Are you PREPARING for the interview WHILE eating your meal? If the answer is yes, I believe your meal would be deductible. It would be the same as if you were out shopping for daycare items and ate lunch while shopping. Even though no clients were eating with you at the time, you were doing business work and had to eat while working.
Yes, very much so. This is also the only time I grab dinner (interview nights). Often times I sit DD down to eat her meal, and I eat while vacuuming, making sure all the paperwork is there, etc.

Tom Copeland, what do you say?
TomCopeland 10:36 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
When I have an interview scheduled, I always run to the drive through and get dinner for DD and I. Because of the interview, I do not have time to cook and clean up prior to the interview taking place.

Is this meal deductible on taxes?
You can only deduct a "business meal" if the purpose of the meal is business. You must eat with someone else and you must be discussing business issues. You must record the name of the person you ate the meal with, and what you discussed. In your case, I believe you shouldn't try to deduct this, as the purpose of the meal is not business. You are eating your normal dinner.
littletots 10:47 AM 09-30-2015
In my prior occupation lunch dinner interviews were popular. Two managers would interview candidate. The candidate was so uncomfortable eating, selling themselves. The interview was over, all said "wish you luck in the next step of interview progress", candidate would leave, two managers continued dinner & dessert.
Baby Beluga 12:50 PM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can only deduct a "business meal" if the purpose of the meal is business. You must eat with someone else and you must be discussing business issues. You must record the name of the person you ate the meal with, and what you discussed. In your case, I believe you shouldn't try to deduct this, as the purpose of the meal is not business. You are eating your normal dinner.
Thanks Tom!
Reply Up