Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clipping Nails
Nurse Jackie 10:38 AM 09-08-2016
do you ever clip infant nails? I've never done it because of boundary reasons but I hv a little one who nails are lethal and nails grows fast.
Play Care 10:50 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
do you ever clip infant nails? I've never done it because of boundary reasons but I hv a little one who nails are lethal and nails grows fast.
I don't, but I do tell the parents the nails need to be trimmed.
"Sally, John's nails are getting really long and sharp. They will need to be trimmed tonight. Thanks!"
daycarediva 10:53 AM 09-08-2016
I got sick of telling parents and have been doing "Monday Manicures" for years now. Everyone gets their nails cleaned, the girls have theirs painted and then we have breakfast. They come in gross, almost every kid, almost every week. YUck!
Pestle 10:55 AM 09-08-2016
No, but I would keep a file on hand if there's one that keeps snagging/cutting.
AmyKidsCo 10:56 AM 09-08-2016
Nope! It's not my job, plus I wouldn't want a parent upset if the infant's fingers were accidentally clipped. I do tell the parents that the nails need to be trimmed. Often the infant scratches him/herself so the parents trim them right away.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Nope! It's not my job, plus I wouldn't want a parent upset if the infant's fingers were accidentally clipped. I do tell the parents that the nails need to be trimmed. Often the infant scratches him/herself so the parents trim them right away.

If necessary, I will deny care if the nails are a real issue and I've also had instances where I just handed the parent my "child-sized" clippers and just had them do it themselves.
Miss A 12:29 PM 09-08-2016
Nope. I make a note in Bright Wheel that the child's nails are long and pose a scratching Rick to themselves and other children, and that they need to be clipped before returning.
Nurse Jackie 01:53 PM 09-08-2016
I did notify dad last night he must've forgot. This little one is becoming more mobile and when she plays she grabs at you, not intentionally trying to hurt you, and those nails are sharp as heck. I don't want her to scratch someone else up and a parent think I was running some type of fight club
wonderfullisa 10:03 AM 09-09-2016
I do trim nails. However, I've always had my own little ones at home, so I'm already clipping. The first time, I always check to see if they mind. So far, everyone has loved that I help out with them. I certainly don't put in the category of my responsibility. The parents still clip them, as well (if they can lol).
Poptarts22 11:46 AM 09-09-2016
Speaking of nails-do parents not see the dirt under kids nails. Some of them come on down right dirty. Everyday now it is routine that everyone washes their hands (and I use a nail brush on them) before we start our day. I grew up on a farm. I am a dairy farmers wife. My hands regularly see hard work-but they also regularly see soap.
DaveA 11:51 AM 09-09-2016
The only time I would trim them is if it's a hangnail or something like that. Otherwise I just tell parents to do it.
Mike 03:16 PM 09-09-2016
I would if the parents wanted me too. I've done it in my babysitting years and don't mind doing it. If a child had nails getting too long for safety, I'd definitely take care of it unless the parents didn't want me to.
Baby Beluga 03:30 PM 09-09-2016
I've never trimmed nails, unless it was a hangnail. I do however wash hands with a nail brush. PP is right - the stuff under the kids nails is GROSS.
sharlan 04:00 PM 09-09-2016
Yes, if I notice they need to be done.
Tags:nail clipping
Reply Up