Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You "Remind" Parents to Pay or Just Tack on the Late Fee?
Valerie928 06:40 AM 09-06-2019
I have been working with this family for 18 months now. They always paid on time up until last pay day. Dad picked up and as he was walking away I said it's pay day. He went home and brought me back a check. This was the first time I ever had to ask them for pay. Fast forward to today. He dropped off, no check. If he doesn't pay me at pick up do I just say have a good weekend then tack on my late fee or tell him again before he leaves that it's pay day. I HATE asking for my pay. I think it's ridiculous to have to ask. I think it's rude that they "forget" ....Just pay your damn bill! Anyways, just asking how you approach this
CountryRoads 06:54 AM 09-06-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I have been working with this family for 18 months now. They always paid on time up until last pay day. Dad picked up and as he was walking away I said it's pay day. He went home and brought me back a check. This was the first time I ever had to ask them for pay. Fast forward to today. He dropped off, no check. If he doesn't pay me at pick up do I just say have a good weekend then tack on my late fee or tell him again before he leaves that it's pay day. I HATE asking for my pay. I think it's ridiculous to have to ask. I think it's rude that they "forget" ....Just pay your damn bill! Anyways, just asking how you approach this
It's very rude. I always wonder, "do these people "forget" to pay their mortgage? Electric bill? Car payment?" UGH.

I would send him a text that payment is due at pick-up or late fees will be applied.

I used to have this problem with one of my families when I first started. I didn't have a backbone and would make subtle hints that payment was due. I cringe looking back at it. I added in late fees and the problem stopped.

Edited to add:

I also hated asking for payment. So awkward. For some reason, I would be embarrassed to ask. Now, I look at it as THEY should be the embarrassed one. How humiliating is it that the person providing care for YOUR child so you can work has to ask you for payment??
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 09-06-2019
I require payment by Monday morning, in advance, for the week. All my clients pay online, autopay. I stopped accepting checks back in 2003. Too risky. Cash or online, only.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 09-06-2019
My late fee is seriously big enough that I don't ask or remind anyone.

These are adults we are talking about.

They know they owe you and they know when they owe you.

I used to think reminders were polite and normal and the right thing to do but now I don't think that way.
I am just as busy and just as over scheduled as the next person so having to remind an adult to pay a bill they are FULLY aware they have is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Sure my electric company or internet provider reminds me to pay if I haven't done so by the due date.... but not without a fee attached so why should daycare be any different?

I sent a letter to all parents stating that I would no longer remind them to pay their bill. I let them know it was rude to force me into the position of asking for my paycheck and that late fees would apply AT 5PM if the invoice is unpaid.

Services would also be suspended until payment IN FULL (including late fees) were paid.

Late fees are doubled with each late payment until they've been late 3 times. The 3rd time is immediate termination because I refuse to work with a family that doesn't value me, my time or the services I provide.

Like I said my late fee is large enough to influence me to not remind anyone.
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 09-06-2019
I realized I left out the reminder and fee part.

I don't remind or attach fees. I simply do not allow attendance and turn away at the door. They go to the ATM and return or I call on the waitlist for their slot.

It only takes once.
springv 07:10 AM 09-06-2019
@cathoarder: what about people that don't use online payment services. How do they pay for childcare if thrust don't have cash or reduce to use the service online? I have an aunt that won't use online payment services or a debit/credit card.
Cat Herder 07:16 AM 09-06-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
@cathoarder: what about people that don't use online payment services. How do they pay for childcare if thrust don't have cash or reduce to use the service online? I have an aunt that won't use online payment services or a debit/credit card.
They have two choices. Pay online over the weekend or bring cash at drop off on Mondays.

I would expect your Aunt to cash her check during the weekend and bring cash on Monday morning like everyone else who chooses the cash option.

I give detailed end of year statements and W-10 forms with a total paid at the end of the year or anytime they need a copy. It takes seconds to print out.
Snowmom 07:38 AM 09-06-2019
I don't usually have too many issues because I'm pretty blunt the first time it happens with a family.

The "I forgot" excuse gets the reply: "I didn't forget to buy your child food and supplies for the week, so please don't use that excuse again". I will stand in the entry while they make payment by Venmo, Zelle, PayPal or go to the cash machine 5 blocks down.

Once you get burned, you learn that you need to stand firm.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 09-06-2019
Nope.

Pay, or get a late fee/refusal of services. Mine are due Friday for the upcoming week, and no pay=no stay.

Their sign in isn't on the sheet and has to be added if they attempt to drop off. Makes it easy for me. OOOPS, yup, looks like you forgot to pay.

I am now getting email reminders that my bills are 'almost due'. Just got one for my internet, that I have NEVER paid late, so apparently it's becoming common.
Valerie928 12:27 PM 09-06-2019
Thanks for all the insight ladies ❤
Meeko 12:40 PM 09-06-2019
I send a Venmo charge to all my clients on Thursday. They must pay before 3PM to ensure it goes into my bank on Friday. Anyone who doesn't pay with Venmo, must pay in cash no later than pick-up on Friday.

I close at 6pm. At 6:01pm, I add a hefty late payment fee, which must be paid MONDAY morning before the child can stay. I don't allow trips to the bank, "be right back" excuses. If I haven't received payment by 6:01PM on Friday, I refuse to give a second of my free time to wait for them to deliver money. They pay on Monday....full fees and late fee before they child can stay.
knoxmomof2 01:49 PM 09-06-2019
It took me time to learn, but I do online payment or cash only. It's due by 9 PM Sunday night for online pay, Monday morning at drop off for cash. All of my current clients are online pay though. I only keep up to 4, so I let them know that if I don't see payment by 9 PM, I'll send a reminder text and I expect payment to be made before drop off the next morning or else their child can't stay. I tell them at the interview that my time and money are 2 things that I expect them to respect, and I don't want to have to ask for my pay. Doing that really weeds out the worst of them, they get offended and I'm okay with that because it means they're not a good fit.

I just text "hey, just sending a payment reminder. Have a good night!" It's a bit irritating when I have to send it to the same family every week, but in the end I'm paid for the week and I don't have to have the awkward conversation where they aren't allowed to leave their child on Monday morning. Worth it to me!! (but I'll do it if I have to and I won't do it more than a couple of times before I'm done.)
LostMyMarbles 02:07 PM 09-06-2019
My parents use ZELLE. Pay. Once in a blue moon, because it is electronic, there will be a little hiccup. If I do not receive a payment, I simply send a text and ask them if the electronic payment was having an issue going through. Usually the responses oh my gosh I forgot I will send it right now.
LysesKids 12:06 PM 09-07-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
I stopped it dead on each Friday... no cash, pull out your debit/credit card; No pay, no care the next scheduled day and your contract automatically became DROP-IN (I closed last year). My receipts specifically said no REFUNDS for no show, no calls... I don't care if they refused to use debit/CC, you didn't have my fee by Friday closing, you lost care... I gave no option
Tags:payment - automatic transfer, payment - reminder
Reply Up