Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Child Removed From Daycare After Injury

about a week ago my wife complained to the daycare about our son getting bit twice in one day, after several previous incidents in his new classroom.

2 days later they claim he was "chasing after a kid that took a toy he wanted to play with" and he fell and injured his hand, it swelled up and they gave us a form to sign for the state and sent us to the emergency room to get an x-ray done. The xray showed no breaks except for a POSSIBLE hairline fracture on his little finger.


He is 2 1/2 years old and we are residents of texas state.

Im writing this because they were as nice as possible up untill the REQUIRED state investigator came in today to investigate the incident. When my wife arrived today to pick him up after the state investigator had left they had his stuff in the main office and gave us absolutely no notice other than a note that says "today is your sons last day, find him a new daycare".

So he got hurt because they cant do their jobs, and now one of us has to miss work to find him a new daycare because we were given absolutely no notice he was being removed.

Im a little bit more than irritated about this. Can they actually get away with this crap? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks for your time,
Daniel
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So he got hurt because they cant do their jobs, and now one of us has to miss work to find him a new daycare because we were given absolutely no notice he was being removed.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel
Why would you even want him to stay at a center where he is regularly getting hurt "because they can't do their job."???????

If my own child had been bitten twice and then got his arm hurt like that we would have given our notice so fast their head would have been spinning.


In my opinion you seem almost as upset by the inconvenience of having to look for a new day care as you are by your child's injuries.

Good luck finding a new daycare. You might try a home daycare this time. We tend to have a better caregiver to child ratio. Lots more hugs, kisses, laptime and snuggles....individual attention for your child. I would look for someone who has been doing daycare in their home for a few years at least.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Im looking for a specific answer to a question. Im not explaining our train of thought or writing a book here. Nor am I looking for advice on a new daycare.

If you want to help and stay on topic then please respond. If not, dont bother. I dont have time for this.

But to appease your thoughts and to put the questions of any others to rest I will explain:

Kids get bit in daycare. It happens, I understand this. Im not going to remove him if its not an ongoing constant issue. Moreover is the fact of how they treated us here at the end, I dont want other parents to go through the same thing.

After the incident with his hand we immediately started looking for a new daycare. It takes a little bit more time to find a daycare than 3 days of looking and calling around around, especially sine we CAN NOT afford to miss work, and work regular hours. I personally work from 7am to 7pm during the weekdays, and am also regularly on call during the weekend.

I am not at all upset about having to look for a new daycare. You read that post out of the context I meant for it to be read as.

I am UPSET because we are gonna be out of the money I use to feed my son and pay rent, because they gave us no notice and blind sided us. They KNEW we were taking him out, and decided to kick him out because we could make arrangements.

Again I'll ask the question the post was made for. Can we do anything to make sure this doesn't happen to any other people, legal, civil, or otherwise?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

What does the parent handbook/contract say about termination? It is possible that you signed agreeing to the fact that they don't have to give notice and don't have give a reason, in which case, yes, they are well within the right to terminate. Are you sure your son was not instigating behavior previous to the bites? As for the running and falling, that could happen to anyone watching a child, including yourself. Stuff happens, especially with this age. No provider will be able to guarantee that your child will never be hurt by another or hurt themselves. Perhaps re-evaluate your expectations and also, carefully read termination policies before agreeing to a child care arrangement.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Again I'll ask the question the post was made for. Can we do anything to make sure this doesn't happen to any other people, legal, civil, or otherwise?
If it where me I would familiarize myself with any daycare contract I signed.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
What does the parent handbook/contract say about termination? It is possible that you signed agreeing to the fact that they don't have to give notice and don't have give a reason, in which case, yes, they are well within the right to terminate. Are you sure your son was not instigating behavior previous to the bites? As for the running and falling, that could happen to anyone watching a child, including yourself. Stuff happens, especially with this age. No provider will be able to guarantee that your child will never be hurt by another or hurt themselves. Perhaps re-evaluate your expectations and also, carefully read termination policies before agreeing to a child care arrangement.
well said.

.....wow, someone mustve missed their coffee this morning. If you are looking for legal advise, then consult a lawyer. We are all here to help each other, there is no reason to be rude. And yes, most centers have a clause on their contract that states they can cancel the contract with no notice, so double check your contract. If the contract says otherwise, then I would be contacting them to discuss. Another thing, I would question what the state investigators results were to the investigation - could it be that they terminated your contract to avoid the investigator digging into the matter more?

best of luck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM
wdmmom wdmmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WDM, IA
Posts: 2,669
Default

I would review the handbook and/or contract. If they are required to provide notice, I would probably contact the state investigator or licensing agent.

If you provided a deposit, you should get it back. If you don't, options are available to recoup it.

I have a clause in my contract that parents must provide a full months notice if they choose to terminate, however, I can term at will without notice. (I've only had to do this once and it didn't come without 3 previous warnings for the same problem.)

Terminations usually never end amicably.

Also...who gave you the notice that your son couldn't come back? Was it the director?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,297
Default

Read your contract. Most centers require a two-week notice for parents to pull their children, likewise if the center decides to term the child...but centers have a few immediate-termination situations, which are, I think....gross misconduct by the child, absent a certain number of consecutive days without notice, non-payment of fees, and gross or continuous violations of the contract. All centers have the right to terminate a child for any reason, but I think they have to give notice.

I don't think this was grounds for immediate termination, in any state...especially in the manner that they handled it. I would look up the number to your local licensing agency (call city hall if you dont know what it is) and find out for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,292
Default

It sounds like they just termed you when they knew you were planning on leaving. There had to be tension and most likely words exchanged for them to KNOW you were looking elsewhere.

When clients are leaving after something happens like this they ALL look the same. They walk the same, talk the same, have the same hand gestures, the same facial expressions, the same voice inflections.

So when you showed them that you were leaving with your response they knew THAT was your signal that you were LOOKING for other arrangments.

That's all they needed. They just want to end it now so nothing else happens. They don't want any more discussions or layers of this.

You missing work isn't going to bother them a bit. It's just time to move on.

And twelve hour days PLUS weekend work???????????? That's a lot of hours away from your child every day. I hope your child is just in child care eight or nine max a day. If he's in really long hours it would explain almost everything you wrote about his experience.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-29-2011, 06:21 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

I missed the update the OP wrote but agree that if there is any way possible, you need to be around your son more. No thats not what you want to hear. I understand times are tough but you WILL continue to have issues with daycare when your son is away from you that much and you cannot miss even a day of work to accommodate him. You need a backup plan at all times in case he just needs time with you or becomes seriously ill. Besides that, finding a new daycare is not the old daycare's problem. You're his parent, it's your responsibility and your problem. Things didn't work out at the first place and they terminated, which they had the right too, and have no responsibility to watch your child while you find another caregiver. This is a business, not a charity. Yes it involves children but still, from a business perspective, they are cutting their losses and letting you go, makes perfect sense. They did not do anything illegal or even unethical as I am sure it is all spelled it in the contract. I think the thing that is most alarming about the situation is how upset you are at being inconvenienced by your own child. You will not find much support for your point of view here because as child care providers, we unfortunately see a lot of parents like you that are working so much that they don't have the time to fully care for each issue or research the best daycare option and usually only get upset when the issue becomes a problem for them. It is very possible that this daycare could have handled things better but you can only control yourself, your responses and reactions. The court system or whoever is not going to care that you had to miss work to find new daycare so I seriously doubt you have any recourse in this situation. Its just a part of being a parent. Good luck in your new search.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
youretooloud's Avatar
youretooloud youretooloud is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The desert.
Posts: 1,958
Default

The hand injury was probably nobody's fault. Those things just happen, in any setting, and will happen when he's with you.

But, giving no notice is pretty lousy!!! Even a parent who is unhappy with the daycare is expected to give a two week's notice. I'd be very angry at them for pulling a stunt like that. That seems very unfair. I don't know what you can do legally. But, I do think you should have been given a two week notice, as I assume you were planning to do with them.

I do hope you find someone quickly, even if it's just temporary.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default read your contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im looking for a specific answer to a question. Im not explaining our train of thought or writing a book here. Nor am I looking for advice on a new daycare.

If you want to help and stay on topic then please respond. If not, dont bother. I dont have time for this.

But to appease your thoughts and to put the questions of any others to rest I will explain:

Kids get bit in daycare. It happens, I understand this. Im not going to remove him if its not an ongoing constant issue. Moreover is the fact of how they treated us here at the end, I dont want other parents to go through the same thing.

After the incident with his hand we immediately started looking for a new daycare. It takes a little bit more time to find a daycare than 3 days of looking and calling around around, especially sine we CAN NOT afford to miss work, and work regular hours. I personally work from 7am to 7pm during the weekdays, and am also regularly on call during the weekend.

I am not at all upset about having to look for a new daycare. You read that post out of the context I meant for it to be read as.

I am UPSET because we are gonna be out of the money I use to feed my son and pay rent, because they gave us no notice and blind sided us. They KNEW we were taking him out, and decided to kick him out because we could make arrangements.

Again I'll ask the question the post was made for. Can we do anything to make sure this doesn't happen to any other people, legal, civil, or otherwise?

I won't apologize for the group being so rude to you. I'm a parent who uses this site as reference and have noticed that virtually are of them are like this in virtually every situation. I agree that the group should stay focused on what you asked, not disect your email about your working hours or otherwise because that's not what you were asking. I recommend that you read your contract. What this forum doesn't seem to get time after time is that while it's easy to say you should pull your child, etc, but in the long run, as customers, we work part or full time and have to be at work or we risk losing our jobs or losing our annual raise because of this kind of stupid stuff that this daycare pulled on you.

If I were you, I would read your contract and if they were supposed to give you 2 weeks, then I would file a complaint with licensing. If there is a generic clause about giving less than 2 weeks notice, they have to legally justify that if someone challenges it and I would challenge that via licensing. Good luck and just be glad that your child is out of there. You'll see that things will be much better somewhere else. And before signing up your child in a home daycare, I would highly recommend you read some threads on the daycare provider part of the forum before deciding and get some recommendations from your friends. Ultimately, go with your gut during your tour and turn down any place that won't give you a tour during core learning time - it's vital so you can see how they interact with the children and what they do during the day. Some teachers are real flat and downright not fit to be around kids. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 AM
ghdpink ghdpink is offline
Member Awaiting Status Upgrade
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Default

What this forum doesn't seem to get time after time is that while it's easy to say you should pull your child, etc, but in the long run, as customers, we work part or full time and have to be at work or we risk losing our jobs or losing????????????????????????????

Last edited by Blackcat31; 06-02-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: removed links
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,162
Default

When I read your original post, I felt sorry for you and the situation seemed unfair.

However......when you sarcastically snapped back at the poster who offered some fair advise, I couldn't help wondering if you spoke to the day care staff with that same tone. If you spoke to THEM like that, then I am not surprised they terminated care.

My guess is that they didn't term because an inspector showed up....they termed because you spoke to them like they were stupid. Your last posts show how short tempered and rude you can be to someone who was only trying to offer some advise.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I won't apologize for the group being so rude to you. I'm a parent who uses this site as reference and have noticed that virtually are of them are like this in virtually every situation. I agree that the group should stay focused on what you asked, not disect your email about your working hours or otherwise because that's not what you were asking. I recommend that you read your contract. What this forum doesn't seem to get time after time is that while it's easy to say you should pull your child, etc, but in the long run, as customers, we work part or full time and have to be at work or we risk losing our jobs or losing our annual raise because of this kind of stupid stuff that this daycare pulled on you.

If I were you, I would read your contract and if they were supposed to give you 2 weeks, then I would file a complaint with licensing. If there is a generic clause about giving less than 2 weeks notice, they have to legally justify that if someone challenges it and I would challenge that via licensing. Good luck and just be glad that your child is out of there. You'll see that things will be much better somewhere else. And before signing up your child in a home daycare, I would highly recommend you read some threads on the daycare provider part of the forum before deciding and get some recommendations from your friends. Ultimately, go with your gut during your tour and turn down any place that won't give you a tour during core learning time - it's vital so you can see how they interact with the children and what they do during the day. Some teachers are real flat and downright not fit to be around kids. Good luck!
So you are suggesting he take his child to a place where strangers are allowed to hang around? I am a day care provider. Have been for 25 years. For the safety of the children I NEVER allow strangers into my home and allow them near the children. As a parent of four children, I would never WANT my children to go to a place where their security was so bad.

I used to allow it. One day we found out that the father of one of our little day care girls was a convicted child rapist who had done time in another state. He liked to come and "observe" (yeah right) as you recommend. He seemed like a nice guy at first...business suit, friendly etc. Nobody will ever "observe" again. The parents of the children I have in my care are very grateful that I don't allow complete strangers to come in and be near their children. They are free to come and spend time with THEIR child any time they like. But they are never allowed around other people's kids. There is no need for them to be.

I wish people would stop pushing the "go and watch" thing. If your supervisor at work spent the day staring at you, would you put a foot wrong? Of course not. You probably wouldn't even pop a piece a gum in your mouth as you worked for fear of being accused of slacking off. Doesn't mean you won't spend the work day on facebook when the supervisor is away.

Spending a day with a day care provider is no different. What if she is a horrible person and abuses the kids.....do you think she'd do it in front of you?! Of course not! She will be on her best behavior! Mary Poppins in person!

Parents should check with licensing, ask for references of present and past clients and then watch their kids. Do they come home happy? Do they have friends? Do they talk about day care as if they enjoy it? These are REAL indicators of what the facility is like.

I know I am waaaay off topic here....but I am tired of the scaremongering that gets done to parents. Not all day care providers are satan personified.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM
texascare's Avatar
texascare texascare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 203
Default

I don't think that a center or most centers have to give you 2 weeks notice...I could be wrong. However, biting does happen at daycare where ever you are and so do small injuries no matter how well we watch them-Especially at his age. If you were termintated on a Tuesday and had just paid your weekly fee that week i would ask for a refund of the unused days. Don't know if you will get it or no but it doesn't hurt to ask. What center is this? I am in Texas as well.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
littlemissmuffet's Avatar
littlemissmuffet littlemissmuffet is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,081
Default

Can we do anything to make sure this doesn't happen to any other people, legal, civil, or otherwise?


Not likely. Most daycares, centers and home can term at will.

I have suspicions you and/or your wife were disrespectful to the daycare workers and that's what earned your termination note - could be wrong, but I doubt it

My only concern is their note was completely unprofessional - that is, if you didn't paraphrase!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I think your child was poorly supervised

The biting, fall and conflict over the toy are all signs of missed opportunities to redirect, guide and teach. Be glad you are gone and didn't drag your child through a waiting period while getting a new place sorted out. I would report, on top of the report generated by the hospital visit. How long did it take them to notify you that there was an injury? Too long.

They are going to do it to other children. You would be shocked at what goes on in the world, just keep your own kid safe.

Centers like this are happiest when they are full of kids whose parents don't care. It takes a lot of reports to make a tiny improvement, and those reports have to be substantiated. Your report is just going to be a drop in the bucket, but eventually it will be full.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default So then all Child Care Expert websites are wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
So you are suggesting he take his child to a place where strangers are allowed to hang around? I am a day care provider. Have been for 25 years. For the safety of the children I NEVER allow strangers into my home and allow them near the children. As a parent of four children, I would never WANT my children to go to a place where their security was so bad.

I used to allow it. One day we found out that the father of one of our little day care girls was a convicted child rapist who had done time in another state. He liked to come and "observe" (yeah right) as you recommend. He seemed like a nice guy at first...business suit, friendly etc. Nobody will ever "observe" again. The parents of the children I have in my care are very grateful that I don't allow complete strangers to come in and be near their children. They are free to come and spend time with THEIR child any time they like. But they are never allowed around other people's kids. There is no need for them to be.

I wish people would stop pushing the "go and watch" thing. If your supervisor at work spent the day staring at you, would you put a foot wrong? Of course not. You probably wouldn't even pop a piece a gum in your mouth as you worked for fear of being accused of slacking off. Doesn't mean you won't spend the work day on facebook when the supervisor is away.

Spending a day with a day care provider is no different. What if she is a horrible person and abuses the kids.....do you think she'd do it in front of you?! Of course not! She will be on her best behavior! Mary Poppins in person!

Parents should check with licensing, ask for references of present and past clients and then watch their kids. Do they come home happy? Do they have friends? Do they talk about day care as if they enjoy it? These are REAL indicators of what the facility is like.

I know I am waaaay off topic here....but I am tired of the scaremongering that gets done to parents. Not all day care providers are satan personified.
I respect your opinion. You have a very good case as to why you don't allow it if what you're saying is true. Obviously, tours cannot require a background check before touring, but none of the home daycares or centers around my area perform a background check on customers - in my State, they legally have to reveal if a background check is required, because you have to submit to it in writing. So unless you have a lot of personal information on the person, there's no way you'd know anyway. And tours are generally limited to a 1-2 times anyway - there should have been red flags when this guy didn't have children with him and wanted to tour repeatedly - something doesn't check out with your story at all. If he was convicted, regardless of state, I can guarantee you in every state that he wouldn't be allowed to have any unsupervised visitation with his kids and him showing up without a kid is suspicious to begin with. However, not touring is not an option for centers. Maybe small home daycares can get away with this, but centers could never get away with this. In general, if you polled clients (not providers), I think you'd see that your policy is the minority, not the majority - customers want to tour and see how things are ran during business hours. It's very easy to see if they cannot handle a roudy child or if the teacher is mean or doesn't interact with the children. And every child care web site is wrong then? There are people from state licensing, doctors, providers, etc, etc - all experts in child care - that recommend touring during business hours. I guess if you consider potential clients strangers, that's your opinion - as a customer, I would expect that customers get to tour and will be around my children. Obviously, a teacher is supervising and the tour is limited - it's not an all day thing at all. And your story doesn't check out that you don't allow parents to be around other people's kids - it's 100% guarantee that they'll be around other people's kids when they come to see their kid during the day or for any special events you hold. One of the biggest things wrong with child care is that there aren't enough compliance checks done - I wish they were done every week, not twice per year. You know the saying, "While the cat's away, the mice will play." By what you're saying is that you're good to the kids while parents are there, but completely different when they're not - I would check yourself. I think everyone in every field should be supervised more closely. References from exisiting parents won't work - the provider will only provide references of those who are happy there, never about those that weren't. And existing parents won't say anything negative either for fear that they'll get termed. Maybe not all providers are satan personified, but neither are centers - one thing you can't get in a home based is the checks and balances that come with a center - there's always multiple teachers in the rooms as witnesses to what's going on and can check another teacher and report things. Home centers can just cover things up. I've read most of the threads on here and I can say that I would never choose a home based based on the things that are said here. At least most centers have 2 adult teachers in each classroom which makes things much safer for adult coverage. After all, all the home based have to leave the kids unsupervised in order to use the restroom. As a parent, that makes me cringe to think what can and will happen in that 2 minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet View Post
Can we do anything to make sure this doesn't happen to any other people, legal, civil, or otherwise?


Not likely. Most daycares, centers and home can term at will.

I have suspicions you and/or your wife were disrespectful to the daycare workers and that's what earned your termination note - could be wrong, but I doubt it

My only concern is their note was completely unprofessional - that is, if you didn't paraphrase!
That was my thought too...considering how rude the OP was to forum members, it wasn't much of a leap...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I respect your opinion. You have a very good case as to why you don't allow it if what you're saying is true. Obviously, tours cannot require a background check before touring, but none of the home daycares or centers around my area perform a background check on customers - in my State, they legally have to reveal if a background check is required, because you have to submit to it in writing. So unless you have a lot of personal information on the person, there's no way you'd know anyway. And tours are generally limited to a 1-2 times anyway - there should have been red flags when this guy didn't have children with him and wanted to tour repeatedly - something doesn't check out with your story at all. If he was convicted, regardless of state, I can guarantee you in every state that he wouldn't be allowed to have any unsupervised visitation with his kids and him showing up without a kid is suspicious to begin with. However, not touring is not an option for centers. Maybe small home daycares can get away with this, but centers could never get away with this. In general, if you polled clients (not providers), I think you'd see that your policy is the minority, not the majority - customers want to tour and see how things are ran during business hours. It's very easy to see if they cannot handle a roudy child or if the teacher is mean or doesn't interact with the children. And every child care web site is wrong then? There are people from state licensing, doctors, providers, etc, etc - all experts in child care - that recommend touring during business hours. I guess if you consider potential clients strangers, that's your opinion - as a customer, I would expect that customers get to tour and will be around my children. Obviously, a teacher is supervising and the tour is limited - it's not an all day thing at all. And your story doesn't check out that you don't allow parents to be around other people's kids - it's 100% guarantee that they'll be around other people's kids when they come to see their kid during the day or for any special events you hold. One of the biggest things wrong with child care is that there aren't enough compliance checks done - I wish they were done every week, not twice per year. You know the saying, "While the cat's away, the mice will play." By what you're saying is that you're good to the kids while parents are there, but completely different when they're not - I would check yourself. I think everyone in every field should be supervised more closely. References from exisiting parents won't work - the provider will only provide references of those who are happy there, never about those that weren't. And existing parents won't say anything negative either for fear that they'll get termed. Maybe not all providers are satan personified, but neither are centers - one thing you can't get in a home based is the checks and balances that come with a center - there's always multiple teachers in the rooms as witnesses to what's going on and can check another teacher and report things. Home centers can just cover things up. I've read most of the threads on here and I can say that I would never choose a home based based on the things that are said here. At least most centers have 2 adult teachers in each classroom which makes things much safer for adult coverage. After all, all the home based have to leave the kids unsupervised in order to use the restroom. As a parent, that makes me cringe to think what can and will happen in that 2 minutes.
After all, all the home based have to leave the kids unsupervised in order to use the restroom. As a parent, that makes me cringe to think what can and will happen in that 2 minutes.

So do you not go to the bathroom when you are at home, or do you take your child to the bathroom with you every single time you go?

Why do you assume that at all DCs they are being left alone when we use the bathroom. I would never take a child into the bathroom with me, however, I do have them line up along the wall in my hallway outside the bathroom when I have to go. I may not be able to see them, but I can hear them.

Btw....there are more accidents reported each year at centers than at in home DC. Hmm wasn't yours hurt at one? I have never (knock on wood) had a child injur themself at my house, other than minor scrapes and bruises.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I respect your opinion. You have a very good case as to why you don't allow it if what you're saying is true. Obviously, tours cannot require a background check before touring, but none of the home daycares or centers around my area perform a background check on customers - in my State, they legally have to reveal if a background check is required, because you have to submit to it in writing. So unless you have a lot of personal information on the person, there's no way you'd know anyway. And tours are generally limited to a 1-2 times anyway - there should have been red flags when this guy didn't have children with him and wanted to tour repeatedly - something doesn't check out with your story at all. If he was convicted, regardless of state, I can guarantee you in every state that he wouldn't be allowed to have any unsupervised visitation with his kids and him showing up without a kid is suspicious to begin with. However, not touring is not an option for centers. Maybe small home daycares can get away with this, but centers could never get away with this. In general, if you polled clients (not providers), I think you'd see that your policy is the minority, not the majority - customers want to tour and see how things are ran during business hours. It's very easy to see if they cannot handle a roudy child or if the teacher is mean or doesn't interact with the children. And every child care web site is wrong then? There are people from state licensing, doctors, providers, etc, etc - all experts in child care - that recommend touring during business hours. I guess if you consider potential clients strangers, that's your opinion - as a customer, I would expect that customers get to tour and will be around my children. Obviously, a teacher is supervising and the tour is limited - it's not an all day thing at all. And your story doesn't check out that you don't allow parents to be around other people's kids - it's 100% guarantee that they'll be around other people's kids when they come to see their kid during the day or for any special events you hold. One of the biggest things wrong with child care is that there aren't enough compliance checks done - I wish they were done every week, not twice per year. You know the saying, "While the cat's away, the mice will play." By what you're saying is that you're good to the kids while parents are there, but completely different when they're not - I would check yourself. I think everyone in every field should be supervised more closely. References from exisiting parents won't work - the provider will only provide references of those who are happy there, never about those that weren't. And existing parents won't say anything negative either for fear that they'll get termed. Maybe not all providers are satan personified, but neither are centers - one thing you can't get in a home based is the checks and balances that come with a center - there's always multiple teachers in the rooms as witnesses to what's going on and can check another teacher and report things. Home centers can just cover things up. I've read most of the threads on here and I can say that I would never choose a home based based on the things that are said here. At least most centers have 2 adult teachers in each classroom which makes things much safer for adult coverage. After all, all the home based have to leave the kids unsupervised in order to use the restroom. As a parent, that makes me cringe to think what can and will happen in that 2 minutes.

You said: there should have been red flags when this guy didn't have children with him and wanted to tour repeatedly - something doesn't check out with your story at all.


The provider said "I used to allow it. One day we found out that the father of one of our little day care girls was a convicted child rapist who had done time in another state. He liked to come and "observe" (yeah right) as you recommend.


The child rapist parent DID have a kid in the day care. He wasn't coming without a kid. His kid was IN the day care. He wanted to OBSERVE like you are sying the parents SHOULD observe.

He wasn't going there without a kid. HIS kid is what allowed him to observe any time he wanted. She was his "IN" to get to observe the other little girls there.

Isn't that really cool? Don't you love THAT? Isn't that what the books say? Can you imagine that just because someone has sex and a child is born that that gives him the right to come see about YOUR little girl at the day care. Just as long as HIS kid is in the day care he gets to visit YOURS... as often as he wants.. for as long as he wants... whenever he wants. He gets to come and watch HER. All he had to do was impregnate someone and VOILA... He's a PARENT and he has RIGHTS.

REDICULOUS.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post

You said: there should have been red flags when this guy didn't have children with him and wanted to tour repeatedly - something doesn't check out with your story at all.


The provider said "I used to allow it. One day we found out that the father of one of our little day care girls was a convicted child rapist who had done time in another state. He liked to come and "observe" (yeah right) as you recommend.


The child rapist parent DID have a kid in the day care. He wasn't coming without a kid. His kid was IN the day care. He wanted to OBSERVE like you are sying the parents SHOULD observe.

He wasn't going there without a kid. HIS kid is what allowed him to observe any time he wanted. She was his "IN" to get to observe the other little girls there.

Isn't that really cool? Don't you love THAT? Isn't that what the books say? Can you imagine that just because someone has sex and a child is born that that gives him the right to come see about YOUR little girl at the day care. Just as long as HIS kid is in the day care he gets to visit YOURS... as often as he wants.. for as long as he wants... whenever he wants. He gets to come and watch HER. All he had to do was impregnate someone and VOILA... He's a PARENT and he has RIGHTS.

REDICULOUS.
Go Nanny Go Nanny.......lol sorry !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post

You said: there should have been red flags when this guy didn't have children with him and wanted to tour repeatedly - something doesn't check out with your story at all.


The provider said "I used to allow it. One day we found out that the father of one of our little day care girls was a convicted child rapist who had done time in another state. He liked to come and "observe" (yeah right) as you recommend.


The child rapist parent DID have a kid in the day care. He wasn't coming without a kid. His kid was IN the day care. He wanted to OBSERVE like you are sying the parents SHOULD observe.

He wasn't going there without a kid. HIS kid is what allowed him to observe any time he wanted. She was his "IN" to get to observe the other little girls there.

Isn't that really cool? Don't you love THAT? Isn't that what the books say? Can you imagine that just because someone has sex and a child is born that that gives him the right to come see about YOUR little girl at the day care. Just as long as HIS kid is in the day care he gets to visit YOURS... as often as he wants.. for as long as he wants... whenever he wants. He gets to come and watch HER. All he had to do was impregnate someone and VOILA... He's a PARENT and he has RIGHTS.

REDICULOUS.
Thanks Nannyde...."unregistered" didn't even read all my post! It's pointless trying to get some of these people to see the light. That's OK. The parents of the kids in my care know that their kids are safe and that's what counts.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,162
Default

"Obviously, tours cannot require a background check before touring, but none of the home daycares or centers around my area perform a background check on customers - in my State, they legally have to reveal if a background check is required, because you have to submit to it in writing. So unless you have a lot of personal information on the person, there's no way you'd know anyway. "

I check the sex offender registry and the arrest check for our county and the next. It's all openly available to the public. I check on every single person that enters my day care. No permission required.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I'm not the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
After all, all the home based have to leave the kids unsupervised in order to use the restroom. As a parent, that makes me cringe to think what can and will happen in that 2 minutes.

So do you not go to the bathroom when you are at home, or do you take your child to the bathroom with you every single time you go?

Why do you assume that at all DCs they are being left alone when we use the bathroom. I would never take a child into the bathroom with me, however, I do have them line up along the wall in my hallway outside the bathroom when I have to go. I may not be able to see them, but I can hear them.

Btw....there are more accidents reported each year at centers than at in home DC. Hmm wasn't yours hurt at one? I have never (knock on wood) had a child injur themself at my house, other than minor scrapes and bruises.
I'm not the OP. The OP was never rude - on the other hand, you all were very rude to her by getting off topic and dissecting her email as you always do. Why even have the parent forum if that's the way you're going to treat these parents?

There's a huge difference between a daycare leaving kids a group of young preschool children unattended and parents going to the potty at their house. Even daycare owners on his forum have admitted that they leave their own young children (not daycare children) unattended in their backyards during nonworking hours. So you have no arguement there. Come on, that's like saying parents shouldn't leave their kids in their bedrooms unattended during sleeping hours at home. Your daycare rules state that you can't leave your kids unattended during their napping hours, yet one daycare worker on this forum even mowed her lawn regularly during that time! There's different rules for daycares for a reason - to protect the children. You don't seem to understand that despite your decades of experience. You always try to have it both ways and you can't. And considering I just posted this and how many times you've posted to this blog, I wonder whose taking care of your daycare kids right now? Your assistant? Certain types of things are mandatory reporting, like kids that are out of sight and sound - it's just that there's no one to monitor your reporting this type of thing at in homes other than yourself, so you don't report it - I know because there are people on this forum who've said so in threads. And your statistic about accidents is up for grabs depending on your source and the type of information used. It's debatable on percentage and comparisons, etc. It's very easy for in homes to throw the statistics because there's no one to check if they reported it or not.

Meek060 - Yes, I did read your whole post and your story still doesn't hold up. You just don't like the fact that I'm arguing the facts and you're aruing your daycare stuff. There's holes all over your story. The story of the guy bringing his daughter there doesn't hold up - no state allows father to have unsupervised visitation with minor children with a felony violation like that, so the kid must not have been his kid or something. Something isn't accurate about the story. I know, I've got lots of friends and relatives in that biz and checked.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Who has the troll spray.................lol
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
"Obviously, tours cannot require a background check before touring, but none of the home daycares or centers around my area perform a background check on customers - in my State, they legally have to reveal if a background check is required, because you have to submit to it in writing. So unless you have a lot of personal information on the person, there's no way you'd know anyway. "

I check the sex offender registry and the arrest check for our county and the next. It's all openly available to the public. I check on every single person that enters my day care. No permission required.
Yes but can you check EVERY State? Just because someone doesn't have an offense in my State doesn't mean they are not an offender. They are supposed to Register here but I have no way of knowing whether they do or not.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not the OP. The OP was never rude - on the other hand, you all were very rude to her by getting off topic and dissecting her email as you always do. Why even have the parent forum if that's the way you're going to treat these parents?

There's a huge difference between a daycare leaving kids a group of young preschool children unattended and parents going to the potty at their house. Even daycare owners on his forum have admitted that they leave their own young children (not daycare children) unattended in their backyards during nonworking hours. So you have no arguement there. Come on, that's like saying parents shouldn't leave their kids in their bedrooms unattended during sleeping hours at home. Your daycare rules state that you can't leave your kids unattended during their napping hours, yet one daycare worker on this forum even mowed her lawn regularly during that time! There's different rules for daycares for a reason - to protect the children. You don't seem to understand that despite your decades of experience. You always try to have it both ways and you can't. And considering I just posted this and how many times you've posted to this blog, I wonder whose taking care of your daycare kids right now? Your assistant? Certain types of things are mandatory reporting, like kids that are out of sight and sound - it's just that there's no one to monitor your reporting this type of thing at in homes other than yourself, so you don't report it - I know because there are people on this forum who've said so in threads. And your statistic about accidents is up for grabs depending on your source and the type of information used. It's debatable on percentage and comparisons, etc. It's very easy for in homes to throw the statistics because there's no one to check if they reported it or not.

Meek060 - Yes, I did read your whole post and your story still doesn't hold up. You just don't like the fact that I'm arguing the facts and you're aruing your daycare stuff. There's holes all over your story. The story of the guy bringing his daughter there doesn't hold up - no state allows father to have unsupervised visitation with minor children with a felony violation like that, so the kid must not have been his kid or something. Something isn't accurate about the story. I know, I've got lots of friends and relatives in that biz and checked.

You are saying that if a sex offender has a child AFTER he has been convicted and paid his dues to society that he won't be able to have custody and alone time on every child born to him thereafter? That's so silly.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,025
Default

Nannyde, I really think that depends on the offense.

Hmmmm, the original poster never came back to say what happened.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
You are saying that if a sex offender has a child AFTER he has been convicted and paid his dues to society that he won't be able to have custody and alone time on every child born to him thereafter? That's so silly.
The father had done time in another state and got out on "good behavior" He moved to our state, met a woman and had a child. He had no restrictions with his own daughter. His wife never knew about his past until later (he hid the fact that he was a registered offender from her) and was devastated to find out he was abusing their daughter. The jerk is doing time and will see the light of day again.

Miss Troll......yes I called you a troll.......you have no right to call me a liar. I have no reason to lie. I had this experience in my day care. The children's security is my utmost concern and I have learned that you can trust NOBODY. Not a single parent walks across my threshold without being run through the arrest check and the sex offenders registry.

nannyde....this post isn't meant for you!!!!! I was calling "unregistered" the troll!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Yes but can you check EVERY State? Just because someone doesn't have an offense in my State doesn't mean they are not an offender. They are supposed to Register here but I have no way of knowing whether they do or not.
You can check the national sex offenders registry, but only local arrests. Some don't register. So I am afraid I treat every person as a possible offender when it comes to my little ones safety. Parents get to be around THEIR child only.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
You can check the national sex offenders registry, but only local arrests. Some don't register. So I am afraid I treat every person as a possible offender when it comes to my little ones safety. Parents get to be around THEIR child only.
You know what it is. It's an ideology that is "feel good". It's like the old saying "a fat baby is a healthy baby". The public LOVES these kind of ideas because it suits what we WANT to think and do.

It's not grounded in any sound principle. It's grounded in "I'm the boss of you".
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im a little bit more than irritated about this. Can they actually get away with this crap? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks for your time,
Daniel
What you can do is make a complaint to your licensing department. Whether it will be investigated or not is something I cannot answer but I do know that every complaint about a center or home is kept on file where I live. I would advise you to thouroughly read your contract and find out what it says about termination by the center and what they must do in order to term you. If your contract says they can term for whatever they feel is warranted, then it would be pointless for you to pursue it because you agreed to those terms. If it says they are required to give you notice and they didn't, then you could possibly hold them accountable by taking them to small claims court.

However, I must caution you that in situations like this it is going to be your word against theirs and the only facts the judge will probably look at are written documentation which I am betting they will have. I suggest that you simply move on and find a new child care provider, whether it be a home based or center provider is your call but try to find one that you can have an open line of communication with so in tough or sticky situations you both will feel respected and listened to.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
biting, contract, handbook, termination

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 02:09 PM
Experience transitioning a child from nanny care to daycare? cheerfuldom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 08-12-2012 03:54 PM
Drop Off Problem... Dsquared Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 02-11-2011 10:52 AM
Daycare Terminated My Child Then Wanted To Charge Me For Not Going Back aer523235 Parents and Guardians Forum 11 01-15-2011 10:26 PM
School Aged Children and Busing GretasLittleFriends Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-25-2010 07:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:58 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming