Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal For An 11 Mos Old?
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:42 AM 10-26-2011
I have a 11mos old girl that has been coming here for almost a month, 3 days a week.

The first 2 weeks mom would pass her off to me, no problems.
This week when mom tries to pass he off to me, she clings to mom and cries.
As soon as mom closes the door she's done.

DCM is feeling upset as to why she has started this, and says this isnt fun anymore.

Is there anything I can tell mom to reasure her, and does anyone know how long this is gonna last?
GretasLittleFriends 08:46 AM 10-26-2011
Is there a way you could take a picture of her happy and text it to mom right after she leaves? I did this for one of my moms, just an ease of mind type thing. I did it for about a week until mom understood the child was fine.

As for how long does it last? Not sure. I have one who is 3 and still cries some days when his mom leaves, other days he's trying to push her out the door.
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:52 AM 10-26-2011
Mom knows that she is fine and happy when she closes the door, cause she can hear her through the door.

It's just when she tries to leave, the baby starts to cry.
nannyde 09:01 AM 10-26-2011
Have her put the baby down on the floor... turn her body... and walk out the door.

No hand offs if the kid is fussing. The Mom needs to GET that it's about her leaving not you receiving.
Ariana 09:18 AM 10-26-2011
Kids go in and out of "stranger anxiety" phases in the first 1.5 yrs. A few months they're fine with you and then for some odd reason they're not. Also if she's clinging to mom and not wanting to go with you it could mean she's likely not getting enough mommy attention at home or is teething or something like that. My daughter is always clingiest when she's teething or getting a cold.

nannyde also gave great advice. Handing her child off to you when she's fussing could make the issue worse.
littlemommy 09:23 AM 10-26-2011
It's probably normal for that age, just stranger anxiety. It should pass!

I have a 26 month old that has been here 9 months. He still screams a hideous fit when he's dropped off. Mom carries him in and is all sad at drop off. She used to linger, and I suggested a quick drop off may be easier on everyone.

She now drops off quickly, but acts like she's going to cry every day. I'm sure he's feeding off her negative energy.
lil angels 09:42 AM 10-26-2011
If she is good the minute she leaves I would have he open the door and listen so she know. I take the kids downstairs though so they can't see mom did that. That seems to make parents happy.
Tags:drop off - crying, separation anxiety, stranger anxiety
Reply Up