Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How often does a parent ask to use your bathroom?
Never 20 26.32%
Rarely 31 40.79%
Sometimes 21 27.63%
Often 2 2.63%
Way Too Much 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Often Does A Parent Ask To Use Your Bathroom?
Lucy 11:47 AM 11-05-2011
I cringe when a parent asks to use my bathroom! Is that weird? It doesn't happen that often for me, but when it does, I cringe. It's usually when they've been in heavy traffic due to an accident or bad weather. It's clean, but for some reason, I think of it as private space. Well, I mean obviously a bathroom IS private while you're in it, but I just feel weird having other people go in there, period. Ok, the more I explain it, the dumber it sounds! LOL. I can't tell them no. Who wants to know that someone is standing there doing the potty dance while you refuse them a toilet? LOL.
kendallina 11:54 AM 11-05-2011
I voted never, but it has happened once with a very pregnant momma! I don't really mind, though.
e.j. 12:14 PM 11-05-2011
I had one parent who drank a large cup of coffee on her way over to drop her kid off for day care. By the time she reached my house, she had to go. I've had a few others ask to use it, too.

I have to admit, I don't feel all that comfortable with what amounts to having a public bathroom in my house but I guess it comes with the territory. I really can't see myself telling someone they can't use the bathroom if they need to go. I just try to keep it as clean as possible in case they need to use it and then clean it again after it's used.
BigMama 12:41 PM 11-05-2011
I have several moms who regularly use my bathroom. They always ask and are super polite about it. I don't really mind as I have all of their children in and out of there all day, but at the same time I don't understand why they don't go before they leave work????
Meyou 01:21 PM 11-05-2011
It happens once in a while but the washroom they have access to is the DC one so I don't mind.
GretasLittleFriends 01:25 PM 11-05-2011
I've had a parent ask once or twice. I generally don't mind, as we are rural, and some of them, even if they go before they leave work it's over a half hour drive to my house, and some of them another half hour drive home. However, they have to remove their shoes to come up into the main part of the house, and most people don't bother because that's too much work.
sharlan 08:18 PM 11-05-2011
I've had a few parents ask over the years. I never found it to be an issue.
Unregistered 09:22 PM 11-05-2011
I have a powder room right in my front hall which is the dc bathroom so I don't really care if they use it...I wouldn't be thrilled if they had to upstairs to the other one though...the upstairs always looks messy or the bed isn't made so I don't need them snooping around..

I always say "I don't know if it was flushed lately though.." Some of the kids are forgetful and if I haven't had the chance to go check, it might need a flush..if they still want to use it, I don't care...

I HATE having to go the bathroom and no place to go so I feel their "pain" and would hope they'd let me use their's...LOL!
dave4him 11:17 PM 11-05-2011
We only have one and my wife will be using it to get ready for work every day, so its pretty much off limits
Lucy 11:32 PM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by dave4him:
We only have one and my wife will be using it to get ready for work every day, so its pretty much off limits
We're mainly talking about after work. And would you really refuse someone? LOL
dave4him 11:59 PM 11-05-2011
No problem with after work
PitterPatter 07:00 AM 11-06-2011
I do not like allowing parents to use my bathroom at all but they do it anyway. I have found out in the past a couple of them were snooping and looking for drugs. Medicine has come up missing, parfume has come up missing. I know they don't always wash their hands because the sink isn't wet (yes i check when they leave so I know what I am dealing with) and I don't hear my soap dispenser chime. (it makes a loud DING when the soap is dispensed) So IF they even used the bathroom and didn't wash their hands then their germs are on the doorknob, down the banister or wall etc. I have mentioned before I don't like parents using my bathroom but they dont understand why. When I say I have had things stolen they take offense. We have medical reports on the kids we know they have a clean bill of health but what if a parent has a nasty disease we don't know about. Also there's the whole fear of finding what I see in public restroom toilets, feces, blood, etc. I really wish I could put a stop to them using my bathroom but when they really gotta go what do u say, no sorry pee your pants? I just get out the clorox wipes and spray everything down.
AnneCordelia 11:12 AM 11-06-2011
I have one mom who uses my bathroom about once a week. It's right next to the front door so I don't mind much.

Now, once she arrived at drop-off just in time to hear me chew out my oldest son for pooping in the downstairs bathroom. It's a rule I have for family: no pooping in the powder room!! The last thing I need is clients/guests arriving at my inviting front door to be greeted with the smell of poop. GROSS. So I was reexplaining this to him when she arrived and told him to use the upstairs bathroom in the future.

Fast forward three weeks...she steps in at drop-off and timidly says, "Can I use your upstairs bathroom?"

Abigail 12:46 PM 11-06-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:

Fast forward three weeks...she steps in at drop-off and timidly says, "Can I use your upstairs bathroom?"

What did you say? LOL
AnneCordelia 12:51 PM 11-06-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
What did you say? LOL
First I was a little taken back by the TMI and just laughed it off...."Oh, that rule is just for family. You are welcome to use the powder room."

A little icky to know what she was doing though. LOL. I always keep a can of febreeze aire in my bathrooms so that guests can use the toilet without being as self-conscious. I'd rather she'd have just used it and left...lol...rather than all of us waiting for her (so we could do the school run, we had to leave) and knowing what was going on. HAHAHA.
erinalexmom 08:26 AM 11-07-2011
They have never asked but they all live and work close so its not really an issue. Plus, I now have everyones coat and shoes on and the child waiting at the door. So its see ya tommorrow! Have a good day!
Crazy8 09:53 AM 11-07-2011
I answered "rarely" but I did have one parent once who asked and used it more often than that but they are gone so now its pretty rare. The bathroom is in my front hall so they aren't going thru my entire house and its usually clean but I always warn them to check before they sit in case a child didn't have the best aim.
daycare 09:56 AM 11-07-2011
when nature calls, it calls..... I just tell them that if I were them I would not sit on the toilet....lol

The kids have bad aim...

I voted sometimes
MarinaVanessa 10:25 AM 11-07-2011
It has only happened a handfull of times to me and I don't mind so much either way. If it happens, then it happens during daycare hours and once I'm closed the bathroom gets cleaned and the toilet and seat gets sprayed and cleaned with bleack anyway (I some have potty-trained kiddos). Since it'll get cleaned and disinfected, I don't feel that the kiddos or my family will be at a huge risk of catching something.
NiNi.R. 01:35 PM 11-07-2011
I've rarely had parents use the bathroom. I never thought much of it til recently.

We only have a 1 bathroom house. So of course all my makeup, jewlery, and such is in the bathroom. My wedding ring had suddenly came up missing. My husband and I had tore the house apart looking for it. It never turned up. A couple weeks later I was racking my brain trying to retrace my steps on what I could have done with it when it dawned on me that the same week I noticed my ring missing was the same week that one of my dCM (with a shady past of drugs & stealing) had used by bathroom.

Now I have no proof of this. I could have just as easily misplaced it...but it's been months now and it still hasn't turned up and my gut tells me that it was stolen ...

Hubby and I are giving it til after the first of the year and if it doesn't turn up we will be buying a new one.
CheekyChick 01:37 PM 11-07-2011
My parents are welcome to use either of our restrooms. When you have to go, you have to go.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 11-07-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I've rarely had parents use the bathroom. I never thought much of it til recently.

We only have a 1 bathroom house. So of course all my makeup, jewlery, and such is in the bathroom. My wedding ring had suddenly came up missing. My husband and I had tore the house apart looking for it. It never turned up. A couple weeks later I was racking my brain trying to retrace my steps on what I could have done with it when it dawned on me that the same week I noticed my ring missing was the same week that one of my dCM (with a shady past of drugs & stealing) had used by bathroom.

Now I have no proof of this. I could have just as easily misplaced it...but it's been months now and it still hasn't turned up and my gut tells me that it was stolen ...

Hubby and I are giving it til after the first of the year and if it doesn't turn up we will be buying a new one.
First off, I am so sorry that happened to you!

I would start checking local pawn shops and it probably wouldn't hurt to at least file a police report (even if you don't mention the dcm's name) At least there will be some documentation in case the ring turns up as a confiscated item from who knows what kind of case....

Couldn't hurt....
daycare 03:29 PM 11-07-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:

I know you only have one bathroom, but maybe you can store your personal items else where or get a locked cabinet.

My older kids have to share a bathroom with daycare kids. I bought them both a really cute cosmetic/ sanitary bag for all of their bathroom stuff. They take it in and out with them daily when they use the bathroom. I don't have any locking cabinets and don't want to install any since we will move in about a year or so.

I have my kids keep everything personal in their rooms. This way nothing gets mixed in with DCK stuff ever...

SO sorry that this happened to you...Hopefully it will turn up when you least expect it and someone really didnt' take it...
Tags:bathroom - issues, parents - ask too much, parents using bathroom, poll, using bathroom
Reply Up