Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Biting

Today 2 year old DCB bit 2 year old DS. He got a scolding and timeout. Few hours later DS bit DCB. Eeek! I really don't want this to become a trend. How do a put the ca-bosh on it now so it doesn't become a bigger issue?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

We have a long running thread on biting in the Parents and Guardians section: http://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6
Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

well, this is the same post i copied and pasted from the thread Michael just posted - and it was what worked for me and my child, and what was NOT working for the biter:

my daughter never bit anyone until a child started biting her at daycare. normally, when i'd pick her up from daycare, i'd pick her up, hug her, kiss her, talk to her, etc. the day i walked in and saw the incident report saying she bit someone, i didn't pick her up or hug her. i said something like, "you do NOT bite! i am not happy!" i made her walk to the car and i didn't hold her hand or talk to her AT ALL. normally, i'd carry her and talk. she bit one more time after that and i did the same exact thing. she never bit again.

there was a girl biting my son every single day, multiple times a day and i was MAD!! biting is normal, but biting the same child repeatedly for no reason is not nomal. he's very sweet natured and would never bite back or do anything. it got to where he cried when we got close to the daycare because he knew he was going to be chewed on all day. i was there when the mother of the child who was biting picked her up one day. she walked in, picked her daughter up, hugged her, kissed her, and was rubbing her head as she was saying, "why are you biting?" in a little baby voice. OBVIOUSLY, that approach was not working.

kids bite other kids their age - so just because they don't bite their parents or siblings at home is no indication whatsoever of what they do at daycare with peers.

anyhow, i think dealing with your child who bites depends on the dynamic between you and your child. what i did with my daughter worked like a charm because she hated that i was upset and i made it CLEAR that i was. it's not being mean - it's being stern. biting HURTS and they need to know that you are very unhappy when it happens
Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Family Childcare Home

This is what I have on biting:

Biting in the Child Care Setting: http://www.ucsfchildcarehealth.org/p...060604_adr.pdf

Hope it helps.

Tags
biting