Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curious..Am I The Only One?
Unregistered 11:36 AM 03-07-2011
I am a registered user, but prefer for this thread to remain anonymous. I have a home daycare, and currently I am full. I started doing this because I wanted to be home for my four children. I am wondering though, for those of you who have "curriculums", do you consider yourselves daycares or preschools? The reason I'm wondering is because I don't have a curriculum(gasp!) and I don't want one. Am I the only one?

You see, I feel that daycare is a place for kids to go while parents work, and play! We have a schedule here, and do crafts and things like that too, all the while learning too, but I feel like if a parent wants all that curriculum stuff, wait till their three and send them to preschool. I didn't want to do this to be a teacher, because I'm not. I play with the kids and always have fun and educational things for them to do,but I don't feel that littles should be worrying about learning everything they need to for kindy by thetime their 2 & 3. What happened to kids just playing? I just feel that there is so much pressure on kids these days. They learn so much so fast, grow up so quickly, and we wonder why our society is so high strung and stressed.

I guess I'm kind of venting here, but am I the only one who just wants to take care of kids? Be the "babysitter" if you will. I just feel like parents should be the ones teaching their kids these things and that providers shouldn't be taking on the roles of the parents- even if they are with us most of their day. We aren't their parents. Does this make me a bad provider? If I may add, all my dcks are very happy here. I just feel alone in my view of childcare. Sorry so long. Any opinions are welcome!
Lilbutterflie 11:43 AM 03-07-2011
I'm with you all the way! I don't have a curriculum, and don't want one. Though I see nothing wrong with those that have one. It's just not for me.
Cat Herder 11:46 AM 03-07-2011
Join the club, we have cookies.....

Really, I am beginning more and more to believe it is a "buzz word" marketing thing instead of a "child care philosophy" everyday....
Unregistered 11:47 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I'm with you all the way! I don't have a curriculum, and don't want one. Though I see nothing wrong with those that have one. It's just not for me.
That's great to know! I also have nothing against those who do, i just don't want to.
DCMomOf3 11:49 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Join the club, we have cookies.....

Really, I am beginning more and more to believe it is a "buzz word" marketing thing instead of a "child care philosophy" everyday....
are there enough cookies for all of us?
GretasLittleFriends 11:53 AM 03-07-2011
I swear, I couldn't have written this better myself. I completely agree.

I have one child who is 4, going to be 5 soon, and is not in preschool. The parent's view was like "eh, whatever... child will pick things up as he grows." He felt child would be in school for years to come, why make him start too early. This little boy knows his shapes, colors, letters (sight and sound) and most of his numbers. He knows how to write most of his letters and numbers. What he doesn't know he's learning.

We read, play, sing, do puzzles, all kinds of things that are learning activities, but I do not have a curriculum either. I am not a teacher and can't see doing a set schedule with an 8 mo old, 10 mo old (mine), 2 yr old, just turned 3 yr old and this 4 almost 5 yr old during the day.
JJPlaycare 12:09 PM 03-07-2011
AMEN to that!! I felt stressed when I joined this forum because I didn't have a curriculum and I felt that so many did! I checked into it, but never got one! I feel I do have a curriculum here everyday, it just isn't mailed to me or in a box or have a step by step approach! All the kids that come here learn something new everyday and they teach me something new everyday as well! Sometimes they bring things home and sometimes they don't, but it doesn't mean we did nothing all day and it doesn't mean they didn't learn anything! Children learn easily and they are very teachable and there are many ways to go about it and to help them learn and to be kids and to have fun! I think it is great for the ones that do have a structured curriculum and there are parents out there that want that for their kids, but there are also parents out there that don't want or need that and they come to a place like mine!! Thats why it works both ways for everyone!
KEG123 12:15 PM 03-07-2011
I'm half with you... I say half because my son is almost 3 and he won't be going to preschool.... so we plan (I say plan because I have no dck at the moment) to do more things that a preschool would do. Which, is why I'm looking at all my options at this point. I don't want to stress out over it, but want to include learning with a hands on, but most of all FUN, approach!
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 03-07-2011
I am having this personal tug-o-war with this whole issue too.....
I used to work for Head Start and quit so I could run my own preschool program. I became licensed as a family childcare provider because I couldn't do it as a center without a degree....so anyways long story short is that now that I am thiscloseto having my Bachelors degree, I am not sure this is how I want to do it any more. (I am not sure I agree with all the new teaching philosophies and such)

I am finding that there is really no parental support in trying to teach the little ones "preschool" things when I have to spend so much of my time teaching them basic life skills. I think like catherder said, "preschool" has just become a buzz word in marketing and parents are really not willing to pay for preschool (at least not what I think it is worth). Parents want a safe, warm, loving place for their child to be while they are at work and the only kids in my area that get preschool are the ones who get it for free from the Head Start program.

The parents that do not qualify for Head Start do not make up enough of the market to have a preschool center and charge accordingly. They will just choose to go with a daycare option that advertises the whole preschool kit and kaboodle for less than $3.00 an hour.

I guess I am just finding out that I am not going to be able to do "school" for preschoolers since parents don't want to pay for it and if I am just going to be a family child care, then I want to focus on the basics. Self-help skills and social skills while having a safe, nutritious, loving and supportive care setting. I plan on teaching them the basic ABC's and 1,2,3's WHILE we play and have fun but it seems to be a lot less stressful to ditch the curriculum and weekly themes and just take really super good care of the children and nurture their own natural growth and development.

I like the whole approach to just go with the ideas, themes, and questions the kids want to know. I start out each day and let the kids tell me what we are doing and where our day will take us.
MyAngels 01:41 PM 03-07-2011
Mmmmm, cookies ! I knew there was a reason I didn't do the whole curriculum thing.

I tell everyone that I interview with that I'm not a preschool teacher, and so don't expect your child to come home everyday with a worksheet or a craft. If you want your child to "do preschool" then you should start looking for something at around the age of 3.

I prefer to let kids play, and create activities and learning opportunities through that play. Sometimes it's directed by me, but most often it's directed by them and what they are interested in. I give them a warm, happy, loving home-like environment, and I'm very proud of that.

All but two families in 19 years have opted to stay here through the preschool years. Some have taken their kids to a couple day a week program so that they can have that experience, and I don't mind that at all.
snowborden1 01:47 PM 03-07-2011
Here in Nevada we are required to have a curriculum in home daycares. Even if all we have are infants in our care. It bit absurd I think.
Unregistered 01:51 PM 03-07-2011
I, too, don't use any set curriculum.

The way I see it, children don't get much time to just be cared for without having an academic lesson plan shoved down their throats. My daycare is centered around caring for them, helping them to learn how to share with one another, creative problem solving and empathy. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a hippie. We do have themes but they aren't academically heavy. The kids will have 13 years of learning and I want to give them some time to have a different type of learning.
Childminder 01:57 PM 03-07-2011
I don't have a curriculum, I'm a daycare not a school. You could say we have a play based curriculum though. The children PLAY and learn by playing. We do crafts, activities, and parent pleasers (coloring sheets). We are required to read to the children everyday and I do. They learn to get along with others. Most of my children leave here at 3.5 - 4 to go to preschool anyway and I am not certified as a teacher. Also don't get paid as much as a teacher does.
Cat Herder 02:55 PM 03-07-2011
Had to share.... Today we started by watching a baby gecko hatch.....just a perfect timing kind of thing (pipped in the incubator while I was getting out art supplies from UPS man) so I ran the newly pipped egg into the playroom (in clear critter keeper).

It set off the whole day...we learned about many tyes of animals that come from eggs...chickens, snakes, alligators etc.. I even grabbed my son's ostrich egg from his science kit...

Too bad it did not happen closer to Easter....

These are the opportunities life offers...and I like to run with it...
Meeko 03:30 PM 03-07-2011
The National Association For the Education of Young Children have a wonderful pamphlet called "Play is FUNdemental" I have given it to parents who think I should be teaching their 2 year old's to read........it states that young children's job is to PLAY. They learn by PLAYING. Lego blocks teach math skills etc. You can go to their web site and they will send you a mountain of the pamphlets for free (or they were when I got mine)

My 3 years olds have a more structured program that they call "pre-school" but I make sure to let parents know that we cover more about the world around them than academic stuff. This week is space week for my little ones. Last week was pets.

I have a good friend who is a kindergarten teacher. She told me she gets lots of kids who have been made to learn their ABC's, etc.....but can't sit still, can't take turn, shout out to the teacher etc. She would much rather that day care's and pre-school's teach the kids life skills so they are ready for kindergarten and she can then do her job. So that's what I do.

But you'd be surprised how many parents want work sheets daily and flash cards for their babies......it's kind of sad. Kids need to be kids.

Sounds like you're doing great! Art activities etc and educational toys are great!
Unregistered 04:53 PM 03-07-2011
Im registered, too, but I kinda worry about privacy issues when posting stuff like this. I work in a center, and with a group we call "Preschool", which is a mixture of 3's and 4's. Im my area, kids go to Head Start when they're three, a state-run pre-k program when they're four and kindy when they turn 5. Thats a LOT of school in their early childhood years. We dont push Head Start so much because it has weird hours, has a huge amount of paperwork and home visits for basically what they get at daycare. We DO encourage all of our kids to go to Pre-K, because it is a wonderful program.

When my kids leave me, they know all colors, shapes, numbers, animals, etc. They can write, recognize and spell their names, are completely potty trained and can clean up behind themselves, dress, and keep up with their own belongings. They are now learning to serve themselves at meals and assemble/disassemble naptime (less work for me, more fun for them). I am not in favor with inundating them with "learning" and "curriculums". If they learn the same thing with me, then again in Head Start, then again in Pre-K...they will be bored at some point.

I was told by my director that she felt the kids weren't "learning" enough and that she wanted so much of the playtime to stop and replaced with "learning times". I did not agree. My kids learn from their play, from me, from their environment, from each other. We have circle time where we focus on letters, colors, etc and different topics, based on what interests them, for 10 -15 mins a day. We do table work and art projects several times a week, and I send home "homework" once a week so parents can extend what we learned. I think that's enough for 3 year olds.

But honestly, I let them go back to their play. Kids this young NEED to play, not sit at tables several hours a day, being drilled on colors and shapes. At times, I feel bad for going against what my director said, but I know my kids and I felt worse forcing them to sit down and do worksheets and listen to me drone on about letters when they really wanted to play.
Unregistered 05:38 PM 03-07-2011
I am so happy with all the replies! I dont feel so alone anymore! Thanks everyone for making me feel better about my approach! It is true that kids have so many years of school ahead of them, that right now while they're young, they need to just play! It seems though that so many parents want you to "preschool" their children instead of doing it themselves. Ive gotten lots of calls where the parents ask if we do any kind of curriculum and when I say no they seem turned off. Oh well, we have a good bunch right now! Thanks again for he replies!
kendallina 06:01 PM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
The National Association For the Education of Young Children have a wonderful pamphlet called "Play is FUNdemental" I have given it to parents who think I should be teaching their 2 year old's to read........it states that young children's job is to PLAY. They learn by PLAYING. Lego blocks teach math skills etc. You can go to their web site and they will send you a mountain of the pamphlets for free (or they were when I got mine)

My 3 years olds have a more structured program that they call "pre-school" but I make sure to let parents know that we cover more about the world around them than academic stuff. This week is space week for my little ones. Last week was pets.

I have a good friend who is a kindergarten teacher. She told me she gets lots of kids who have been made to learn their ABC's, etc.....but can't sit still, can't take turn, shout out to the teacher etc. She would much rather that day care's and pre-school's teach the kids life skills so they are ready for kindergarten and she can then do her job. So that's what I do.

But you'd be surprised how many parents want work sheets daily and flash cards for their babies......it's kind of sad. Kids need to be kids.

Sounds like you're doing great! Art activities etc and educational toys are great!
Thank you for saying this. Also, the "Play is FUNdamental" brochure is a great resource for those that would like to learn more about appropriate preschool curriculum.

I am always surprised and disheartened when providers think that preschool curriculum is synonymous with worksheets, academics, flashcards, etc. Developmentally appropriate preschool curriculum does not include these things. DAP curriculum is completely play-based. I run a preschool out of my home, and yes, I advertise that I use a curriculum. I develop my own curriculum and it's completely play-based, based on my own children's interests and helps the children prepare for kindergarten (which in my state, unfortunately includes learning a lot before they even get there...). My parents appreciate that I do things in a developmentally appropriate way.

And for the record, I have never "shoved an academic lesson down my children's throats". And my children don't go home everyday (or any day) with a worksheet or a craft. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen at some preschools, I know that it does, but I really don't like that people seem to assume that someone that does a 'curriculum' with children is making children do things that they are not ready for. Honestly, someone who has been educated in the field of early childhood education should understand that curriculum needs to be play-based and child-led.

It sounds like so many of you here do curriculum. You do activities with your kiddos. You follow your children's leads. And I'm sure that they learn a lot.

I really really hope that people don't feel like they have to go out and buy a curriculum. Keep doing what you're doing, but also don't sell yourselves short. Playing is learning and it's exactly what our children need.
MommyMuffin 06:12 PM 03-07-2011
I have no teaching background and do not want to be a preschool teacher.
I use a curriculum and love it. The reasons:

1. My daughter will soon be 3 and will be staying home with me. I want her to be exposed to many things. I am not creative and the curriculum offers lots of fun ideas, topics and activities.

2. I am in a very competitive city and anything to enhance my childcare helps.
mac60 05:16 AM 03-08-2011
I agree with most. I do promote that I do a preschool curriculum, which includes the alphabet, counting, shapes, colors, mostly the basics. We also do crafts and other activities. We go thru these each school year, and I don't start with the children in my care till they are 3 or so, so that at the most it is for 2 years for each child. I agree, kids need to be kids and there is a lot that can be learned thru play.
BentleysBands 05:30 AM 03-08-2011
Completely agree!
I call my "preschool /toddler curriculum " a play to learn approach.
all thru playing and music....along with a daily art project. Kids will learn what try need in school.its not my job!
jen 06:20 AM 03-08-2011
I'm half in and half out!

I've done MGT, Funshine, Carol's and created my own. I don't do ANY of that anymore. We do things based on whats going on in our world. Is it snowing, lets make a snowman, what happens if snow comes in the house? Who wants a snow cone? That kind of thing..

That said, "preschool" is big here and its what parents are looking for in my area so...I have 3 different programs come in and do activities with the kids. That is out preschool time. We do Travel-Tots, ABC Little Tykes (Spanish & Music) on a bi-monthly basis and ECFE comes in once a month to do a Kindergarten readiness program.
MissAnn 06:27 AM 03-08-2011
I only take kids who are 3-5 because I do like to teach. The name of my program has the word "preschool" in it.
MissAnn 06:37 AM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

You hit the nail right on the head! Children learn all the time....and best through play and authentic activities. They learn by planting a flower, watching it grow and inspecting it rather than gluing and coloring a flower.

You don't have to have a "curriculum"....you can offer many choices in play and have have good quality materials. You can then look for "teachable moments" to further their understanding.

You can allow and expect your children to get out materials they need and then put them away (if age appropriate). You can be the example of how to treat others. You can give children tools to solve problems themselves so they will not need an adult hovering over them at all times.

So....all of you who say you are not a "preschool"....well, maybe you don't call yourselves that, but I am sure you are doing many things to help ready your children for their next steps in life.
countrymom 10:17 AM 03-08-2011
well I'm teaching creative cirriculum, in laymans terms---basic stuff that anyone should know and do. We learn to dress ourselves, how to clean up, keep our hands to ourselves, you know that stuff. I also have wooden puzzles out, sensory bin (as soon as I put it together) the sorting box (omg this is their favorite thing to do) but I don't sit down and do circle time, we do art when I feel like it (I mean like a cookie cutter thing) but the kids have access to the art cart on wheels and they love it and go in it every day. I let kids be kids, if they want to be a spy, well let them be a spy. We talk more about things than sit down and do things like paper stuff kwim.
Unregistered 04:17 PM 09-04-2012
It sounds like you are all teachers. I say that with a smile as you are all "teaching" children life skills. This is so important to young children. I am a director in a corporate setting, but I still understand your dilemmas. It is hard to hold that balance between what parents want and what is right. Without life skills, patience, sharing and self-help, the actual ABC's and such will do them no good. Children learn through Play. BRAVO to those who use NAEYC's literature about Playing. I have these conversations daily with parents who want two year olds reading. Children must learn about themselves and the world around them first. I don't think any kindergarten teacher would disagree with the fact they would rather have a well-rounded, socially adept child than an out of control, insecure child who has the academics down. Don't downplay your value, there is a lot of learning every day in ordinary life.
kayla 05:19 AM 09-05-2012
I don't have a curriculum and won't either. Thats not saying we don't learn though. We do crafts and read a ton of books. To me daycare is to have fun and play. If you want a pre school then that is where you should bring your child. We do learn things everyday though, like sharing, manners, how to clean up after yourself, we learn about feelings. But it is not structured.
Tags:curriculums, daycare curriculum, preschool curriculum
Reply Up