Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Toys?
Jenniferdawn 11:49 AM 09-24-2011
I'm trying to gather toys for my daycare and I'm wondering what toys you have in your daycare that are your and the children's favorite. I have blocks, trains, cars, and baby dolls so far. In the backyard I have a climbing structure/slide, sand box and playhouse. I'll be having 2-5 year olds. And I don't like electronic toys. What else would be some good purchases?
Meyou 12:02 PM 09-24-2011
My kid's absolute favorite are the Fisher price sets from the 80's that were mine when I was little. If you can get your hands on vintage it's worth it. They are so sturdy and the kid's love them! I have the parking garage, school, castle, wild west town and two camper sets.

Other than that blocks, babies (the only accesories they like are bottles and blankets), trucks, the farm sets and playing with any little guys they can find from army men to LPS in the dollhouse.
Jenniferdawn 12:22 PM 09-24-2011
I thought I heard we can't have anything small enough to fit through a toilet paper roll, which would count out, wow, i guess a lot:cars, army men, plastic toy animals...is that not the case?
daycare 01:44 PM 09-24-2011
That's that grey area I was talking about again....
I have tons of toys that could fit in a toilet paper tube
I guess since they are "toys " they are acceptable.
But non related toy items are not acceptable.
KEG123 05:19 PM 09-24-2011
Blocks by far are the biggest hit. They also love the kitchen and kitchen toys, like the food, pots and pans, spoons, etc. Next would probably be cars/trucks/choo-choos.
cheerfuldom 05:24 PM 09-24-2011
Don't forget books and puzzles! plus a comfy reading corner. I also have a gigantic dollhouse in my playroom. A friend built it and it is big enough that the 1 year olds have tried to climb in it! You can also get some supplies for circle time....musical instruments, puppets and such. Also balls, hula hoops and ride ons for outside.
sharlan 05:36 PM 09-24-2011
I was just at Michael's and bought a bunch of cardboard puzzles for $.30 and magnetic/wood ones for $1.50.
Jenniferdawn 05:43 PM 09-24-2011
Great ideas everyone. I forgot to mention that I have a play kitchen too. My blocks supply is very low, so i think i need to add on to it. i was thinking about the amazon's Melissa and Doug's set. http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-6.../dp/B00008W72D Anyone have them? Are they nice?

The cozy reading corner is a great idea too. I have a very small house, basically just a kitchen and family room (besides the bedrooms) so I'm needing to get creative on the use of my space.
MyAngels 08:45 PM 09-25-2011
Dress up clothes are big with my little ones, along with big cardboard blocks that they use to build houses and forts.
littlemommy 02:15 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
I thought I heard we can't have anything small enough to fit through a toilet paper roll, which would count out, wow, i guess a lot:cars, army men, plastic toy animals...is that not the case?
Has anyone noticed how big toilet paper rolls have gotten over the years? They try to trick us to make the rolls look bigger, but just expand the size of the cardboard roll! That's going to keep knocking more and more toys off the list.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:52 AM 09-26-2011
I have 2-5 year olds and their favorites are...

Dress up clothes. I use old dresses or nightgowns that my 9 year old outgrew, or pick some up at yard sales. Also leftover halloween costumes, you can usually find great stuff at goodwill or thrift stores. Things like old purses, cowboy boots and hats.

Cardboard building blocks
http://www.farmgoodsforkids.com/yt-7...ng-blocks.html

Birthday cake and candles
http://www.amazon.com/Count-to-10-Bi...com/B0050DFQ3I

baby dolls and small blankets, doll bottles and play spoons to feed them with

little people toys, especially the school bus and school

Dancing Ribbon Sticks
http://www.amazon.com/Cramer-Rainbow...com/B003V13GCY

doctors play sets
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resou...7041360&sr=1-1

I store toys in collapsable laundry hampers for space. I have one for the cardboard blocks, and another for stuffed animals and dolls. Then I can store them somewhere else and just take them out when we want to.
Holladee 06:41 AM 09-26-2011
Favorites here are play food, grocery carts, cars and car ramp, dolls, keyboard and books.

I would also highly recommend a sensory table if you don't already have one. I usually change out what is in it every week or every couple of days depending on what it is. Some favorites to play with in it: water beads, cooked noodles, dry noodles, water with just about anything, rice and cars to drive through or objects to find, dried beans, etc. Sometimes I will just toss blocks in there - it suddenly makes them more appealing to play with.

I have two year olds.
Tags:sensory table, toy - favorite, toy suggestions
Reply Up