Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Asking For Things They See In Your House
Springdaze 08:14 AM 10-03-2011
I know I have to explain that one! Have you ever had parents ask for things they see in your house, like for instance, when I shop my school area becomes my drop zone for things like bottled water. The parents I have sometimes ask for some to bring to work! Ummm, yea, THATS included! Today I had a mini blind sitting on my cubbies that I need to bring back and a mom asked me what size it was because she needs one that is 36 inches! It was 34, but would she have asked to have it if it was what she needed????? Just weird!
Zoe 08:20 AM 10-03-2011
That's odd. I can see them asking where you got a certain toy, but I've never heard of them asking for things in your home. Um no! It's mine, get your own! Do they think you're a store?!
MamaBear 08:30 AM 10-03-2011
I used to have this really odd DCM who one day asked me if she could borrow one of my playpens for the weekend because they were planning on going to the beach & she thought she could use the playpen to put the DCG in while they sunbathe!!! WTH? I was like "nooooooooo". She sincerely seemed surprised that I'd say no! I wouldn't even take my playpens to the beach because they'd get messed up - why would I let her do that?

She was also the same DCM that would call me her "girl" or "babysitter" occassionally... Her license plate said "Divamom". I guess that says it all! lol
Crazy8 09:33 AM 10-03-2011
LOL, no I can't say anyone has ever asked me to have anything and they often see the stuff I have set to return in my hall closet, etc. They may ask where I got something, like a new piece of furniture in the entry or something decorative but no one has ever asked me if they can have it. I'd find that pretty strange too!
MarinaVanessa 09:45 AM 10-03-2011
Sadly yes, I have. I had a DC mom that actually walked into my kitchen and started opening cabinets then my refrigerator door . I walked in there and asked what she was doing and she grabbed a banana off of the counter and started eating it (I always have enough out for the day) and she was like "Oh, I'm just hungry for a snack" like it was normal to dig through someone elses cabinets and take food without asking.

I was so shocked! She didn't even care. I told her that her son would just have to do without and she actually got angry at ME! She told me "Fine, next time I'll just ask" and rolled her eyes and I was like "Um, well even if you asked you can't have any. This is DC and personal food. Not your personal supply". At pick-up she gave me bananas and said "Here's your banana back. With interest." All snooty-like. Needless to say she did not last long here.
laundrymom 09:45 AM 10-03-2011
I would say SURE!!! $1 each. :-) how many would you like?

I would tell play pen mom, well I'll sell it to you, because after it's at the beach it's not coming back in my house, want me to look up the price and let you know how much?

For miniblind mom. I would have said, sure it was ( however much the receipt was) just give me the cash and it's yours.

I think they forget sometimes that WE ARE a person. Not a business.
laundrymom 09:47 AM 10-03-2011
OMG!!
Wow. Some people just have. NO manners

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Sadly yes, I have. I had a DC mom that actually walked into my kitchen and started opening cabinets then my refrigerator door . I walked in there and asked what she was doing and she grabbed a banana off of the counter and started eating it (I always have enough out for the day) and she was like "Oh, I'm just hungry for a snack" like it was normal to dig through someone elses cabinets and take food without asking.

I was so shocked! She didn't even care. I told her that her son would just have to do without and she actually got angry at ME! She told me "Fine, next time I'll just ask" and rolled her eyes and I was like "Um, well even if you asked you can't have any. This is DC and personal food. Not your personal supply". At pick-up she gave me bananas and said "Here's your banana back. With interest." All snooty-like. Needless to say she did not last long here.

Hunni Bee 07:13 PM 10-04-2011
It was after closing time, and I was snacking on a bag of chips. One of the moms was hanging back talking to the staff. When she left she asked me could she have some of my chips...actually she stuck her hand out and said "Let me have some". I kinda laughed and waited, because I thought she was joking, but she continued to hold her hand poised above my bag. I said told her she could have them - another joke- but she took them and munched happily on her way!

Which I didn't really care about...but you actually thought you were going to stick your hand into something I was eating??
mom2many 07:30 PM 10-04-2011
This was shocking to read these posts! I kept thinking....OMG! Are these for real?!?

I have never experienced anything like this! Recently a dad asked for some ice cubes for his daughter's drink for their car ride home on a super hot day and I've had a parent ask to borrow one of my car booster seats, but in all of the years of running my business, I've always had very respectful and considerate dcps and would flip if I had any of these things occur!
sharlan 07:30 PM 10-04-2011
I've never had a parent ask for anything beyond a sippy cup of milk or juice for the ride home. They lived 40 miles and it could take 1 1/2 hrs some nights.

I've loaned parents things before. Dad forgot he took the carseat out, so I loaned him one of mine. Another Mom didn't know that her child spilled his milk in his carseat that morning and it really smelled by the time she got to my house - here take one of mine and I'll wash yours.

I've always taken my pack and plays to the beach, but never had a parent ask to borrow one.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 10-05-2011
I have a big play yard for outside if I have a couple of toddlers at the same time ...I paid more than $200 for it because I got extra extensions too to make it bigger...I had the snotty girlfriend of one of the dcds try to wheedle me around to borrow it for her dogs while they were camping!! I was kind of pissed off because she was always snotty, nose in the air to me ...

I never would have loaned it anyway but she was kind of pissy about me saying no...I had only had it for a few weeks and there was no way I was going to let her use it for anything..dogs, kids, etc. Geez...the nerve of some people!

I've had SO many parents come in here on a cold day with the kids having no mittens, hats and even boots! One dad actually told the kid that he could get mittens from me! WTF?? Since when is this home daycare akin to freakin' WalMart?

I've had parents tell their kids that they could ask me for batteries, school lunch, take home some of my toys, sleep over, etc. WHAT IN THE WORLD is wrong with these people? They make twice or more what I do every week but they think I run a convenience store too..but it's free, free, free..grrrr....
Tags:parent - weird requests, parents - ask too much
Reply Up