Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Helping Kids Cope When Children Leave The DC
daycare 03:10 PM 10-19-2011
So I just had a family that I had to say good bye to that was here for almost 2 years. I had to end the relationship before the term period was over.

So my question is, when a parent gives a 30 day notice do you start telling the other children in care? I didn't think of this and now am dealing with my own child having a very difficult time understanding why ad well as one DCK.

I feel like I should have began to tell them from day one when I knew so I could have helped them to cope with it better.

Do any of you do this? What do you say to the other kids in care?
sharlan 03:30 PM 10-19-2011
I've never really made an issue of it. The kids usually would ask where Johnny was and when I said he wasn't going to be coming back. They dropped it and moved on.

Since the child was close to your son's age, I imagine he's feeling quite a loss. Maybe explain to him that Jimmy isn't coming over anymore.
daycare 03:32 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've never really made an issue of it. The kids usually would ask where Johnny was and when I said he wasn't going to be coming back. They dropped it and moved on.

Since the child was close to your son's age, I imagine he's feeling quite a loss. Maybe explain to him that Jimmy isn't coming over anymore.
Yes it was never an issue before , but I always had a going away party before and would tell the kids that little Johnny is going to a new school now. Usually the week of.

Believe it or not, my son and another DCB is taking this very hard. All three are the same age
2ndFamilyDC 06:59 AM 10-24-2011
I mention it on the last day. If it is a family I have had for a long time and love we always have a going away party. Otherwise if I have given notice to them I don't mention it, I wait for one of the kids to ask where so and so is and then just say, they found a new daycare.
laundrymom 07:58 AM 10-24-2011
I lie. I wait for them to ask and just say their mom didn't have to work today. If the parents say anything I just say, they found alternate care arrangments.
daycare 08:24 AM 10-24-2011
All of the kids left in my care are all about 4 yews old and have all been together for the last two years or more.

We recently had a few kids leave for kinder and I did not do much to prep them. My son took it really bad and some times cries for them. He will say things like mommy they don't like me anymore so they didn't come back.

Two of my other DCK have had similar experienced according to their parents.

I feel like because I know this, that I should prep the kids about their friend leaving soon.

The parents have not told the child and I have not said anything yet.

Should I tell the parents that I'm going to tell the kids??
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 10-24-2011
This sounds a bit harsh but in reality, kids are resilient. They deal with it. I don't think it really affects them that much.

I guess I have never had an issue when kids leave. Most of mine age out but I have had a few here and there that move or whatever that requires them to pull out of care.

If the other kids ask, I say "Oh, Billy moved, he won't be coming anymore." or "Billy goes to a new daycare now." Asker say "oh." and goes off to play.

I have never really thought about it because most the other kids don't even ask unless they are older and if that is the case, they seem to understand or at least be ok with the answer I provided.

Now you have me wondering though how much it does affect them.....

I don't think it is too much or we would have lots of cases of emotional distress going on.
morgan24 08:50 AM 10-24-2011
I have never had anyone ask why someone else wasn't coming anymore. I also have never had a good bye party. Most of mine age out, the few that terminated earlier were bratty kids and I think the remaining group was glad they were gone.
Small Town Provider 11:11 AM 10-24-2011
My daughter was really affected when one of my DCGs left. It didnt even seem like she even really liked her that much when she was here. My DD was a full year older than her but she was here for 2 years though, so I guess they really bonded. After she left though, my DD cried for her all the time and wanted to invite her to her birthday party. It didn't stop until she started JK and made some new friends.
Tags:cope, separation anxiety
Reply Up