Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Help on Deciding a Prepackaged Curriculum

I am trying to decide on a prepackaged curriculum for the upcoming school year. I have looked at the popular ones: funshine, MGT, and am also looking at starbrite.

I looked through some of the old threads on curriculum, but have still not been able to make a decision. I was hoping some of you that have used a prepackaged curriculum can help me decide. It seems to me that you get a lot of material from MGT based on what their website showed. I cant really tell how much you get with the others.

My kids are 2.5 right now. Hopefully, I may be enrolling 2 more either the same age or a little older soon.

Any advice?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Mother Goose time!

I have tried both MGT and Funshine Express. MGT is a bit more pricey, but not by much. And it does include more materials. It has something to do everyday, while funshine only includes materials for 3 days a week and give you suggestions for the other days. MGT's calendar and materials are much more appealing than Funshine. I started with MGT and switched to funshine and now I am back to MGT and realized how much better it seems to me. I personally really like it and think it's worth not having to plan a curriculum. As a child care provider, mom, wife and full time student it is a lifesaver!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Nature Lover

I LOVE, did I say LOVE mgt!!!! I took it and ran with it. The book was sometimes followed, other times I did my own thing. I added to it, took away from it, made it my own. My parents absolutely loved it also.

We would get so wrapped up in it we didn't finish a few months this year sooooo I have some left over for next year and yes, we will go from there. I want to use all my stuff up and clean all my curriculums up as I have so much from 15 years worth of doing this. I'm really bad to because I love teaching so much that I just buy curriculum to buy it-.

Never, I mean never put me in a teacher supply store or an office supply store because I am just in heaven! Hours I will spend in those. I will buy things there more then clothes-
Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom View Post
I am trying to decide on a prepackaged curriculum for the upcoming school year. I have looked at the popular ones: funshine, MGT, and am also looking at starbrite.

I looked through some of the old threads on curriculum, but have still not been able to make a decision. I was hoping some of you that have used a prepackaged curriculum can help me decide. It seems to me that you get a lot of material from MGT based on what their website showed. I cant really tell how much you get with the others.

My kids are 2.5 right now. Hopefully, I may be enrolling 2 more either the same age or a little older soon.

Any advice?
I say you order a set from both MGT and funshine over the summer to see if you like it. I feel that they are both way too much money and that I stress over having to get the supplies in time, and everything setup on time and follow a book all day.

there is so so so much free stuff out there on the net it's not even crazy. I love to do centers. Ever hear of a book called everyday preschool by the mailbox? I love this book and live with it in my front pocket...ok not really its too big, but you know what I mean.
The kids stay entertained for hours with the centers and I don't need to stress trying to teach them cookie cutter projects. I buy a lot of online books from scholastic from the $1.00 deal days and from the mailbox. I use the materials how I want to or I follow the directions.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I say you order a set from both MGT and funshine over the summer to see if you like it. I feel that they are both way too much money and that I stress over having to get the supplies in time, and everything setup on time and follow a book all day.

there is so so so much free stuff out there on the net it's not even crazy. I love to do centers. Ever hear of a book called everyday preschool by the mailbox? I love this book and live with it in my front pocket...ok not really its too big, but you know what I mean.
The kids stay entertained for hours with the centers and I don't need to stress trying to teach them cookie cutter projects. I buy a lot of online books from scholastic from the $1.00 deal days and from the mailbox. I use the materials how I want to or I follow the directions.
Another big Mailbox books fan here. I have Day by Day Preschool Plans and I LOVE it!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks guys!! Im still deciding on a packaged curriculum. Although I have a curriculum of my own, I find that its a lot of work...as I don't have a stock of materials ready to go. I will likely go with MGT to start with. I hope I end up liking it, lol I probably will as I dont have anything to compare it too.

Tags
curriculum