Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>advice please! dcm upset about term
Unregistered 09:50 AM 11-17-2014
I've been reading the forum for just a week or so. Been doing daycare in my home for about 7 months now. I did not realize it until recently that I was caring for more babies than allowed one or 2 days a week. One dcb (9 mos) comes mon tues and weds. Dcb(4 1/2 mos) has a varying schedule but here 4 days a week. Dcb (6 mos) here most mondays and some tuesdays, but occasionally she has contacted me saying he won't be there at all that week. Once I figured out I was out of ratio I told dcm of 6mo I would be unable to watch him this tuesday because of the ages of the children I already had scheduled. She asked if this would be a regular basis and I explained I was trying to rearrange another family's schedule if possible to accommodate hers. DCB(9mos) spoke with their thursday/friday babysitter, but they were unable to change. I explained to DCM that I would not be available on a regular basis on mondays and tuesdays, so she would have to find someone else. I told her I am available next monday, but not Tuesday. But the following week I would not be. She texted and asked why her child got bumped when we agreed on mon and tues when she originally started bringing him. She was also concerned she would not have enough time to find someone else. I know she's upset, I completely understand why. But how do I nicely explain I have to follow the rules and stay within ratio guidelines, and that the baby that is here on a more regular schedule is the one I need to keep? Also, dcb (4 1/2 mos) and this baby are cousins :/ so I'm afraid I may lose him too. And the dad of dcb (4 1/2 mos) is an old friend of my husband's family. But I really like the family of dcb (6 mos) and he's the one that has adjusted best to our routine. I don't want to be impersonal but I don't want to be too personal either. And I don't want to give away too much info. Any suggestions from those of you that are so experienced?
midaycare 09:54 AM 11-17-2014
I don't know if I'm that experienced, but I would just fess up and say you made a big error.

Tell her you didn't realize you were out of ratio and you could lose your license for it. It was a business decision to let her ds go because (insert reason here - he is there the least, it was the toughest schedule to accomodate, etc.)

She won't be happy, but what can she say?
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been reading the forum for just a week or so. Been doing daycare in my home for about 7 months now. I did not realize it until recently that I was caring for more babies than allowed one or 2 days a week. One dcb (9 mos) comes mon tues and weds. Dcb(4 1/2 mos) has a varying schedule but here 4 days a week. Dcb (6 mos) here most mondays and some tuesdays, but occasionally she has contacted me saying he won't be there at all that week. Once I figured out I was out of ratio I told dcm of 6mo I would be unable to watch him this tuesday because of the ages of the children I already had scheduled. She asked if this would be a regular basis and I explained I was trying to rearrange another family's schedule if possible to accommodate hers. DCB(9mos) spoke with their thursday/friday babysitter, but they were unable to change. I explained to DCM that I would not be available on a regular basis on mondays and tuesdays, so she would have to find someone else. I told her I am available next monday, but not Tuesday. But the following week I would not be. She texted and asked why her child got bumped when we agreed on mon and tues when she originally started bringing him. She was also concerned she would not have enough time to find someone else. I know she's upset, I completely understand why. But how do I nicely explain I have to follow the rules and stay within ratio guidelines, and that the baby that is here on a more regular schedule is the one I need to keep? Also, dcb (4 1/2 mos) and this baby are cousins :/ so I'm afraid I may lose him too. And the dad of dcb (4 1/2 mos) is an old friend of my husband's family. But I really like the family of dcb (6 mos) and he's the one that has adjusted best to our routine. I don't want to be impersonal but I don't want to be too personal either. And I don't want to give away too much info. Any suggestions from those of you that are so experienced?
I agree with previous poster.

I would print off a copy of your state's ratio regulations and give them to ALL parents.

Then what you do is charge parents a FULL time rate if they need access to the whole week....even if they only use partial days. That is the easiest and best way (financially for the provider) to handle it for everyone.

The ONLY time I would do something differently is if a parent has a set schedule and ONLY uses the days she/he agrees to and doesn't need the option of using other days.

Otherwise, ACCESS to the week requires full payment to guarantee space is available. Here the ONLY way to guarantee space is to pay for it.

Rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance
Unregistered 11:22 AM 11-17-2014
Thank you guys! That's what I thought would be best, just needed reassurance! I haven't gotten a response. Hopefully pickup tonight is not too awkward... I am thinking a out a weekly rate rather than daily. Most of my kids are drop ins but when I get some more full time enrolled I think that's the way I will go!
Reply Up