Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Verbal 3.5 yr old Advice?
SunflowerMama 09:52 AM 02-08-2018
I've got an almost 4yr old dcg who will go half the day, sometimes more completely non verbal. She'll grunt for things and at friends, point, etc. but will not use her words. She's very impulsive, does not follow directions and has moments of rage, anger, physical aggression toward the other kids and sometimes me but is a very intelligent kid. At home she does the same. Parents are very laissez faire and constantly blame things on her being tired. They never acknowledge areas where she's struggling that I have brought to their attention and always blame things away.

She's quickly being pushed out of the 3/4s peer groups because they get frustrated with her limited communication with them so they just leave her alone and move onto something else which is sad to watch. On days when she's talking, communicating well and using her words she does great but the non-verbal periods are starting to out-number the others.

Advice would be great!! Parents rarely take my advice on anything so it would just be something I could implement here and just share with them.
Ariana 09:56 AM 02-08-2018
This is a side effect of children who are sat in front of the tv or the tablet all day long at home. It is a new generation of kids with no language, emotional regulation or parental face time.

I would push for a langauge assessment and terminate if they refuse OR just keep going and work on some face to face time with her theough talking and reading books.
SunflowerMama 10:29 AM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This is a side effect of children who are sat in front of the tv or the tablet all day long at home. It is a new generation of kids with no language, emotional regulation or parental face time.

I would push for a langauge assessment and terminate if they refuse OR just keep going and work on some face to face time with her theough talking and reading books.
I just need a really clear way (or to find a recommendation form) to bring up getting her assessed. Parents are SUPER anti-testing, labels, doctors, etc., etc. I KNOW exactly what they'll say. She's totally normal, just stubborn and wants to do things her own way, etc. but I'm seeing impulse behaviors daily that do make me fearful for others at times and her lack of communication most days is really hard to manage at times especially with the needs of the other kids.
storybookending 11:08 AM 02-08-2018
Just a clarification before giving my opinion.. the child can and does talk sometimes but just chooses not to most of the time?
Mom2Two 11:56 AM 02-08-2018
Def needs an assessment. Have them call your local school district.
SunflowerMama 12:21 PM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Just a clarification before giving my opinion.. the child can and does talk sometimes but just chooses not to most of the time?
Yes. She does and can just chooses not to.
hwichlaz 12:29 PM 02-08-2018
When they decline to have her assessed, have a termination notice ready.
Ariana 12:33 PM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Then I am not sure what the problem is really. If she has no delays and CAN talk it is her choice when she wants to talk. Thats my opinion. You can’t control whether or not others like her based on that.

Just my 2 cents
storybookending 04:26 PM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
It could be something or it could be nothing. My cousin at 3.5 didn’t talk AT ALL.. they had him assessed and they kept saying since there were no other signs to just wait it out and one day he just snapped out of it and by 4.5 you never would have known it took him that long to speak. He’s 14 now and has no disabilities.

I’d say the fact that she can talk but isn’t is better than not talking and not being able. I would just try not to let it bother me and praise her over the top when she is using her words. I wouldn’t push the parents for an assessment just yet. Mark 6 months on a calendar and if nothing changes by then and she’s not having any other issues then bring it up to parents again.
Tigerlilly 09:14 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I too would talk to the parents about seeking speech therapy. But I will say that my middle son had a speech delay and I felt terrible thinking I had done something to cause it. I had always read to him daily and still do. I constantly talked to him and asked questions. He just did not want to talk. Turns out there is a genetic component to speech delay.
MrsJ 02:50 PM 02-18-2018
If dcp are not willing to seek advise from a physician I would offer to reassess at a certain point. Maybe 3 mos timeframe. Then chat again. Keep notes in that time.
Sometimes people can speak but have trouble communicating in whole or get caught up somewhere along the way through the day. There could be so many ways to assist and sounds like room for improvement. I would def get this checked out.
Do you offer or are you required to give screenings as part of daycare every 6 mos?
Tags:speech - delayed, speech - milestones, won't talk
Reply Up