Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Question
Country Kids 01:10 PM 12-19-2012
My food program person was here for an inspection during afternoon snack this week. I just thought about posting this question because it doesn't seem right to me.

Had a childs snack ready to go, called everyone to the table. While I do this a parent comes in to pick up a child. Child goes right to parent and never stops at table. Food program person says I can't claim that child because they didn't touch the food. I can though give the snack to a different child. I thought if we made the food for the child, we can claim it as long as it was made for a child. Also, if the child had taken it with them I still couldn't claim it. They physically have to eat it here to be claimed.

Does anyone know if that is correct or not?
Country Kids 01:58 PM 12-19-2012
Just bumping back up.
itlw8 02:13 PM 12-19-2012
That is correct to claim the child would need to sit down and eat it. I have had it happen here also. I sent the snack anyway and turned to the rep and said yes I know I can not claim it but I send it anyway. If they have time parents wait for the child to eat.
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
That is correct to claim the child would need to sit down and eat it. I have had it happen here also. I sent the snack anyway and turned to the rep and said yes I know I can not claim it but I send it anyway. If they have time parents wait for the child to eat.
Not the case here.

I am only required to "offer" food to the child in order to count it.

I have had many kids take their snack home with them. My rep says as long as they were present when the food was offered, it makes no difference where they eat it at.

It's too bad the food program is a federally funded program but states all choose to implement and interpret the rules in their own ways.
itlw8 02:21 PM 12-19-2012
pretty sure that is a fed rule. you might have a problem with a different rep. It just seems funny 2 states would have the same rule and it not be a fed rule.
Blackcat31 02:37 PM 12-19-2012
pretty sure that is a fed rule. you might have a problem with a different rep. It just seems funny 2 states would have the same rule and it not be a fed rule.
We've had LOTS of threads/posts about how different each state is about food program rules.

A couple of examples I can think of off hand are feeding the kids left overs, feeding the kids all different meals and actually putting food on plates or not to be credible.

I've been on the food program for 20 years. I have had multiple agencies and multiple reps. All of them have said the same thing.
itlw8 03:00 PM 12-19-2012
what ever. what we do know for sure it is a rule in her state and a rule in MO so I have to follow it and so does she.
and if we want to count years I have 29 but that is not relevant at all. I may be new here but I am not a new provider nor am I stupid.
Blackcat31 03:05 PM 12-19-2012
what ever. what we do know for sure it is a rule in her state and a rule in MO so I have to follow it and so does she.
and if we want to count years I have 26 but that is not relevant at all. I may be new here but I am not a new provider nor am I stupid.
Shesh....didn't mean to offend anyone.

I didn't imply, state or say you were new or stupid.

I only posted that the serving rule was not a rule where I live.

I said nothing about what the rules were where you lived.
BumbleBee 03:06 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
My food program person was here for an inspection during afternoon snack this week. I just thought about posting this question because it doesn't seem right to me.

Had a childs snack ready to go, called everyone to the table. While I do this a parent comes in to pick up a child. Child goes right to parent and never stops at table. Food program person says I can't claim that child because they didn't touch the food. I can though give the snack to a different child. I thought if we made the food for the child, we can claim it as long as it was made for a child. Also, if the child had taken it with them I still couldn't claim it. They physically have to eat it here to be claimed.

Does anyone know if that is correct or not?
It's similar here. If a parent shows up and takes the child before they eat, I cannot claim it. If I send the snack with the child, I cannot claim it.

However, if a child is sitting at the table, is offered the food, and chooses not to eat, I can claim it.
MarinaVanessa 03:08 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not the case here.

I have had many kids take their snack home with them. My rep says as long as they were present when the food was offered, it makes no difference where they eat it at.

It's too bad the food program is a federally funded program but states all choose to implement and interpret the rules in their own ways.
BlackCat and I are not in the same state and my regs are the same. If the child was present and chooses not to eat it then I can still claim it. I simply have to serve it at the time that I say I do and if the child was present when I served them then it still counts. My rep says that there's no difference between the child sitting down and refusing the food or if the parent shows up and the child chooses not to eat it, it still counts.

I'd like to add however that snacks and meals don't count if I serve them somewhere else so for example if we decide to have a park day and I prepare a snack and serve it at the park then it doesn't count because I served it away from my daycare.

The only reason that I can see why your rep said it doesn't count is because perhaps although you made the snack you hadn't yet set down this child's snack in front of her yet when the parent showed up? Technically I suppose she could have said that you hadn't technically served it yet so packing it up and sending it with her wouldn't count towards you being able to claim it.

I know that if I have just served snack and a parent shows up but the child hasn't finished their snack (or meal) I can just pack it up and send it with them since it already counted towards me claiming it. I've never had a food program rep ever tell me it doesn't count.
wahmof3 03:33 PM 12-19-2012
Just have to offer it here. Heck 90% of the kids I have never eat it. Rep says as long as I offer it, I can claim it- you offered it.....
melskids 02:54 AM 12-20-2012
I only have to "offer" it here as well. As long as the child is here when meal time happens, they count...even if they are walking out the door.

I can also serve meals on field trips away from the house, and have even had my food rep meet me at the beach....and proceed to hang out for two hours!!!!
countrymom 05:47 AM 12-20-2012
I think its dumb that the child has to eat it. I make food all the time and I have some kids who just don't eat it. So what would have happened if he sat down for a second and then got up would that count as a meal. I don't know how you guys stay on the meal program, I just claim all my food at the end of the year, its so much easier.
Meeko 05:48 AM 12-20-2012
and if we want to count years I have 29 but that is not relevant at all. I may be new here but I am not a new provider nor am I stupid.
Whoa!! BlackCat said NOTHING offensive. In fact I was going to post almost exactly the same thing. I am required to only OFFER the food too. BC was merely pointing out that as the food program is a federal program, it's interesting that individual states interpret how they wish.

I've done childcare in different states and yes.....very different!

I'm not quite sure why you got so hostile.......
Meeko 05:53 AM 12-20-2012
PMS?
Or menopause?

Been there. Done both.
originalkat 06:07 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not the case here.

This is how the rule is enforced here as well.
itlw8 08:16 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
PMS?
Or menopause?

Been there. Done both.
twas the week before Christmas.

guess everyone gets one snippy reply a year LOL
Meeko 08:36 AM 12-20-2012

LOL
wahmof3 08:37 AM 12-20-2012

I am so with you!!!
allsmiles 01:55 PM 12-20-2012
countrymom i agree.. i am THAT close to canceling the program.. i think its just too much trouble and so frustrating cuz my kids dont even eat all the food im required to serve.. those checks are nice every month even though its only reimbursing a PORTION of what i spent, it comes in handy...
bunnyslippers 09:18 AM 12-21-2012
I cancelled the program this year. My rep was new, and a HUGE pain in the ass. On top of that, I was tier 2, which is a flipping joke to me. If I am shopping at the same place as people in the next town, why on earth am I getting reimbursed half of what they get? Because we live in a more expensive town, I get less money back. Completely ridiculous, in my opinion.

It jsut isn't worth the time or energy for me.
Oneluckymom 09:52 AM 12-21-2012
Same here, I only have to offer it to the child. If child chooses not to eat it, I can still claim it.
Reply Up