Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sending Home Work Daily/Weekly?
SunflowerMama 06:04 AM 07-06-2011
How does everyone collect and send home projects, worksheets, etc.?

When I first started everyone had a folder and I would send it home daily with a weekly report, that would stay in the folder all week, that I would update daily. Only 1 family would consistently bring the folder back each day.

Eventually we did away with the folders and weekly reports (didn't seem like anyone was reading them).

I'm now considering going back to the folders and collecting projects throughout the week and sending everything home Friday with a weekly report. Then I would just ask that the folders come back Monday.

Does anyone else send things home just once a week or do you send things home daily?

On a side note how many projects/worksheets on average do your kids do each week?
Country Kids 06:28 AM 07-06-2011
Afriend of mine gave me a thing that holds paper. You would put it in an office/school/craft room to hold different colored paper, etc. It has 12 different slots. I have given each child a different slot and then when we are done with a item that I want to send home that day it goes in the slot. The craft project might go up on the wall for the week/month or if it is a puppet or something like that I send it home. So worksheets, some craft projects go home daily. Other craft projects go home on Friday. Also, this is where I put all types of communication things I need to give to the parent so that I remember to give it to them-newsletters, bills, reminders.
DBug 06:49 AM 07-06-2011
I use paper trays to hold art work and worksheets. Each child has their own tray and parents can take the stuff home whenever they feel like it. If they trays start to get too full, I'll bag the stuff in plastic bags and hang them on top of their jackets, so that parents get the hint . Daily logs go home everyday, bills weekly, and both are kept on a mini clipboard in each child's cubby.

I find that most people are really busy and don't have the time to remember to bring something back and forth to daycare everyday, so I would expect that if I asked them to bring a folder back and forth, I'd be setting myself up for disappointment .
SandeeAR 07:17 AM 07-06-2011
I use daily reports, that are done 2 to a sheet of paper. During the day, I keep them on the sign in clip board and write on them there. That way at pick up, they are right where the parents need them. Once in awhile they are forgotten, but overall, my parents read them. I have two that are reading them even before they leave. One reads it before even greeting the child!

I also have a wall hanging with 6 hooks on the wall behind the door. It has 5 canvas colored bags (Hobby Lobby), about 6 x 6. Each has a plastic name tag with the kids name. This has their shoes and anything else that needs to go home. The parents are trained in the beginning to check this bag daily.
Crazy8 07:21 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I use daily reports, that are done 2 to a sheet of paper. During the day, I keep them on the sign in clip board and write on them there. That way at pick up, they are right where the parents need them. Once in awhile they are forgotten, but overall, my parents read them. I have two that are reading them even before they leave. One reads it before even greeting the child!

I also have a wall hanging with 6 hooks on the wall behind the door. It has 5 canvas colored bags (Hobby Lobby), about 6 x 6. Each has a plastic name tag with the kids name. This has their shoes and anything else that needs to go home. The parents are trained in the beginning to check this bag daily.
I'd love to see a pic of this set up. I am trying to figure out what to do with my entryway to make it more parent friendly for September!!
SandeeAR 07:24 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I'd love to see a pic of this set up. I am trying to figure out what to do with my entryway to make it more parent friendly for September!!
I'll try. The last two times I've tried to post pics, it wouldn't post them
SandeeAR 07:33 AM 07-06-2011
WooHoo! I think it uploaded!

I don't need cubbies, etc. I only take babies up to 4 years old. So no book bags etc. Just shoes, pacifers, notes, head bands, etc.
Attached: DSC06864.jpg (95.2 KB) 
Crazy8 08:00 AM 07-06-2011

I don't need cubbies, etc. I only take babies up to 4 years old. So no book bags etc. Just shoes, pacifers, notes, head bands, etc.
I love it!! I am trying to do my entry with "grown up" stuff that can still be used for daycare - so that type of rack would be perfect!!

Right now I just throw their daily sheets and any crafts done into the kids bags - since they bring lunch they all bring either a backpack, lunch tote, diaper bag or something.
SandeeAR 08:06 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I love it!! I am trying to do my entry with "grown up" stuff that can still be used for daycare - so that type of rack would be perfect!!

Right now I just throw their daily sheets and any crafts done into the kids bags - since they bring lunch they all bring either a backpack, lunch tote, diaper bag or something.
My toy bins are black file type boxes from office supply. Yes my den is always full of toys, but it helps the look some. Plus I can easily pick them up and take them to the nap room and have my den back in about 10 min.

The bags on the rack can also go to the name room and instant, Adult room!

Btw, I found the rack about 3 months ago at Hobby Lobby. I got it on half price for either $8 or $9.
SilverSabre25 08:12 AM 07-06-2011

Oh, I love the bags! I already have a rack with 6 hooks; I'd been trying to find a solution that would work for shoes, etc, too. I had thought of bins or something but they don't fit very well in my entryway (split level entry, so there's not much space). The bags will be perfect!
meganlavonnesmommy 11:04 AM 07-06-2011
I have an "art wall" that i hang their projects on. Parents are informed when they interview that they can take their childs projects home with them, or leave them here, whichever they choose.

The wall is right in the entryway where parents walk in and sign in and out for the day. The kids are always excited to show the parents what they did. Sometimes the parents take it with them, most of the time they dont.

But then it stays on my wall and is a colorful and fun decoration.

Right now we have bright yellow handprint suns, last week we had red, white and blue firework pictures we made.

If the parents dont take the projects home I just throw them away.
SandeeAR 11:49 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Oh, I love the bags! I already have a rack with 6 hooks; I'd been trying to find a solution that would work for shoes, etc, too. I had thought of bins or something but they don't fit very well in my entryway (split level entry, so there's not much space). The bags will be perfect!
Since I only take 4 and under, they are small enough to fit in the bags LOL. I have them arranged from "oldest in" to "latest in". The name tags are a big help to parents.
Sugar Magnolia 11:53 AM 07-06-2011
Every child takes home something they made every single day here. All kids do art work, even the little ones. Even if its just a coloring page, the kids take immense pride in showing parents what they made every day. Let me add, I do this for the kids, to build self esteem, the parents mostly don't care. Everybody 3 and over also takes home a school readiness activity (connect the dots, trace letters, counting sheets, matching worksheet, etc) at least 3 times a week. I used to do a folder for these activities seperately, but like you, I found the parents honestly don't care, most of the time.
SandeeAR 11:58 AM 07-06-2011
Sorry, Didn't mean to hijack the thread with the info about the hook and bags!
Tags:art activites, storage
Reply Up