Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Contracts
BigLittleHomeDaycare 07:55 AM 07-16-2014
Part time daycare is in demand in my area. But having a hard time managing it for the interest of my business. Meaning, its a hectic schedule and I don't know which days I will work some weeks if at all. And if I will get paid.

My idea was to require parents to contract with me a minimum amount of days per week that must be paid for if the child attends or not. If they needed more days that particular week, then they would just add that on.

Is this confusing?

So if I know my parent who is a registry nurse works 2 days a week but may take on another day, I would make the contract for two days per week at my daily rate, regardless if the child attends, and then any additional days that week can be added.

I was a working mom and would have loved something like this. I do know several people in my area only charge if you show up to daycare, but I need a consistent source of income. And several don't even take part time kids.
Angelsj 08:12 AM 07-16-2014
I charge hourly and only if they are here. It took a while to get a reasonable amount of children to make this work, though. And it can be feast or famine from time to time. Yesterday I had seven all day. Today I only have three. Some days I am full with my allowed 10.

A lot of ladies here do exactly as you are proposing. Contract for a certain number of days regardless of attendance, then add an extra day at drop off rate for needed extras. If your drop off rate is higher, you give those using that extra day fairly often incentive to contract it.
I think BlackCat has a chart for part time, as well as earlier and later pickups.
MarinaVanessa 09:38 AM 07-16-2014
Nope not confusing.

Here's how I handle PTers and how I explain it to parents.

PT:
My PT rates are similar to Nan's and BC's rate schedule where I have a minimum amount per day ($28/day for 3pm pick ups) and add an additional $2 per extra half hour that they need. I figure the cost of each day they need and add the cost together and this becomes their scheduled hours and the fee they pay every week. If they need extra time or an additional day and I can accommodate it then I add that extra time to their invoice, if they don't come some days or drop off later or pick up earlier they still pay the same rate.

I personally don't like schedules that change so I charge FT for those clients ($165/wk)and they are required to give me a schedule 2 weeks in advance but can't drop off before 8am or pick up later than 6pm. If they need a 7am-8am drop off some days or can't give me a schedule 2 weeks in advance (which I really don't like) I make it worth my while and charge what I would charge if someone was here from open to close ($185/week). This is the only way I will guarantee that I will leave a FT spot open for them. I won't do it otherwise so either they pay the rate or they go somewhere else and either way is ok with me.
BigLittleHomeDaycare 01:01 PM 08-08-2014
Thanks for the replies - so far part time is all that has been calling me. I just finally got a full time client yesterday. I try to serve the need of the community but its getting hard to manage all the part timers and get paid enough.
MarinaVanessa 01:32 PM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by BigLittleHomeDaycare:
Thanks for the replies - so far part time is all that has been calling me. I just finally got a full time client yesterday. I try to serve the need of the community but its getting hard to manage all the part timers and get paid enough.
And now you know why there's a high demand for PT and why not a lot of providers offer it
Crazy8 03:18 PM 08-08-2014
I offer part time on a set schedule only - they contract the days they need each week. I charge more per day for pt than for full time so I can actually make MORE money if I fill with all part timers, even with a few spaces in there, than I do with all full timers. I require a minimum of 2 days per week, set days. If they want additional days they can either contract it or risk it not being available when they need it.
nannyde 03:31 PM 08-08-2014
For MANY years I specialized in part time schedules for day shift clients because it was the highest money maker for the business. I was trying to adopt and it was crazy expensive. It's hard but the money is great.

I switched to full time because it's so much easier once my kid was born.

Go for it. You will work for your money but if you can hack it you will come ahead.
Blackcat31 04:32 PM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by BigLittleHomeDaycare:

If you need helping figuring how to set up your part time rate methods so that you can maximize your income with part time kids (as there is obviously a need for part time care in your area) call the lady below.

She does consulting for providers. She is inexpensive (cost wise) yet invaluable (info/ education wise)

Seriously, PM her your contact info and she'll do a consult call with you if you want.

There is another thread on the board right now from a happy provider talking about how much Nan helped her figure this same issue out. (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72855)

Originally Posted by nannyde:
For MANY years I specialized in part time schedules for day shift clients because it was the highest money maker for the business. I was trying to adopt and it was crazy expensive. It's hard but the money is great.

I switched to full time because it's so much easier once my kid was born.

Go for it. You will work for your money but if you can hack it you will come ahead.

Tags:contracts, part time
Reply Up