Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First termination, hopefully my last
LadyK8 07:25 AM 08-01-2014
For those of you who were in my last thread, you already know who I'm terminating.

DCM never renewed the contract, so immediate termination it is. I just have no idea how to word it.
Scribbles 07:28 AM 08-01-2014
Can you just do a generic term letter and state the reason for termination is failure to provide requested documents within the required timeline?
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 08-01-2014
I agree, I would write up a letter simply stating that your agreement for care services is terminated for failure to return requested paperwork.

Give last date of service (unless termination is immediate) and leave it at that.
AmyKidsCo 09:07 AM 08-01-2014
Or say even less:

This note is to let you know that I will not be able to offer my child care services to _____(child’s name) ____ effective _____(date)_____. I will continue to provide my regular child care services until this date. According to our written contract, you are required to pay for my services up until this date, whether or not your child is present.

(From Tom Copelands blog)
coolconfidentme 09:14 AM 08-01-2014
I created a termination form. (cut/paste below)

Termination Notice
Date_______________________________.
Dear __________________________________________________________________________________________,
Please accept this letter as notice of termination of care for;
_______________________________________________________________________________________________.
Care is terminated effective _____________________________.

Reason Given:
[ ] Violation of contract or parent handbook.
[ ] Parent/Provider Differences
[ ] Child Behavior
[ ] Other ____________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________.
Notice Given
[ ] As per our contract agreement, I am ending services per gross misconduct. This is grounds for immediate discontinuation of service.

[ ] As per our contract agreement, I am providing a two week notice. The last day of our contract will be ____________. If you settle your account in 10 business days your fees due are _________________. This amount is for service fees only. Failure to pay in a timely manner will result in contractual & policy fees requested in small claims court as well.
Please note the policy that you signed/agreed to adhere to states; In cases of non-payment, legal action may be taken, and the individuals will pay all legal fees and other charges incurred.

I wish you and your family all the best.
LadyK8 11:36 AM 08-01-2014
Termination is effective immediately.

Thanks to you all!
LadyK8 12:18 PM 08-01-2014
Okay, so I sent it and she keeps calling me.

She left a message and lied and said that I told her we could do a verbal agreement, since she clearly didn't feel like going to the library and printing off the handbook or e-signing.

I would never tell her that. I'm not the verbal agreement type. I do not want to call her back.
hope 03:19 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by LadyK8:

She left a message and lied and said that I told her we could do a verbal agreement, since she clearly didn't feel like going to the library and printing off the handbook or e-signing.

I would never tell her that. I'm not the verbal agreement type. I do not want to call her back.
I would reply that there is nothing further to discuss. You and she know what has happened. Discussing it will get you no where.
MarinaVanessa 03:46 PM 08-01-2014

Do you want to keep her as a client?

I would respond with something along the lines of ...

"I heard your message and I'm not sure where you could have misinterpreted something I said. I would never agree to have a client without a written contract. I emailed you the forms and gave a deadline to have the new contract turned in by and that date has passed so our previous contract is now not valid. I won't honor an oral agreement, it leaves too much to misinterpretation like the issue we are having right now. It seems to me that you are needing a different type of arrangement so maybe it is better that you look for a place that can accommodate your needs."

Either one of two things will happen. a) she will go on her merry way or b) she will hound you and try to wiggle her way back into your care.

If you are willing to accept her back you can take this opportunity to continue the conversation above with "I have policies and a contract for a reason and I expect my clients to follow them. If you think that you can agree to follow all of my policies then maybe we can work something out. Are you sure that you agree with the way that I conduct my business?"

If you don't want her to stay then end it with ... "You didn't turn in your paperwork like I required so I took that as if you were canceling our agreement. And now after realizing that you were confused somehow with something I said and somehow misconstrued something to mean something that I would never say I really think that communication between us just isn't working and feel like you would be better off at different daycare anyway".
MotherNature 05:27 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

"I heard your message and I'm not sure where you could have misinterpreted something I said. I would never agree to have a client without a written contract. I emailed you the forms and gave a deadline to have the new contract turned in by and that date has passed so our previous contract is now not valid. I won't honor an oral agreement, it leaves too much to misinterpretation like the issue we are having right now. It seems to me that you are needing a different type of arrangement so maybe it is better that you look for a place that can accommodate your needs."

Either one of two things will happen. a) she will go on her merry way or b) she will hound you and try to wiggle her way back into your care.

If you are willing to accept her back you can take this opportunity to continue the conversation above with "I have policies and a contract for a reason and I expect my clients to follow them. If you think that you can agree to follow all of my policies then maybe we can work something out. Are you sure that you agree with the way that I conduct my business?"

If you don't want her to stay then end it with ... "You didn't turn in your paperwork like I required so I took that as if you were canceling our agreement. And now after realizing that you were confused somehow with something I said and somehow misconstrued something to mean something that I would never say I really think that communication between us just isn't working and feel like you would be better off at different daycare anyway".
That sounds amazing. Well put!
Papa 06:52 PM 08-01-2014
We have ran into this also. My best answer to the client would be, sorry the spot has been filled. Sometimes I feel like even though I love the dc child it is not worth the headache to deal with a pain in the rear parent
Blackcat31 07:34 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by Papa:
We have ran into this also. My best answer to the client would be, sorry the spot has been filled. Sometimes I feel like even though I love the dc child it is not worth the headache to deal with a pain in the rear parent
That is so true!
LadyK8 08:41 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

I did just that. Haven't gotten a response, and I'm happy about it. I do not want her back as a client.

I will miss her child, but it's sad how parents can ruin things for them.

Thank you very much! This was a great response.
LadyK8 08:42 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by Papa:
This is so true. As much as I love her daughter, I just can't deal with the mother anymore.
MOM OF 4 02:20 PM 08-02-2014
For those of you who were in my last thread, you already know who I'm terminating.

DCM never renewed the contract, so immediate termination it is. I just have no idea how to word it.
Dear Non-renewing Day Care Mom,

Effective immediately, care for little snowflake Suzie will not be provided as the new contract has not been signed by you by (date I gave you to sign by!) as indicated in our previous discussion. No refunds will be given.

Thank you,
Tired of your ****, Provider
Reply Up