Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
sharlan 11:10 AM 08-14-2018
Ok, my standard procedure for potty training has always been to put the child in regular underwear (never, ever used pull ups) and take them to the bathroom every 1/2 hour or so. Diapers for nap time. I also gave M&Ms for incentives.

That's always worked for me for the past 39 years.

What's the simplest method used today? I've got 2 I'm going to do at once. Dcg is 2y9m, dcb is 2y6m. Dcg is fairly verbal, dcb is not too verbal. Both parents will follow my lead.
LittleScholars 11:22 AM 08-14-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Ok, my standard procedure for potty training has always been to put the child in regular underwear (never, ever used pull ups) and take them to the bathroom every 1/2 hour or so. Diapers for nap time. I also gave M&Ms for incentives.

That's always worked for me for the past 39 years.

What's the simplest method used today? I've got 2 I'm going to do at once. Dcg is 2y9m, dcb is 2y6m. Dcg is fairly verbal, dcb is not too verbal. Both parents will follow my lead.
You're my hero. I couldn't do every 30 minutes!

When I feel a kiddo is ready, this is what works for us:
-start out wearing a diaper taped at the sides for easy up and down. We go just a bit more than what our normal schedule requires. During this time kids are often wet, but they start learning to hold it and learn the routine (getting on and off potty, pulling up and down clothes, etc.)

-Once they are solid with the routine I increase frequency (otherwise I'd really be doing all of the work), and once they show they can stay dry they move to pull ups. I do this to save the parents a bit of money and to avoid overfilled pull ups that explode.

-Once kiddos are accident free here for two weeks and are communicating when they need to go (no more frequently scheduled breaks) they get to try undies. If they have an accident they start over.

-For rewards, your first big successes get you a prize from the prize bin. After that, you get points for meeting whatever goal you are currently working on (ranging from going one time on potty to staying dry all day) and 10=prize bin.

I tend to start kids pretty early, but since the bulk of the work is on them, I feel like they own it or they don't. Generally, they do and they are trained here earlier than they are trained at home, which is great for us.

I generally use a pull up for nap for quite awhile before I let kiddos wear undies at that time.
MarinaVanessa 11:33 AM 08-14-2018
What works for me is to have the parents focus on potty training at home until they are successful with no accidents for the whole weekend and diaper free.

Then here they use undies under a diaper. I remind them to go to the potty and offer my support but the child must do most of the work (undress, dress etc). I will help remind, wipe, congratulate, wash hands etc.

If they stay dry (accident-free) the whole week we won't use a diaper or cover the next week. If they have an accident the following week then the diaper/cover goes back on and we start again.

When a child is truly ready it only takes a weekend/3 days tops ... and personally, I feel like that's a parenting responsibility, I'm here to support their effort.

IMO a child that needs to be taken every 20/30/45/60 minutes isn't ready, it means they haven't figured out how to recognize their body's cues that they have to go to the bathroom.
Unregistered 08:48 PM 09-02-2018
Hi, I am a member but have not been on for awhile and could not remember my password,tried to get a new password to sign in and it was not letting me get a new password,tried 3x's,got no where so decided to just go unregistered for now.
Anyway want to reply about potty training. My policy is that the parent starts at home to train,when they seem like it is going pretty good at home then I start here trying to follow what they do at home so not to confuse the child. BUT...I insist that the child wear pull ups until they have been dry here for 2 weeks,no accidents and can tell me when they need to go potty. If dry for 2 weeks then they can start with underwear.I have had in the past where parents have just gone to underwear thinking that if the child gets wet it will make them potty train faster,but then my furniture and carpet gets ruined by the child when they have a accident which I can not afford to buy new furniture because the child peed or pooped on. If parents want to do that at their home that is up to them but my home they need to respect my home. I have had parents try to tell me that they let their child go diaper less at home so if they pee on the floor it will help them train faster and they want me to do that here....Sorry no way,not going to ruin my floors,.....are they going to pay for a new floor for me cuz their child peed all over...NO. So that is what I do, if it helps any.
Tags:potty training, potty training policy
Reply Up