Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Words From Different Areas
BentleysBands 12:19 PM 10-19-2010
as someone had posted somewhere else using 'sweeper' (i say vacuum)...just curious as to different words ppl use. im in Va

sweeper = vacuum
washer= ive heard waRsher up north
coke/pepsi = i've heard POP
tenderhearts 12:45 PM 10-19-2010
I moved from Ohio when I was a child and in ohio we'd say bad instead of sack, supper instead of dinner, sweeper instead of vacuum. I still say supper most of the time and bad, I never say sweep or sack
MommyMuffin 12:49 PM 10-19-2010
I've never heard a vaccum called a sweeper. When I say sweeper I mean swiffer sweeper.
QualiTcare 12:59 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I've never heard a vaccum called a sweeper. When I say sweeper I mean swiffer sweeper.
that's what i was thinking
MN Mom 01:07 PM 10-19-2010
I use pop instead of coke or pepsi, dinner (12noon meal), and supper (6pm meal).

I'm sure there are some other quirky things I say, being I'm from MN.

I'd be willing to bet they aren't really words though...more like sounds, eh!

*edit Husband just reminded me of a couple.

We say Hot dish, rather than casserole. Salad = Jello with fruit in it.
Brookers 01:10 PM 10-19-2010
Yeah, I mean swiffer "sweeper" too. But I live in Idaho and oringinally from San Diego, Ca and when I moved here I was all "dude!" and "man!", "Totally" and "Soda". They said "no sir" and "Pop" LOL I was all HUH!?!?!
AfterSchoolMom 01:14 PM 10-19-2010
I say soda, vaccuum, and dinner (the evening meal).

I'm from the south, and I say "totally" and "dude" all the time (people make fun of me for it sometimes, lol). I also say "ya'll".

How about the thing you push at the grocery store? I say "cart", but I've heard "basket" and "buggy".
kendallina 01:36 PM 10-19-2010
I say:

vacuum
dinner
pop
cart or grocery cart here

I just heard someone say 'sweeper' today and it took me a second to realize what she was talking about. I'm from Michigan originally, living in southern Ohio now.
missnikki 02:09 PM 10-19-2010
How about
"The laundry needs done." versus "The laundry needs to be done."

"Can I taste of your pie?" versus "Can I have a taste of your pie?"

Fixin' to, reckon, and driving at are things I've never done.

For me, it's breakfast, lunch, dinner in that order, and maybe with a soda.

I sit on the couch, not the 'sofa'. I keep my food in the fridge, not the 'cooler' or the 'frigidaire'.

My daughter wants to date, or 'go out with' a guy which has nothing to do with going anywhere- it's just dating= going out with.

I guess that's why I'm not 'cool', I'm 'totally lame-o.'
melskids 02:15 PM 10-19-2010
i used to work at an ice cream shop, and a man visiting from the south asked for "jimmies" on his cone. took me a minute to realize he wanted sprinkles...lol
melissa ann 02:28 PM 10-19-2010
Let' see:
Supper for the evening meal.
Mon-Sat noon meal is lunch, Sunday it's dinner.
Vacum
This was just brought to my attention. When we are out of something, we say, it's all. Meaning empty.
outin' the light (turn off the lights)
making wet out (it's raining)
I'm in PA dutch country.
Lucy 04:42 PM 10-19-2010
Originally from SoCal where we said soda. Moved to the Pac NW where they say pop.

Had a friend from Canada who called a rubber band an elastic, and would say Grade 1, Grade 2, etc. instead of 1st grade, 2nd grade, etc.

The one that drive me batty is my husband and his family (all native to the Pac NW) saying CRICK instead of creek. Ugh.
AfterSchoolMom 05:12 PM 10-19-2010
Oh yeah, I forgot one...

If someone asks me where someone/something is, sometimes I point and say "over yonder".
Lucy 06:17 PM 10-19-2010
Some say "put up", as in putting something away. Like you'd tell your kid to "put up your toys". They also use it for canning. "I put up 20 quarts of green beans."

I say "put away", and "canned". The other ways sound hick to me. No offense!!
momofsix 06:43 PM 10-19-2010
We have so many different words just in our immediate family b/c my husband and I are from different cultures. When i first heard "Can you HIT the lights?" I was like WHAAAT am i supposed to hit the light for???
QualiTcare 09:38 PM 10-19-2010
i'm from tennessee.

POP makes me cringe! i hate "soda" too!

we say "coke" for coke, "mountain dew" for mt. dew, "dr pepper" for dr. pepper. i think that's one misconception people have. we don't call all drinks "coke" but we do call them by their name.

joyce, i say put up instead of put away! i even say, "stop! i'm not puttin up with it!"

i have an ex bf from new york and he thought it was weird when i said "where you at?" or "you're making me mad"

i don't know if other ppl find that strange? i never understood why he did.

jeff foxworthy is great - "YANT to?" or "hey d'yeat yet?"

as in - we're going to a movie, do u want to (YANT to)? or did you eat yet (d'yeat yet)?

english is my strong point and i'm great at telling kids that "aint" isn't a word, but i say it! at home, people ask me if i'm from here bc i try to use proper english (unless i'm around family and really "get ta goin", but if i visit family in new jersey, they find my dialect hysterical.
MommyMuffin 06:17 AM 10-20-2010
I wish I was from the south I always have! I love the way they talk. They can say anything and it sounds so sweet! I'm from mn and I think we have such a boring dialect..(sp?)
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:09 AM 10-20-2010
I say all kinds of things, being a transplant from lousiana via missouri to indiana. lol.

I "fix to do" alot of things, I shut the lights off, use hanGers to put my clothes on. I use a pilloW, not a pilla, I use a woosher not a washer. I dont put macaroni in my chili, I do put yellow food coloring in my homemade noodles. I drink water, my husband drinks pop, coke, or soda whichecver comes out,.. I broom the tile and sweep the carpet. I put fuel in my truck and gas in my van. I have been known to jerk a knot in my childrens tails, I use dusting stuff not furniture polish, Kleenexes and qtips. Toilet paper, not tissue. I go home, not back to the house, I use a leash not a lish to restrain my dog. My husband has a few 'isms' that he picked up here and there,... He thinks things are really cool,.. and says,.. Well thats slicker than a minners weiner, He says Mac Donalds, Cheery (cherry) pie, and punkin not pumpkin. He somehow pronounces my name with two seperate sylables (Jill) and it sounds so sweet. We have do'ors, winders, and flo'ors. We color with Cray'ons, and use baskets for our laundry, not hampers.
melissa ann 04:13 AM 10-21-2010
Yes, we say crick instead of creek, over yonder or down the road apiece.
How about this? Throw the cow over the fence some hay. Meaning throw some hay over the fence for the cow. I've heard the Amish say that.
Unregistered 05:25 AM 10-21-2010
LOL I love this I lived in MD now i live in NC and have a friend from OH. and a friend from Il. and my husbands family is in AL.

Soda-MD, Pop- IL, Ohio, Coke-AL.,NC
Creek-MD, crick-OH.
Going to the store-MD, Going down yonder to the store-AL.,
Im going to the store-MD, Im fixin to go to the store-AL,NC.

Oh there is SOOOOO many more
MN Mom 06:22 AM 10-21-2010
I love this thread!

One thing many folks around here say, which drive my husband's family nuts (and they grew up here), is : I'm going to run over to _________ really quick. This means: I'm going to hop in the car, drive to _______ and will be back shortly.

I have a terrible habit of using this saying. It comes natural to me. FIL always says: "Really!! You're going to RUN? Don't you think that's a bit far to run?"
marniewon 06:35 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
I love this thread!

One thing many folks around here say, which drive my husband's family nuts (and they grew up here), is : I'm going to run over to _________ really quick. This means: I'm going to hop in the car, drive to _______ and will be back shortly.

I have a terrible habit of using this saying. It comes natural to me. FIL always says: "Really!! You're going to RUN? Don't you think that's a bit far to run?"
LOL - I say the same thing. "I'm going to run to the store, be back in a sec". Dh always asks if it wouldn't be faster to take the van.

My dh says "crick" for creek, and chimley for chimney. Must be a redneck thing....LOL (I'm always teasing him about being a redneck).

I say pop, washer, vacuum, grocery cart (or just cart). Dinner and supper are interchangeable and both mean the evening meal.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 10:47 AM 10-23-2010
hi
Im from Ct. Ive been told we talk very fast. And we talk not speak. We are also told we have an italian american accent on the east coast even if you aren't. We seem to try to cram as many words as possible into one. One example is the imfamous " forgetaboutit" then theres
whatchadoin instead of what are you doing
getoutahere instead of get out of here
whatsfurdinna instead of whats for dinner

we speak heavy on the au, and a
like:
sawce instead of sauce
tawk instead of talk
cawl instead of call

breakfast, lunch and dinner
if your going out to a restaurant we call it " going out to eat"

if you say dude we will giggle and ask if you mean dat guy ovadere( over there)
girls are girls, ladies and chicks
pizza is apizza pronounced abeets
mozzarella is moots
ricotta is ricaught
pasta is macoroni unless your getting fancy then we will say pasta salad or primavera
a grinder is a sub
soda is soda but some of the old timers still say soder
we always grill never barbeque
no matter where we go its all " goin out" and if we dont, we are "stayin home"
lol
great fun, i can do this for hours!
Tags:slang
Reply Up