Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm I Expecting Too Much??
WImom 11:52 AM 03-07-2012
I'm very annoyed with my newest dc family. All my DC kids bring a small bag/backpack to keep their lovey's, gloves, hats, projects, notes home, etc. I'm rarely asking parents twice for things.

I run my home daycare like a preschool and most of my parents call my home a school. I've never had this problem before so I'm not sure if it's just annoying me so much because I'm set in my ways or if it's because they are the only ones doing this. They are also my first family to do a 1/2 day schedule as well.

First - this child only comes 1/2 days Tues/Thurs and all day Wed. She comes on the 1/2 days right before we go outside. Mom never comes with her in snow pants or boots but takes off her jacket and then put the snow pants on, boots on etc once here so we have to wait. (I need her to leave before we go out so I can lock the door). Now she is coming from 'preschool' 2 minutes away so not sure why mom can't just put this stuff on there. (that would make more sense to me anyways). I've also asked her to wash DCG ratty gloves because they stink from getting wet from snow! (They are the thin glove ones - another *** getting those on every day). They have yet to be washed or they have been washed but still stink?

2nd - she keeps coming with no bag. Was coming with a plastic bag (which has papers and notes from in it for over a week) I told her no more plastic bag. I didn't want that in my DC and suggested a reusable grocery bag. That came one day and now the last two days no bag. DC brings in a sippy and blanket and stuffed animal but no bag so It's laying on my bench. I've also asked for a back up pair of pants twice. I'm sending home my last notice on this one before she's turned away at the door until I have a pair. (DC is very messy and spills all the time).

3rd - This DCG has had 3-4 colds since starting here in Jan. Doesn't cover her mouth, sneezes every where. I'm sick of wiping thick yellow snot all day from her. I can't get her to cover since she's not here enough. (ALL other kids here cover 80% of the time).

I feel like I'm just a babysitter to her, she just wants to know if DCG napped. Doesn't seem to care what we did for the day. DC girl also has been with me since Jan. and every Wednesday (her only full day) feels like her first day. Doesn't follow rules or know them. It's driving me nuts. (The 1/2 days are mostly just lunch/nap so I don't notice it as much). In summer she'll be here three days all day so not sure if it will get better or worse.

I have one full timer on my waiting list and I'm thinking of waiting until the end of March and if things don't improve telling her this isn't working. I'm also worried about the 'grass is greener' issue. This full timer could be just as bad and I'd have that 5 days a week...lol. I just dread my Wednesday now!!
renodeb 12:08 PM 03-07-2012
I think you happened to get one of those parents that just doesnt get it. They should know that you run your dc as a school from the get go. Do you have a trial period? A fter may just be the thing. Atleast there would be a routine then. I would love to here what you decide to do.
I think it may be a little of both, they probably standout to you b/c they arent following the routine and you are used to a certain routine which the others are following.
Debbie
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 03-07-2012
I think you are right about how this mom views you. I think that you are also on track with what you should do to remedy the situation....

I say give it your best shot (with reminders and turning away at door if necessary) until the end of March and if there is no change on her part, then make your move to use your wait list kid.
daycare 12:36 PM 03-07-2012
I agree, this mom sees you as a babysitter.

Communication is key. Talk with the mom and tell her. DCP I run my daycare just like a preschool and I do it alone. In order for me to make our day run smoothly here, I need for everyone to get on board with all of the rules and polices. Lately, I have not been getting the necessary supplies from you for your child. Please let me know how I can help you, so that we can all be on the same page.

I always try to explain and then throw it back on them... I have a DCP like this right now too and it really gets my goat.
SimpleMom 12:40 PM 03-07-2012
I agree...communication is key. If it's bothering you, talk to them and make sure they know the boundaries and expectations. If they have a problem with it they will go elsewhere, either way you will feel better in the end.

Just stay firm and on task with the family. It can be uncomfortable to confront, but it's worse on you if you don't kwim?
WImom 01:04 PM 03-07-2012
Thanks everyone. I will have to 'try' and talk to her. She is usually in and out in 1 minute. Drops off and leaves or quickly gets DCG ready and out the door. She's always in a rush it seems. I may just try and email her if I don't get a chance tonight to talk.
daycare 01:17 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
Thanks everyone. I will have to 'try' and talk to her. She is usually in and out in 1 minute. Drops off and leaves or quickly gets DCG ready and out the door. She's always in a rush it seems. I may just try and email her if I don't get a chance tonight to talk.
I have a DCP that every day it is something else...the worst part is that this mother is a director of an SA program.....SHe of all people should know better.....

I just keep putting my foot down until eventually she gets it or gets going to another DC...

Keep your chin up. It could be that the parent does not understand how much it bothers you.
Reply Up