Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When All DCK Wake Up Early From Nap
ABCDaycareMN 01:43 PM 04-23-2013
All kids woke up an hour early today from nap. It has thrown off our whole afternoon. All they wanted was snack. And I wasn't going to give it early. These kids don't free play much and it's too wet to go outside today.

Just wondering what YOU do when your dck wake up earlier than expected.
Oneluckymom 01:46 PM 04-23-2013
They usually stay on their bed and lay quietly and read a book. Mine know this unless the lights are on then they know they can get up.
DaisyMamma 01:48 PM 04-23-2013
I usually don't let them get up either, but today I did and they too wanted snack. I told them not yet, wait for the big kids. They've been crabby since they got up.
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 04-23-2013
I call my nap period "rest time".

That way it really doesn't matter if the kids are awake or not.

They simply need to rest. When rest time is over, I invite them to get up and put their mats/pillows away.

Rest time is always the same time so even if they all slept and woke up early no one can get up until rest time is over.

FWIW~ My rest time is only 90 minutes so no one is being made to lie down for hours on end.
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I usually don't let them get up either, but today I did and they too wanted snack. I told them not yet, wait for the big kids. They've been crabby since they got up.
We have pictures next to the clock that show what the clock should look like when it's snack time, lunch time, outside time etc....

The kids don't have to ever ask what time it is or when snack is as they can look and see for themselves.
LK5kids 02:16 PM 04-23-2013
My state regs require kids to be allowed to get up after not falling asleep in 1/2 hour. I don't think it states if they wake up early....but I suppose it's the same!
Lavender 02:28 PM 04-23-2013
We have laws about how long a child can be left laying awake in a crib or on a mat/cot after waking so when our kids wake up they get up within 15 min no matter how early it is. I try to offer quiet activities so the other kids don't get woken up, but since I work with the older infants they are all soon woken once one is up and making noise.
LaLa1923 03:59 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
All kids woke up an hour early today from nap. It has thrown off our whole afternoon. All they wanted was snack. And I wasn't going to give it early. These kids don't free play much and it's too wet to go outside today.

Just wondering what YOU do when your dck wake up earlier than expected.
They can get up when nap is over
Unregistered 04:03 PM 04-23-2013
Pray they go back to sleep.
DaisyMamma 04:09 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
My state regs require kids to be allowed to get up after not falling asleep in 1/2 hour. I don't think it states if they wake up early....but I suppose it's the same!
That's awful
dEHmom 06:50 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Pray they go back to sleep.

Play Care 03:02 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
In my state the children have to be allowed up after a 1/2 hour. So if the children woke up one hour early, I would probably keep them on the mat another 1/2 hour and then allow them up to stay within the reg.

The OP said all the kids woke up hungry for snack - did they not eat enough at lunch?
nannyde 03:49 AM 04-24-2013
I sure wouldn't end nap time. I do nap for me not the kids.

My kids sleep through nap every day. That happens in large part because I DON'T end nap because one or more woke up.
MissAnn 03:55 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

My kids sleep through nap every day. That happens in large part because I DON'T end nap because one or more woke up.
Yep! My kids don't utter a peep if they wake up. They just know they can't get up. I do let them have books by their bed and they can read them.
bunnyslippers 05:02 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I agree. Nap is non-negotiable.
MamaBearCanada 05:38 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have pictures next to the clock that show what the clock should look like when it's snack time, lunch time, outside time etc....

The kids don't have to ever ask what time it is or when snack is as they can look and see for themselves.
Love this idea! I'm going to make some
KnoxMom 05:45 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Awesome idea! So snatching this one
Reply Up