Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poopy
Unregistered 07:59 AM 09-29-2016
I have a child who is in diapers almost two who's mom believes she needs to poop every day she gives her miralax and I end up getting to change the runny up the back poop explosions. I am done with it! How would you handle this situation? Tell mom if
Dcg is on miralax she can't come to daycare? Need to know how to tell here no more nicely. It's hard to be nice when she is crapping on me! Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a child who is in diapers almost two who's mom believes she needs to poop every day she gives her miralax and I end up getting to change the runny up the back poop explosions. I am done with it! How would you handle this situation? Tell mom if
Dcg is on miralax she can't come to daycare? Need to know how to tell here no more nicely. It's hard to be nice when she is crapping on me! Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Call mom when the child poops like that. Every time.

MOM gave the child Miralax so mom can deal with the mess.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 09-29-2016
So do I clean the child up and call mom? Or send her home in the poopy mess? I don't think I have the heart to send her away poopy it's after all not the child's fault.
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 09-29-2016
So do I clean the child up and call mom? Or send her home in the poopy mess? I don't think I have the heart to send her away poopy it's after all not the child's fault.
I'd enact the 24 hour symptom free rule then.

Child poops, you clean her up, call mom for pick up.

Child can not return until they have been diarrhea free for a full 24 hours.

Rinse and repeat.
I'd even exclude the second time for 48 hours.

After X number of incidences of being sent home, I'd require a Dr's note outlining child's issues and management plan.

If you believe mom is simply giving her child Miralax based on her own "diagnosis" then it's an easy game to play on your end.....

Exclude after a blow out
Request a Dr's note/diagnosis after X number of incidences

Mom will eventually get tired of having to pick up and may "re-think" her child's needs.

If you feel like being blunt with mom instead...just tell her to stop giving her kid Miralax on YOUR time.
Be prepared to term if she doesn't.
JackandJill 08:59 AM 09-29-2016
I agree, let the parents deal with the mess. I have had two children on Miralax daily, for intestinal blockages, and both sets of parents timed the administration of it so that I was not the one dealing with the mess.

Good luck!
MunchkinWrangler 09:00 AM 09-29-2016
What BC is saying is to make it the dcm's problem. Not yours.

I would also be very concerned that mom is just giving it because she wants to, why isn't the doctor involved in this.

It is very rough on a child's digestive system to be given Miralax every day. It's overboard. There are other ways to help children poop in a natural way. A good diet. This is lost on most people nowadays.
Pestle 09:03 AM 09-29-2016
I like it!

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell the difference between diarrhea from laxatives and diarrhea from illness, so I'm going to have to ask you to keep her at home when she's on the laxatives. If your doctor will write a note explaining that the diarrhea is acceptable and giving instructions to avoid dehydration, I will take her back again."

If the mom's willing to work with you, I'd write up a game plan that includes lots of greens and whole wheat/other sources of fiber, and sources of calcium and protein other than dairy. Cut out the dairy entirely for her while she's in your care. Some kids just have recurring constipation and you have to work around it like that.
LysesKids 09:46 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I like it!

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell the difference between diarrhea from laxatives and diarrhea from illness, so I'm going to have to ask you to keep her at home when she's on the laxatives. If your doctor will write a note explaining that the diarrhea is acceptable and giving instructions to avoid dehydration, I will take her back again."

If the mom's willing to work with you, I'd write up a game plan that includes lots of greens and whole wheat/other sources of fiber, and sources of calcium and protein other than dairy. Cut out the dairy entirely for her while she's in your care. Some kids just have recurring constipation and you have to work around it like that.
I personally wouldn't take a diarrhea kid regardless of getting a Dr's note... it's a sanitation issue and with 4 babies, I had enough issues this past week due to that crappy stomach virus that hit here to not want to deal with a blow out that could soil my carpet and chairs if it seeps thru the edges of the diapers.
daycarediva 09:53 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd enact the 24 hour symptom free rule then.

Child poops, you clean her up, call mom for pick up.

Child can not return until they have been diarrhea free for a full 24 hours.

Rinse and repeat.
I'd even exclude the second time for 48 hours.

After X number of incidences of being sent home, I'd require a Dr's note outlining child's issues and management plan.

If you believe mom is simply giving her child Miralax based on her own "diagnosis" then it's an easy game to play on your end.....

Exclude after a blow out
Request a Dr's note/diagnosis after X number of incidences

Mom will eventually get tired of having to pick up and may "re-think" her child's needs.

If you feel like being blunt with mom instead...just tell her to stop giving her kid Miralax on YOUR time.
Be prepared to term if she doesn't.

don't care WHY they're exploding out of their diapers, I send home and they stay home for 24 hours.
Pestle 10:30 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I personally wouldn't take a diarrhea kid regardless of getting a Dr's note... it's a sanitation issue and with 4 babies, I had enough issues this past week due to that crappy stomach virus that hit here to not want to deal with a blow out that could soil my carpet and chairs if it seeps thru the edges of the diapers.
I was thinking of it as a passive-aggressive way of addressing that the mom is administering medication that's damaging her child's health . . . how about, "if you provide a doctor's note stating that the diarrhea is acceptable and giving instructions on how to avoid dehydration, I'll work with you, but if the diapers continue to leak I'll have to ask you to come pick up when she has a bowel movement."
Blackcat31 10:39 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I was thinking of it as a passive-aggressive way of addressing that the mom is administering medication that's damaging her child's health . . . how about, "if you provide a doctor's note stating that the diarrhea is acceptable and giving instructions on how to avoid dehydration, I'll work with you, but if the diapers continue to leak I'll have to ask you to come pick up when she has a bowel movement."
don't underestimate a parent's ability to get their doctor to say anything they ask them to.
MunchkinWrangler 10:50 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
don't underestimate a parent's ability to get their doctor to say anything they ask them to.

Anytime I have needed a Dr.s note they have always asked me what they should say!
Rockgirl 10:51 AM 09-29-2016
There's no doctor's note that will convince me that diarrhea is acceptable for me to clean up every day!
Controlled Chaos 12:16 PM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
There's no doctor's note that will convince me that diarrhea is acceptable for me to clean up every day!

Reply Up