Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Charged in Unsafe Sleep Death
Cat Herder 03:33 PM 12-20-2018
COWETA COUNTY, Ga. - A Coweta County mother and her boyfriend are in jail after police say her 3-month-old son suffocated to death while asleep on his stomach in his crib.

Newnan police found the baby dead last Wednesday around 10 a.m. at a house on Spence Avenue.
Investigators say the baby slept on his stomach and suffocated because he couldn't raise his head from the plush pillow he slept on.

Kayla Henderson says the death of her nephew Cassius was not an innocent mistake. She says murder charges against her 23-year-old sister Elizabeth Norris and Norris’s boyfriend Adam Brady are justified.

“She got what she deserved,” Henderson said.

The family showed Channel 2’s Matt Johnson the fold-up crib they say the boy slept in and the long pillow they say the boyfriend put underneath him.

“It was really his idea because he claims the baby sleeps better on his stomach,” Henderson said.

Police filed second degree murder charges Monday because they say the couple knew the risks of leaving the baby on his stomach.

“They had total disregard to that and caused the death through placing the baby on his stomach on a plush pillow in the crib,” said Newnan police Deputy Chief Mark Cooper.

Norris' family says they became suspicious when they saw how the mother reacted.

“She was screaming but it was more forced, it was more rehearsed,” said brother-in-law Darius Ervin.

The coroner ruled Cassius died at around 4 a.m. that day. Police say the boyfriend called 911 six hours later. - https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/mot...eath/726223808
nannyde 03:43 PM 12-20-2018
Finally

Now it needs to extend to unsafe in swings, car seats, and without stuff in the bed or over the baby.
Cat Herder 03:44 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Finally

Now it needs to extend to unsafe in swings, car seats, and without stuff in the bed or over the baby.
Preach it.

I was finishing dishes and heading back to our room when I heard it on the news. I had to log back in just to share with those who would understand.
Ariana 05:13 PM 12-20-2018
Wow this is quite a precedent!
Blackcat31 07:58 PM 12-20-2018
Clearly the mom and her sister do not get along. 😬
Wonder if the sister ever called CPS on the mother before the baby died?
Cat Herder 05:06 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Clearly the mom and her sister do not get along. ��
Wonder if the sister ever called CPS on the mother before the baby died?
I saw an arrest history for the sister.

Full Name: Kayla Jessica Henderson
Date:01/29/2015
Arrest Age:22
Current Age: 25
#1 VGCSA SCH 1/2 NARCOTIC POSSESSION
#2 VGCSA SCH 1/2 NARCOTIC POSSESSION

And: September 23, 2017: 24 year old Kayla Jessica Henderson was arrested by Coweta County Police (Georgia) for simple battery. : Henderson, Kayla Jessica, 24 - battery simple, CCSO

I did not see anything for Elizabeth Norris. That does not mean it does not exist.
hwichlaz 02:55 PM 12-21-2018
sorry, but every typically developing 3 month old I know can stomach sleep....they roll just fine. The pillow was the problem.
Tags:article, death, safe sleep, suids
Reply Up