Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reporting Emergency Services to Licencor
LITTLESTARS 09:38 AM 02-18-2019
Hi so I will start off by saying I'm in the state of Massachusetts and I'm 7 months pregnant , last Thursday I had a near Syncopy and EMS services was called to my home which is my daycare address as well , I was with my full time assistant and 6 children at the time EMS took me away , per regulations I had to let my regional licensor know about the incident which I did. my full time leader assistant licensed for 10 was here with one infant and 5 over 2 years of age , this is the first time something happened , my question is well this bring me problems or a noncompliant with EEC .
e.j. 10:11 AM 02-18-2019
I don't work with an assistant and have never had to call EMS but it sounds to me as though you were in compliance. From what you've said, your assistant is licensed for 10 and the number of kids in her care was under that. It was an emergency situation; it wasn't as though you decided to leave the kids with her so you could go shopping. I'm in MA but since I've never worked with an assistant...can they continue to work without your supervision? If she can't, the only other thing you could have done was have her call parents to pick up asap.

If you've been cleared by your doctor to continue working, (get a note clearing you if you don't already have one) I would suggest sending an email to your licensor just to let her/him know all is ok and you're back to work. If there is anything your doctor suggested to do to avoid another episode, I'd also let your licensor know what you've put into place to avoid any further problems.

On a side note, I hope you're feeling better. My dd deals with syncope as a result of Lyme Disease. It can be scary, especially at first. Hopefully it was a one-time event for you.
LITTLESTARS 10:46 AM 02-18-2019
hi thank you I this is the regulations

Regulation Number
Group Size
Minimum Number of Educators Present
Limits on Ages of Children
606 CMR 7.10(4)(d) six or fewer children one educator
No more than three children younger than two years old, including at least one toddler who is walking independently. Additional children must be older than 24 months.
606 CMR 7.10(4)(e) seven or eight children one educator
No more than three children younger than two years old, including at least one toddler who is walking independently. Additional children must be older than 24 months. All children over capacity of six must be school age.
606 CMR 7.10(4)(f) six or fewer children two educators
No more than six children younger than two years old.
606 CMR 7.10(4)(g) seven – ten children two educators
No more than six children younger than two years old, including no more than three infants.
606 CMR 7.10(4)(h) seven-ten children three educators
No more than six infants. Additional children must be 15 months of age or older.

and yes thank the lord I was in regulation for this emergency and my assistant was able to stay with the kids, if I wasn't in compliance I would have called my emergency person that's 10 minutes away, also due to the time my parents were told verbally by assistant and by phone what was going on , I entered this incident in our LEAD portal to my licensor to review, I also attached the ER visit that resulted in me being very dehydrated and low blood pressure . I also have an emergency policy under emergency preparedness that I updated last year ill go and attached that .

thank you for your advice
e.j. 02:45 PM 02-18-2019
I found this in the regs about assistants:

(c) Assistants. All assistants must demonstrate the ability to implement the provider’s curriculum, activities and routines.
1. Certified Assistant.
a. An educator who meets the qualifications of the licensee may replace the licensee at any time, provided notice is given to parents in advance, in accordance with 606 CMR 7.08(8)(c).
b. An educator who meets the qualifications of a family child care educator licensed to serve six or fewer children may substitute for a provider licensed to care for up to ten children for up to 25 hours in a 12 month period.
2. Regular Assistant. An educator whose qualifications are neither equal to nor greater than the licensee’s qualifications may provide care under the general supervision of the licensee.
a. A regular assistant may be alone on the premises with up to six children for up to 25 hours in a 12 month period, or up to eight hours in a seven day period, provided s/he is currently certified in first aid and CPR.
b. In programs licensed to care for seven or more children, a regular assistant may provide care only under the supervision of a licensee or certified assistant.
Tags:accident report, assistants, eec, massachusetts member, massachusetts requirements
Reply Up