Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>not sure what to do
nikia 04:38 AM 12-27-2010
Well this week has not started out great. I have a family that is supposed to be here at 5:30 am. Yesterday I sent a text to 3 of my families who are part time and have different schedules every week asking them when they needed me this week. All of the families answered except the one who comes at 5:30. Usually every other week they need me on monday which would be today.

So I get up at 5 to see if they will show up. They don't show. At 6:30 my phone rings I did not answer it since I was in the bathroom. I get a message basically stating that dcb has 103 temp and swollen glands. Dcm was going go to stop by this morning but she was running late to work. Dcd is taking dcb to doctor. Dcm lost her cell phone and didn't have my number so she had to wait until she got to work to get another day care families number to call them to get my number and call me (they work at the same place).

My problem is that this is not the first time this has happened. I open an hour early for this family. I feel that as an adult she should have had the papers I gave her when she started with all of my numbers on them. Why would she not have numbers written down?? I'm so angry right now. I understand losing a cell phone but she didn't have a phone book to look up my home number?

So what would you do? They pay no matter what so money wise it doesn't make a difference I guess to me its the lack of respect and responsibility. I am considering terming them. Would you? Or am I just angry and over reacting?
JeepGirl6 04:51 AM 12-27-2010
I have had a parent like that also that some days the child comes at 6:30 and other days it can be anywhere between 6:30-9:00...The other children I care for come at 7:30..I get up early for this child so on the days she doesn't show up until later...makes me upset because everyone likes their sleep and that is earlier I get up and don't need to. So now I call the parents the night before and ask them what time they will be bringing their child, that way I know whether I have to get up an hour earlier or not.

I would just tell the parent that you open up early just for them so you need to know if they are going to come or not so you know if you should be expecting them or not...
Candyland 10:08 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I would just tell the parent that you open up early just for them so you need to know if they are going to come or not so you know if you should be expecting them or not...

I agree; make that phone call the night before.
mac60 01:13 PM 12-27-2010
I have in my contract that if you have a changing schedule, that you need it 2 weeks prior. Most people have their schedules ahead of time. Seriously, there is not reason that they should not be able to give you a schedule 1 to 2 weeks ahead of time, no reason other than no respect. I would also tell them, that should the schedule change last minute (night before) that you need to be notified. I don't think text msgs belong in a daycare business environment, but that is me and I am a little old fashioned when it comes to business and raising children.
marniewon 04:59 AM 12-27-2010
Start charging them a "late fee" for when they are late arriving without a phone call. I also have a "no show/no call" fee, if they don't call within an hour of when they were supposed to be here they get charged an additional fee. You will probably only want to charge one of the two, unless charging only one fee doesn't help the issue. Also, their childcare schedule needs to be given to you at the very latest by Friday of the week before. Again, a fee if it's not. It's amazing how people start to become "responsible" when they have to shell out money for being irresponsible!

It would be different if they came at a normal time, around the same time other children arrive. If you are getting up so much earlier, just for them, they need to be on time or call when they know they aren't going to there, or know they are going to be late.
nikia 05:03 AM 12-27-2010
So since she lost her cell phone and didn't have my number that will be her excuse for not calling. Still charge her? Give her my numbers once again and make a subtle point about being responsible?
marniewon 05:11 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
So since she lost her cell phone and didn't have my number that will be her excuse for not calling. Still charge her? Give her my numbers once again and make a subtle point about being responsible?
Give her your numbers again (she should already have them!!) and let her know that your policy is changing, and give her a list of fees that will be charged if they are late, if they don't call, if they no-show, if they don't have their schedule to you by Friday the week before, etc. You can tell her that you get up just for them, and you would appreciate a phone call when they are running late or not coming. I wouldn't charge her this time because she "didn't know about the charges" (unless you have it in your contract). But let her know that fees will charged from here on out.
SilverSabre25 05:23 AM 12-27-2010
Personally, I think you are just angry and overreacting. In this day and age, many, MANY people don't seem to have physical phone books. I know I don't. I keep the numbers in my head or in a document on the computer; DH keeps most of his numbers in his cell phone. I do tend to keep papers with important phone numbers--though I might not necessarily be able to find them at a moment's notice on a day when I have to get to work and my child was sick.

At least your family called...I've been waiting on my first family since 7. I'm really annoyed about it, too, because they originally told me that they didn't need me this week. They changed it literally last minute on Friday, saying they were going to "use daycare after all"--I think both parents are off this week and yet they're bringing her anyway. After the mom was gone on business for ten days and got back less than a week ago. *sigh* They finally showed up while I was writing this--at 8:45
nikia 09:24 AM 12-27-2010
So her phone must have magically appeared because she sent me a text that his fever is now only 99.9 not 103 and wants to bring him tomorrow at 5:30. By sickness policy states not over 100.0. Would you take the child? I'm thinking that its lower because of meds even though she says he hasn't had any.
marniewon 09:42 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
So her phone must have magically appeared because she sent me a text that his fever is now only 99.9 not 103 and wants to bring him tomorrow at 5:30. By sickness policy states not over 100.0. Would you take the child? I'm thinking that its lower because of meds even though she says he hasn't had any.
Nope, there's a huge difference between 99.9 and 103!! You don't make that mistake. I wouldn't allow him to attend. It sounds like they "picked" 99.9 so you would take him tomorrow.
Unregistered 09:53 AM 12-27-2010
Return to care AFTER child is Fever AND Symptom free 24 hours.

NOT 24 hours after onset of symptoms. HUGE difference. I would say Wednesday at the earliest if child was eating/playing well enough to participate ia all activities.

As far as DCM losing your phone number, I have to admit I don't know my own cell phone number. It is printed on my business cards and is only for business use.... If I lose Internet I would be in so much trouble. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, time to get some updated hard copies...
Reply Up