Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After hours of operation
Unregistered 06:39 AM 08-11-2015
What are regulations for friend's chold in my home after hours of operation
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What are regulations for friend's chold in my home after hours of operation
Depends on your state's licensing rules.

Most child care businesses have operating hours.

I would think that what you do with your non-business hours is your business.
Thriftylady 06:45 AM 08-11-2015
That depends entirely on your state regs and possibly on those of your county.
Play Care 07:22 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Depends on your state's licensing rules.

Most child care businesses have operating hours.

I would think that what you do with your non-business hours is your business.

Be careful though, many a provider has sought to do after hours care claimed "but I'm only watching a friends child!" Some states are saying that if you are licensed and are watching kids at any time you must have the paperwork in file and follow regs when the kids are in you care.
littletots 07:32 AM 08-11-2015
My license says if I'm getting paid, I'm open doing 2nd shift care.
MarinaVanessa 07:59 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
My license says if I'm getting paid, I'm open doing 2nd shift care.
This is how it is in my state too. I'm in CA and if I'm getting paid then I have to treat the child as a regular client and have to have all of my paperwork filled out. If you're doing this on occasion from time to time like when your friends are out to dinner dates or away for weekend getaway and you're getting paid I don't think licensing will show up in the middle of the night to check and make sure you're still awake etc. and if you're just watching your friends child after hours and not getting paid or if your own children have friends over for the night etc then I doubt you'd have to even keep paperwork.

If you ever have any children in your care during daycare hours I'd get paperwork filled out for the children even if you aren't getting paid.
Heidi 12:09 PM 08-11-2015
In WI you can be legally unlicensed if your caring for no more than 3 children under age 7, and children over age 7 are exempt period.

So, as long as you're not breaking those boundaries, what you do outside of licensing hours is not relevant.

Each state is different.

We can also have a child's friend over DURING childcare hours if they are over age 7, we are not being paid, and the child can (in theory) go home at any time. That one can be tricky. If you live next door...they can go home. If you're rural and have to picked up/dropped off, it's sort of up to licenser interpretation.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:28 PM 08-11-2015
It is my understanding that even if I am not getting paid, if a child is at my house without their parents, I have to have paperwork on them. When my kids were younger and they had a friend over I had to have paperwork.
Play Care 01:13 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
In WI you can be legally unlicensed if your caring for no more than 3 children under age 7, and children over age 7 are exempt period.

So, as long as you're not breaking those boundaries, what you do outside of licensing hours is not relevant.

Each state is different.

We can also have a child's friend over DURING childcare hours if they are over age 7, we are not being paid, and the child can (in theory) go home at any time. That one can be tricky. If you live next door...they can go home. If you're rural and have to picked up/dropped off, it's sort of up to licenser interpretation.
Our rule is similar though it goes on to say you really need to prove that A. The kids over are completely self sufficient and not taking the providers attention, or B. If there is another adult in the home (spouse) it's clear they are in charge of their child and the friend. This means dad can't be mowing the lawn or running errands

Thankfully after hours is my own time and I am not required to have paperwork on my kids friends if they come over in days off, weekends, etc. and I could reasonably watch a friends child on my time off without it being against licensing. I think they are really looking for those providers who are essentially doing second shift under the radar.
Reply Up