Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Notice Would You Give If Closing?
DBug 05:17 AM 10-18-2012
So, IF I do end up closing (we're still figuring out the finances), how much notice should I give?

My contract says 2 weeks notice for either the parents or myself. I've always assumed I'd give two months notice, just to be considerate of the parents, but now that I'm actually faced with the possibility, I'm not sure I want to give that much notice. If parents end up finding care right away, I'll be out hundreds of dollars, maybe thousands .

I'm thinking of maybe doing one month's notice, to give them lots of time (they'll be searching over Christmas if things go according to plan), but to minimize my losses. Is that fair?

I've got GREAT parents, so I don't want to stress them out. What would you do?
countrymom 05:40 AM 10-18-2012
acually because it will be over christmas I would give them 2 months notice. I know alot of providers who are on vacation or are closed on certain times, so they are going to need that extra time.
Cat Herder 05:54 AM 10-18-2012
Is there any way you can wait until the end of the year?
wahmof3 06:00 AM 10-18-2012
I would at the very least give them 30 days with the option to leave when they found someone else.

I agree with PP that a lot of providers are off around Christmas and I also agree that is you could stay open through the end of the year.

Good luck I am envious
DaisyMamma 08:16 AM 10-18-2012
Do what is best for you, just as they would do for themselves. It's business. If you have the luxury of having them leave right away and it not affecting you financially then it would be wonderful to give 2 months notice! If you actually want them to stay till the end, you have to give 2 weeks.
mema 11:46 AM 10-18-2012
My thought would be a month. I would also let them know that if they are leaving before that time is up, that they still need to give 2 week notice. So, if you give them notice on say Nov 30th that Dec 31st is your last day and a family finds somewhere and give you notice on the 7th, you would still have them until the 21st so you wouldn't lose too many days. If they don't give notice by the 18th, then I would assume they are there until the 31st.

I hope that makes sense. It's been a long week and the more I read it back to myself, the more confused I am
DBug 11:53 AM 10-18-2012
Okay, just to confuse matters -- I'm closed for Christmas holidays from the 24th to the 28th. The 31st is a Monday. Obviously, I'm not going to open on the Monday as my final day, so in any other month, my last day would technically be the 28th. The parents don't pay for my holidays at all.

So, if I give a month's notice .... do I tell them on November 28th that I'm closing on December 28th, or do I tell them on November 21st that I'm closing on December 21st (the last day before my holidays would start)?

They wouldn't be paying any more or less if they end up staying until the 21st either way.
mema 11:59 AM 10-18-2012
I would tell them on Nov. 23rd that Dec. 21st is your last day open. That gives them at least 4 full weeks and 5 full weekends to find care. They should already have something in place for the 24th-28th since it is your holiday-I assume they already know that?
DBug 12:11 PM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by mema:
I would tell them on Nov. 23rd that Dec. 21st is your last day open. That gives them at least 4 full weeks and 5 full weekends to find care. They should already have something in place for the 24th-28th since it is your holiday-I assume they already know that?
Yep, they do. I always hand out the full year's closure dates in January .

I like that idea -- telling them November 23rd. That gives them all of December plus some to find a new place.
AnythingsPossible 01:49 PM 10-18-2012
I would tell them after Thanksgiving. Frankly, I think the first of December would be sufficient as they already know about the end of the December closure. I hope to close at the end of 2013, and plan on telling everyone at the end of the week after Thanksgiving if I am able to close.
PolkaTots 03:35 PM 10-18-2012
You may have great parents, but as much as you would like to give them the courtesy of an extended notice, they will most likely quit as soon as they find alternate care. If this is something you are prepared for, then give them notice whenever. Otherwise, just give them a 2 week notice with a few referrals of other providers so they aren't too stressed. I made the mistake of telling a family I was closing at the end of May last month, because they had always been a great family, and today they tell me tomorrow is there last day! And I require a 30 day notice! They found someone they really liked, and wanted to get in before the spot was filled. Every parent is only out for themselves and their child. They do not have your interest, or how you need the income until then in mind. (Sorry for the vent)
momofboys 03:53 PM 10-18-2012
Ita with polkatots. The parents may be good but they also could be mad or unhappy that you would even dream of discontinuing care. I would not tell them until Dec. 1st, at least. Also, the last few weeks could be uncomfortable, parents know u are quitting and may question whether you really want to be watching their child.
Reply Up