Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Need to Vent a Little...
SimpleMom 11:05 AM 08-20-2009
I started a family about a month ago that really has gone quite well. I enjoy the children and the parents have been pretty easy going to work with...until now. I still enjoy the kids, but the parents are kinda rude to me at times and they keep making excuses for thier child breaking my things. It's been mattresses, outdoor climbers, clothespins, swings, etc. Some of it is disregard and some of it is intentional.

I just wish instead of making an excuse as to why her child breaks my things she would just tell him that it's not ok to do that no matter what the reason. Period. And I wish they'd pay for the replacement instead of tenatively offering to. ANd I wish wouldn't get mad at ME for letting them know that their child broke my stuff (which I only did once) and now they disect everything I do. Irritating.
Unregistered 12:34 PM 08-20-2009
You need to get ahead of this problem and make them aware that children can break things but it is not your responsibility to keep replacing them. I would put together a policy that evey parent receives at the start of their care. Put in that if items are broken that the parents will be notified and you will need to be reimbursed. Chalk it up as a learning experience.
SimpleMom 10:18 AM 08-21-2009
Thanks. Yeah, I will place that in my policy from now on. It's never been a huge issue before, but I just can't afford to replace things that get broken as it is let alone on 'purpose'.
ConcernedMotherof2 10:37 AM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
I started a family about a month ago that really has gone quite well. I enjoy the children and the parents have been pretty easy going to work with...until now. I still enjoy the kids, but the parents are kinda rude to me at times and they keep making excuses for thier child breaking my things. It's been mattresses, outdoor climbers, clothespins, swings, etc. Some of it is disregard and some of it is intentional.

I just wish instead of making an excuse as to why her child breaks my things she would just tell him that it's not ok to do that no matter what the reason. Period. And I wish they'd pay for the replacement instead of tenatively offering to. ANd I wish wouldn't get mad at ME for letting them know that their child broke my stuff (which I only did once) and now they disect everything I do. Irritating.
These are the sort of parents who boggle my mind. If a child breaks something, it is the parents' responsibility to pay for it. They are raising a real problem child if they can't take responsibility. It's teaching the kid he doesn't have to take responsibility either. I feel for you on this one.
pplsearch 12:19 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by ConcernedMotherof2:
These are the sort of parents who boggle my mind. If a child breaks something, it is the parents' responsibility to pay for it. They are raising a real problem child if they can't take responsibility. It's teaching the kid he doesn't have to take responsibility either. I feel for you on this one.
Yes, well sadly I think it's very easy for this happen. People don't always realize that even though the daycare service is in a person's home, that the home still needs to be respected.

I think drafting up an agreement in the policy would be a great way to empower yourself and have a legal way to talk about the issue if it happens again. Some parents may not like it, but you have to protect yourself.
tymaboy 01:15 PM 08-21-2009
I agree you must revise your policy to say that the parents are responsible for intentionally braking your property. After you do so I would give the parents an updated version of the policy & tell them that it effective immediately. I also have them sign my policy so they can not come back & say they did not know (which some will anyway but you can show them that they signed it saying that they did read it)

This is what I have stated in my policy
Originally Posted by :
Damages:
We believe children are responsible for their actions and we teach them to respect other
peoples property and the value of those items. Any damage to my home or personal belongings
that is due to roughness, tantrums or purposely broken or damaged by your child will be
replaced or repaired at the cost of the parents.
I will repair or replace broken daycare equipment and toys due to normal wear and tear.

MARSTELAC 06:51 AM 11-16-2010
Any ideas about disrespectful parents? I have some that toss their kids' dirty shoes against my light colored walls....put dirty shoes on my fabric covered bench..hang heavy things on coat hooks.etc...etc.... if I make comments, parents get annoyed and say they will fix them or "if little Joey breaks something I will come and repair it myself"....I told them I will hire someone to repair, not use their "services".... any ideas what to put in my new 2011 contract?
missnikki 07:12 AM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Any ideas about disrespectful parents? I have some that toss their kids' dirty shoes against my light colored walls....put dirty shoes on my fabric covered bench..hang heavy things on coat hooks.etc...etc.... if I make comments, parents get annoyed and say they will fix them or "if little Joey breaks something I will come and repair it myself"....I told them I will hire someone to repair, not use their "services".... any ideas what to put in my new 2011 contract?
As far as your contract, I like the "Damages" section posted by Tymaboy..

If you see it happen, you should mention it.
"Oh, please be careful when you put the shoes down, they tend to mark up the wall (or get my fabric bench dirty)." or
"I don't think that hook can support that heavy ___. Let's put it over here." or
"Oh no, the hook broke. I use that a lot, I'm going to need to replace it- I can give you a copy of the receipt for reimbursement or if you prefer, I can just add it to your invoice."
Tags:broken items, toys broken, vent
Reply Up