Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Just Me?
gbcc 01:48 PM 12-29-2009
So today I had a child wake up from nap and within 5 minutes began throwing up. That is the only thing I wont deal with. They are not allowed to stay in care if they throw up. So I called mom and she asked me what she got into. Are you kidding me? I was insulted. I fealt like being a smart a$$ but I bit my tongue and said, nothing this is just the time of year for stomach bugs. So then her sister wakes up and immediately begins to throw up. Mom gets here shortly after and ask the girls, what did you get into. They of course said nothing. I told mom again, it's just that time of year. She says, well I don't know anyone else that is sick right now. I fealt like saying have you not been to the stores lately?? They could have picked it up there. I just simply told her that all my cabinets are locked and she is free to look around. She said, oh no I know that. Maybe I took it wrong but I was very insulted she would ask me that and then ask the girls as if I was lying. How would you take this?
jen 04:06 PM 12-29-2009
Chalk it up to parental stupidity...people don't think at all before they speak. The kid was probably puking the night before and she was making sure to deflect any suspition by pointing fingers at you.
mac60 05:29 PM 12-29-2009
That would of totally pissed me off big time. That would be worth terminating if you could afford to......accusations like that don't stand good with me.
originalkat 05:39 PM 12-29-2009
Jen is right though. Don't give it too much thought. It is not worth it.
gbcc 06:05 PM 12-29-2009
Originally Posted by jen:
Chalk it up to parental stupidity...people don't think at all before they speak. The kid was probably puking the night before and she was making sure to deflect any suspition by pointing fingers at you.
It never accured to me that was what she was doing. Since both children were throwing up, it makes me wonder if someone in the home was recently sick and she new it was coming.

My first though was an accusation. I have never done anything to warrent the accusation but your reasoning really makes more sence.
ConcernedMotherof2 04:51 PM 01-03-2010
I understand how this made you feel, but could it possibly have been a simple miscommunication? What you took as an accusation may have simply been an over protective parent wanting to make sure that she had all the facts about why her kids were sick. She was definitely inconsiderate and not at all thoughtful of what it may sound like she was saying, but I wouldn't take it as an accusation. Maybe she's one of those parents who stays up watching movies on lifetime and let it effect her too much, lol.
gbcc 08:19 PM 01-03-2010
That's too funny! I love lifetime and lifetime movie network! Maybe I thought it was an accusation because I stay up and watch too many movies!! I may have taken it wrong but since she asked if they had anything new to eat and then asked what they got into... it seemed more like an accusation. I am insulted, but I'm not going to address it with her. I am just going to be very careful and observant and if it looks like she continues to distrust me I will address it and let her know she may be more comfortable going somewhere else. I don't need an overprotective parent ruining my reputation or causing more stress.
ConcernedMotherof2 06:58 AM 01-04-2010
If it were me, I would have to let her know how she came across and how it made me feel, but you have to do what makes you comfortable. Hopefully this will be an isolated incident, but there is no reason you should feel as though you're being accused of anything and she may even apologize when she realizes how inconsiderate she was.

And I watch a lot of lifetime, too, lol. Just sayin... a lot of people are hypocondriacs (wow... spelling... lol) by proxy. A sunday afternoon movie that would be simple entertainment to you and me gets into some people's heads and makes them a little paranoid about what's going on with their children when they're not around. Not defending her by any means... she was down-right rude! But you know what I'm saying Harsh words and confrontation may not be necessary, but you deserve to be treated better as the person who has opened your home to her children.
gbcc 08:08 AM 01-04-2010
Yes, I understand what you are saying! And agree.
Carole's Daycare 10:41 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
AGREED. She's just annoyed she had to pick them up and wants you to feel like crap. I would let her know that suggestion offended you and if she doesn't trust you to care for the children safely and wants to accuse you she should find other care. We had that bug run through my house too. I actually had one throw up at the lunch table. Then they all fell like dominoes one by one, except the family that had it before daycare and never told us, hence infecting us all by avoiding the 24 hr exclusion by not informing me of the illness and staying home. When the other kids are puking their parents will be annoyed at her.
Unregistered 07:10 PM 02-09-2010
We just had a little one throwing up yesterday during nap time. She kept coughing while trying to sleep, then woke up and puked. Then she threw up again, so I rushed her to bathroom so she could throw up in toilet since I knew more would be coming. Sure enough, the poor little girl kept coughing and throwing up. The owner told me it sounded like Croop and called her Grandma to see if she could come get her. When she picked her up she told me, "We have a wood stove and she didn't take her claritin today. It's just that old wood stove making her cough." I explained that she kept throwing up, thinking she hadn't understood that part. Again she blamed the wood stove and not taking her Claritin. Have any of you ever heard of a wood stove making a child throw up? Her cough sounded like she was congested rather than a dry cough that you'd expect from dry air.
Pammie 03:47 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have any of you ever heard of a wood stove making a child throw up? Her cough sounded like she was congested rather than a dry cough that you'd expect from dry air.
Not a wood stove exactly, but cough yes. My daughter had a very, very, very sensitive stomach until she was about 10. Anytime that she had a cough with a cold, allergy, whatever, it would cause her to vomit. The doctor explained that it had something to do with a valve on the top of the stomach that wasn't strong enough to stay closed (something like that - it's been years). He said that she would eventually outgrow it, and she did.
gbcc 03:55 AM 02-10-2010
If my son goes to a home that has a wooden stove then he will cough. It will be a dry cough over and over. If he lived there though, I can see his asthma/allergies flaring up to bronchitis. When he gets this it's a very dry cough that eventually hurts when he coughs. It means there is mucas or fluid in his lungs. Due to my son's allergies/asthma he gets tbronchitis very easily. If that is the case he will continue to vomit but it will be more musasy than food.

Even if there was a lot of mucas in her vomit, I would still exclude her from care for 24 hours.
mac60 04:36 AM 02-10-2010
If that is the effect a wood stove has on their child, they better consider a different heat source.
Daycare Mommy 05:28 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
I would let her know that suggestion offended you and if she doesn't trust you to care for the children safely and wants to accuse you she should find other care.
AGREED! I've terminated a few of these. IMO this is not the kind of job you can just ignore that lack of trust. This was just vomiting. Imagine if it had been a broken arm. They blame you for that and it's a lot more than just insulting. If they've settled in and had ample opportunity to get to know you and they still don't trust that you do the most basic childproofing, then I'd have a talk with them that would most likely end in 2 weeks notice.
Daycare Mommy 05:33 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I explained that she kept throwing up, thinking she hadn't understood that part. Again she blamed the wood stove and not taking her Claritin.
I have in my illness policy 24 hour exclusion if there is vomiting for ANY reason. With that it becomes a non-issue, they go home no matter what.
momma2girls 07:28 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I have in my illness policy 24 hour exclusion if there is vomiting for ANY reason. With that it becomes a non-issue, they go home no matter what.
THis is what I say as well!! I am a nurse, and still sometimes parents give excuse after excuse!!!
gbcc 08:57 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
AGREED! I've terminated a few of these. IMO this is not the kind of job you can just ignore that lack of trust. This was just vomiting. Imagine if it had been a broken arm. They blame you for that and it's a lot more than just insulting. If they've settled in and had ample opportunity to get to know you and they still don't trust that you do the most basic childproofing, then I'd have a talk with them that would most likely end in 2 weeks notice.
Yes, they are now gone actually. I coudn't get past this. I was always worried about something happening. She was part time so I found a full timer and used that as my termination reason. Mom is too cheap to pay full time so I knew it would work out!
Carole's Daycare 08:58 AM 02-10-2010
Congratulations!
momma2girls 09:38 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Yes, they are now gone actually. I coudn't get past this. I was always worried about something happening. She was part time so I found a full timer and used that as my termination reason. Mom is too cheap to pay full time so I knew it would work out!
Good for you!!! COngrats!!!
Unregistered 09:38 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
So today I had a child wake up from nap and within 5 minutes began throwing up. That is the only thing I wont deal with. They are not allowed to stay in care if they throw up. So I called mom and she asked me what she got into. Are you kidding me? I was insulted. I fealt like being a smart a$$ but I bit my tongue and said, nothing this is just the time of year for stomach bugs. So then her sister wakes up and immediately begins to throw up. Mom gets here shortly after and ask the girls, what did you get into. They of course said nothing. I told mom again, it's just that time of year. She says, well I don't know anyone else that is sick right now. I fealt like saying have you not been to the stores lately?? They could have picked it up there. I just simply told her that all my cabinets are locked and she is free to look around. She said, oh no I know that. Maybe I took it wrong but I was very insulted she would ask me that and then ask the girls as if I was lying. How would you take this?
I know just what you are saying, childcare is easy its the parents that make it hard.
Tags:bug. cold, claritin, croop, flu, nap, stomach bug, stomach flu
Reply Up