Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Running

We all can agree that children need exercise , and have plenty of energy! But do you allow running? I personally do not allow running INSIDE my house and I have one child that canít sit still alone resist the urge to run while encouraging others to join in, creating chaos ALL day. How do you all deal with this in the winter?
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

other physical activity, heavy lifting, sensory activities, dance breaks, strategically placing furniture to avoid "straight areas" to run in, getting outside regardless of weather, even if it's just 5 minutes.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I do allow running but there is a time and a place for it. Furniture is pushed back and giant bean bag landing pads are put out. The kids run back and forth to their hearts content. When the daycare is going as usual the furniture is placed in such a way as to not allow running.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
other physical activity, heavy lifting, sensory activities, dance breaks, strategically placing furniture to avoid "straight areas" to run in, getting outside regardless of weather, even if it's just 5 minutes.
Thank you! I never thought about lifting , but do have sensory activities, and all the normal indoor toys/games. I just struggle with running and jumping on furniture as the main interest 🤦*♀️
Old 03-04-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araem910 View Post
We all can agree that children need exercise , and have plenty of energy! But do you allow running? I personally do not allow running INSIDE my house and I have one child that canít sit still alone resist the urge to run while encouraging others to join in, creating chaos ALL day. How do you all deal with this in the winter?
How old is this child?

I don't allow the kids to play while on their feet.
All activities (other than the kitchen center) are done while sitting. This helps eliminate the urge to jump or run.

I also pair up kids so that two rowdy kids that encourage each other to be rough or wild do not ever play together.

Outside time is also a must no matter the season!
I live where it's super cold during the winter but unless it's like seriously below zero outside the kids still get dressed and run for a few minutes daily.

Outside, they are not allowed to sit unless in the sandbox..lol!
Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 AM
New Daycare.com Member

My kids usually don't run in the house, but sometimes they get excited or just really wired and end up running/chasing. When they get like that I give them the choice to play something else or crawl instead of run. A few times crawling around the chair instead of chasing the friend by running and they are ready to play something else. It's amazing how quickly the crawling seems to calm them down
Old 03-05-2020, 07:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
How old is this child?

I don't allow the kids to play while on their feet.
All activities (other than the kitchen center) are done while sitting. This helps eliminate the urge to jump or run.

I also pair up kids so that two rowdy kids that encourage each other to be rough or wild do not ever play together.

Outside time is also a must no matter the season!
I live where it's super cold during the winter but unless it's like seriously below zero outside the kids still get dressed and run for a few minutes daily.

Outside, they are not allowed to sit unless in the sandbox..lol!
I implement the same things here. There is ABSOLUTELY no running in my home. When my own son was 4, he and his sister were running around. My son fell, feet flew right up under him, he landed on his head. A less than split second accident. He fractured his skull and had a subdural hematoma (brain bleed) which required emergency neuro surgery, we almost lost him. We go outside here as much as possible to run and play.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie928 View Post
I implement the same things here. There is ABSOLUTELY no running in my home. When my own son was 4, he and his sister were running around. My son fell, feet flew right up under him, he landed on his head. A less than split second accident. He fractured his skull and had a subdural hematoma (brain bleed) which required emergency neuro surgery, we almost lost him. We go outside here as much as possible to run and play.
Oh my goodness!! That is crazy! I am so glad your son is okay!

But yes, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
So many kids are allowed to use their homes as gymnasiums that injuries WILL happen when all those kids are together in one area.

Liability for me trumps everything else.

A few years back I had just gotten a new playground set.
The slide was HUGE!! We made rules that only specific aged kids would be allowed to play on it.

One of my DCM's with a new 3 yr old was mad her child couldn't play in it. I explained why but DCM was too busy rolling her eyes to actually listen to what I was saying.

FF the next week, she shows up at daycare with her 3 yr old in a cast from her knee down. I asked what happened.

They had gone to the park over the weekend and someone went down a slide that was way too big for them to manage and they broke their ankle.
It wasn't a complicated break and the child quickly but I couldn't resist rubbing it in to DCM how right I was.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

I had a great 3 season porch.When it was raining or too cold we would put coats on.There was an oval rug they marched and pulled pull toys around the rug to music.Sometimes we would play like musical chairs only stop the music and they stopped.It helped to give some movement and exercise to their day in a controlled setting.Furniture was set up in other areas to discourage running.On same porch I had 3 large spring horses two small and a jumperoo along with a child size trampoline.We would move to that area for more expending of energy.It worked great when we couldn't go out.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:19 AM
New Daycare.com Member

We only run outside. We try to take a walk every day, weather permitting. Running is only allowed in the grass, not on the pavement.

Sometimes we do light exercises inside, if we canít get out, but that is controlled and supervised like anything else. Most of the time we donít make it through the whole exercise plan because someone loses self-control and we have to stop.

Bean-bag and marching games are always good. If I donít already have a headache, I will give them musical instruments and let them have their own parade 😳

Otherwise, jumping, twirling, wrestling, etc. of any kind is not allowed. Once any of it is allowed, itís just too much for little ones to remember the circumstances under which those things can be done. If I said they could do it only while the babies arenít walking and crawling nearby, they just arenít observant enough to know the difference. Just easier for them to remember it isnít allowed.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you so much for all the replies. Such great suggestions sometimes I feel like a broken record , constantly telling this child to stop running and it never fails, at some point in the day, a time out is necessary or worse, he gets hurt after falling down not to mention the feeling of chaos and out of controllness. I only have 2 more weeks of childcare ( Iíve decided after 17 years to discontinue- just too much for me to handle anymore). All these suggestions are great and will hopefully make these last 2 weeks easier. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
👍one of the first things my mentor taught me was how to set up an inside environment that does not say ďrunĒ. My play centers inside have one way in and one way out almost like a ďmazeĒ inside. 😊
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araem910 View Post
Thank you so much for all the replies. Such great suggestions sometimes I feel like a broken record , constantly telling this child to stop running and it never fails, at some point in the day, a time out is necessary or worse, he gets hurt after falling down not to mention the feeling of chaos and out of controllness. I only have 2 more weeks of childcare ( Iíve decided after 17 years to discontinue- just too much for me to handle anymore). All these suggestions are great and will hopefully make these last 2 weeks easier. Thanks everyone!
Good luck on your next venture.

I have the very same child. He's 4.5, he knows the rules but has to be reminded 10x a day.

He's even lost a tooth at my house from running & falling face first.

Anytime he starts flailing about or running, my mom voice comes out and yells "sit". And he sits. Right where he is. 10x a day.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:07 PM
False Sense Of Authority

I learned the "sit to play" rule from Blackcat years ago. I have a small classroom (12x14) filled with all this furniture and centers I must have for NAEYC and QRIS, and there's 11 of us in here...running is disastrous.

Tags
large motor play