Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Exclusion for Minor Symptoms
misol 08:42 AM 12-08-2010
Does anyone have a sick policy that excludes children with even mild to moderate symptoms of illness?
Anyone have a separate winter sick policy?
Do you think it would do any good to have the parents indicate each day (maybe via a check mark on the sign in sheet) whether the child has vomited, has had diarrhea, or has received any medication in the last 24 hours? I guess I am thinking that it's easy for them to not mention it at all or lie to your face but maybe they would think twice if they had to put it in writing? I could be reaching with this one.

I am aware of the hardship it may cause some parents but I sooo want to add a clause to my sick policy regarding children who aren't old enough to help contain their own germs (covering mouths when sneezing and coughing, being able to blow own nose and wash own hands, etc.) If the child is mobile and has even mild symptoms, I really don't want them here unless they can consistently cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze and can go wipe/blow their own nose and wash their own hands when told to do so. I guess that will mean that anyone between the ages of about 10months - 2 years with any symptoms of illness at all will have to stay home. I know this is extreme but sometimes I feel that this is what it has come to.

Seems like parents aren't teaching kids to cover mouths and noses when they cough or sneeze. Every time I'm out in public I get totally grossed out by the number of kids hacking and sneezing without covering. When my own kids were too young to do this for themselves I would use my own hand to cover their mouths but I don't see parents doing this either. When of my dck start, this is one of the first things I have to start teaching them.

Oh, and can someone please explain to me the whole "clear runny nose" thing? A runny nose is a runny nose - it's still a signal that something is wrong, correct? Even if it's just allergies, something is still wrong. I understand that colored discharge is a sign of the body fighting infection or whatever, but why isn't a constant, clear runny nose not a concern?
jen 09:04 AM 12-08-2010
I have to give you an honest answer here...if you don't allow children with mild illnesses in to care, you won't have any clients. The average child gets between 3 and 8 colds per year, and these colds are contagious for 2 to 3 days. If we run an average of 5 colds per year, at 2 days each, parents would miss a mimimum of 10 days JUST for colds. Now, if you add in the times that they are really sick, with other various viruses, parents could miss up to a full month of work.

I can't even tell you how many daycare clients I have because another provider called them to pick up for runny noses or mild coughs.

It is a lovely idea though!

Here is some informatin on colds that I pulled up for statistical purposes...

We call it the “common cold” for good reason. There are over one billion colds in the United States each year. You and your children will probably have more colds than any other type of illness. Children average three to eight colds per year. They continue getting them throughout childhood. Parents often get them from the kids. Colds are the most common reason that children miss school and parents miss work.

Children usually get colds from other children. When a new strain is introduced into a school or day care, it quickly travels through the class.

Colds can occur year-round, but they occur mostly in the winter (even in areas with mild winters). In areas where there is no winter, colds are most common during the rainy season.

When someone has a cold, their runny nose is teeming with cold viruses. Sneezing, nose-blowing, and nose-wiping spread the virus. You can catch a cold by inhaling the virus if you are sitting close to someone who sneezes, or by touching your nose, eyes, or mouth after you have touched something contaminated by the virus.

People are most contagious for the first 2 to 3 days of a cold, and usually not contagious at all by day 7 to 10
marniewon 10:53 AM 12-08-2010
I feel the same way - I would love to be able to exclude for colds! I have 2 right now who showed up coughing/sneezing/runny noses - neither can cover or wipe themselves. One of them showed up with a snot-encrusted face!

One thing I do have in my contract is if the child cannot comfortably participate, or if the child needs more attention than I can give due to illness (constant runny nose!) they will need to go home.

I totally get where you're coming from, I feel the same way, but I also came to the conclusion that if I excluded for colds too, I would have no clients
Reply Up