Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Picky Are You??
Mary Poppins 08:35 PM 01-27-2012
Just curious about how picky you are when taking on clients?

I'm relatively new to dc but I'm afraid I'm becoming a bit of a dc snob.
PitterPatter 09:01 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Just curious about how picky you are when taking on clients?

I'm relatively new to dc but I'm afraid I'm becoming a bit of a dc snob.
Well I was never picky, that was a lot of my problems! Now if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck at the interview then I know I will be cleaning up duck poop for the rest of the year!

I know you can't judge a book by it's cover but 1 family I was right on and didn't follow my instincts! DUH!
spud912 10:23 PM 01-27-2012
In reality it depends on how badly I need a spot filled. However, I try to be as selective as possible.
Unregistered 11:52 PM 01-27-2012
Take at least an hour in your interviews when you can. Sometimes you can tell within minutes. Other times parents are cautious and won't show their true colors til they are "comfortable" which takes about 30 minutes. The other 30 minutes is "filler" where they "talk" and out themselves in a lot of things. I learned a lot in my longer interviews. I could always tell the serious people from the ones who were wishy-washy and/or crazy (this was after 8 years of not learning my lesson, of course!) lol
Meyou 02:55 AM 01-28-2012
I'm very picky. I've interviewed up to 6 families for one spot before I've signed a contract with someone. I want healthy, active families with healthy, active, whole food eating kids who don't watch alot of tv. It's what works best with my program.
melskids 04:49 AM 01-28-2012
I'm pretty picky.

I can usually tell by the first phone call if they are a good fit or not.
AnneCordelia 05:07 AM 01-28-2012
I am very picky. My income is gravy and good providers are in demand in my area. The two together I am able to be quite selective, usually filling a spot from a half dozen interviews.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 01-28-2012
I am pretty picky too, I am like Mel and can usually tell during the initial phone call if they are going to be a good fit or not.

I also do a condensed version of Nan's interview process and interview a family more than once. 1st time is the Q & A part, 2nd is an observation and 3rd (if necessary) is a follow up.

When I interview parents, I do not ask the normal daycare questions, I ask them about how they parent and what their goals and wishes are for their child. THAT answer alone will tell you most everything you (as a provider) need to know. If I feel like they will work, I set up a 2nd interview.

Another interview tactic I use is to never just tell all about my program. I let the parent ask me. Sometimes what they ask is a great indicator of what they find important or what they value in a caregiver.

I NEVER enroll a family during the interview process. I always wait a minimum of 48 hours and then I contact them and offer them the space ONLY if I feel all went well.

So first 10 years in business, NOT picky at all....second 10 years, VERY picky.
Ariana 09:07 AM 01-28-2012
I'm much more picky about parents than kids but this isn't working well for me. I'm interviewing another family on Monday for a September spot and I'm going to be a lot pickier about things like language and tantrums. It's much easier to deal with that stuff in a centre or with an assistant etc. but in my home it's proving to be very difficult which was surprising to me. In a centre I was pretty good at handling anything thrown at me!!
Unregistered 04:50 PM 01-29-2012
Oh I KNOW I'm a daycare snob.lol
I had five go off to school this past September,I had five openings and interviewed 35 families.After several interviews you just know if they are going to be a good fit or not.
Some don't even make it to the second one.These are people who I will be involved with for another 4-5 years(minimum) If our morals or beliefs don't mesh it's just too hard for me to care for their children.I put too much effort into the children in my care to be involved in half-a*&ed parenting.Snob? Maybe but I love my job and I want to keep it that way.
I don't want to dread dealing with families that don't have respect for me or my daycare.Plain and simple!!!
Mary Poppins 09:13 PM 01-29-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh I KNOW I'm a daycare snob.lol
I had five go off to school this past September,I had five openings and interviewed 35 families.After several interviews you just know if they are going to be a good fit or not.
Some don't even make it to the second one.These are people who I will be involved with for another 4-5 years(minimum) If our morals or beliefs don't mesh it's just too hard for me to care for their children.I put too much effort into the children in my care to be involved in half-a*&ed parenting.Snob? Maybe but I love my job and I want to keep it that way.
I don't want to dread dealing with families that don't have respect for me or my daycare.Plain and simple!!!
THIS is what I'm becoming!

A few months ago I felt lucky to even get an interview and certainly didn't feel I had the right to be a "snob" but now? I am convinced it is the only way I will last in this business. Having to chase money or deal with behavior issues constantly (from parents and kids lol) just isn't worth it.

Plus, I am realizing just how great my dc is (not bragging, just being honest) and I deserve to have the best people I can find even if it takes longer to fill spots.
Daycaremomof2 11:37 AM 01-30-2012
I am extremely picky. I am cultivating a relationship with an entire family, allowing them into my home on a daily basis.

When I take a family I meet the child 1-2 times first, and have the parent bring the child during the day so I can see how they interact in our environment. I check out their jobs to make sure that they can afford to pay, and I have a lengthy conversation with them about my policies and procedures and make sure they are on board first, and that they understand everything.

Then I have a 2 week trial period, where anyone can cancel for any reason. In the past, I have lowered my rate to get particular families, and opened earlier too- I still have those kids but I am never ever going to make any special exceptions no matter what The extra 1/2 hour us killing me, and I didn't think through the rate very well when I quoted them; I cut mysef short. Learning as I go!
Tags:clients, potential client, potential families
Reply Up